Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

msoomro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

Hi,

I am debating between 24mm PC-E or 21mm Distagon to pair with D800E and looking for some suggestion / recommendations.

I realize both have pro and cons. Distagon is unmatched in IQ. PC-E on other hand gives the flexibility to shift for panoramic images.

thanks
msoomro

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:55 PM
tdong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

Zeiss 21mm at the location i just shoot. star trail i just set infinity and shoot
Nikon 24 pc-e i have to turn on liveview take more time adjust thing here and there then shoot

sold the 24 pc-e and bought the 14 24.

now i also have the 24pc-e bought it for a friend, back into my possession for a month and fell in love with all the buttons again.

However if i just can take one lens it is the 21mm that i would take since i like the 21mm wide angle view.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/ufiles/52/871652.jpg

Feb 19, 2014 at 02:09 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

msoomro wrote:
Hi,

I am debating between 24mm PC-E or 21mm Distagon to pair with D800E and looking for some suggestion / recommendations.

I realize both have pro and cons. Distagon is unmatched in IQ. PC-E on other hand gives the flexibility to shift for panoramic images.

thanks
msoomro

I believe the 24 PC-E is difficult to use on the D800 due to the clearance between the lens and the VF. Somebody shooting this combo can comment on that; however, the 2 lens you mention are to very different creatures. I loved the 21 and the 24, but sold both over the past 5 years. Regret selling the 21, but still don't find much need for the PC-E on the 24.

It was mentioned that live view was needed with the 24. Personally, I used live view often when using the 21. Critical focus with a 21 can be difficult, especially with my old eyes and the focus dot is not always reliable.

Both do make great photos. Just check on the clearance issue before considering the 24.

Feb 19, 2014 at 05:17 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

Had both with 800E. Sold 24, kept 21. The 24 PCE focuses closer than any other Nikon wideangle, but while being unbelievably high-resolution in the center, the performance falloff away from the center is easily noticeable on an 8X print. It took 8 months to sell it on a local listing.
I'd like a 28mm or 35mm tilt/shift lens instead.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:06 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

You need to tell us what you are shooting primarily.

The 24mm pc-e does a lot more than simply shifting for panoramas. The shift allows movement to control your perspective, allowing movement up or down, side to side, to do this. It also tilts to change the focal plane. Allowing lower apertures while retaining perceived sharpness throughout the image. The same can't be said of the Zeiss.

The tdong shot posted above is also not really a good comparison shot to what a pc-e lens does. He has it aligned perfectly dead center, a perfectly flat focal plane, not tilted up or down. Take that same lens and stand in front of a tall building, then tilt up to capture it all. The building will give the appearance of tipping somewhat. With the pc-e lens you can avoid this. His example is just an example of sharpness and color under ideal conditions. Also, that image is shot at f/18 whilst a similar image could probably be taken at f/5.6 or f/8 with the tilt shift.

So, in the end you are looking at two different tools.

Also, consider that with the 24mm pc-e you will not be able to shift to the full range due to it hitting the camera, with many bodies. That does not apply to the 45mm or 85mm pc-e lenses. They have complete movement.

In my seat of the pants opinion, the best of the three pc-e lenses is the 45mm.

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM
tdong
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

my sample wasn't for comparison I just post what I do with my 21mm. Any way the 24 pce shift doesn't hit the flash portion of the d800E will take a picture for you tonight

never mind just find it on the internet for you

http://static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00a/00aMx8-465063584.jpg

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:33 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

Yes it does.
The inner knob will hit when the lens is rotated the full 180 degree range.
At least if the lens is changed to put the tilt and shift on the same axis.
I own that setup also. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:00 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

Keith B. wrote:
Had both with 800E. Sold 24, kept 21. The 24 PCE focuses closer than any other Nikon wideangle, but while being unbelievably high-resolution in the center, the performance falloff away from the center is easily noticeable on an 8X print. It took 8 months to sell it on a local listing.
I'd like a 28mm or 35mm tilt/shift lens instead.

If you get a good copy of the 24mm PC-E, it is equally sharp from edge to edge. If you're seeing softness, you probably have a defective copy.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:06 PM
wiseguy010
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

ckcarr wrote:
Yes it does.
The inner knob will hit when the lens is rotated the full 180 degree range.
At least if the lens is changed to put the tilt and shift on the same axis.
I own that setup also. It's not something I'm unfamiliar with.

I spoke with a Nikon representative about this and he told me that the inner knob can be replaced with another one that doesn't hit the camera. They provide this as a service.

Feb 20, 2014 at 12:37 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

thanks all. Great feedback on the two lenses.

@Ckcarr. My primary genre is landscape. Also getting in some exterior architecture, but only 5% of the time.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:05 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

I had the zf21 & sold it in favour of the 24 pc-e. I could get images sharp front to back with the pc-e, something you can't do with the 21 there is acceptable sharpness & sharp. What I did start to wonder was whether it was limiting any creativeness by always having the image sharp. But I did love viewing the files & always took front to back sharp images rather than selected focused images.

With the axis's aligned one knob will hit the top, but you just don't go that way, rotate it the other direction & it isn't a problem.

I still loved my ZF, I'd have both if I could...cept now I have Canon...pew pew

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

molson wrote:
If you get a good copy of the 24mm PC-E, it is equally sharp from edge to edge. If you're seeing softness, you probably have a defective copy.

Hmmm...Oh well, it's gone now. I only had the one.
I did not see classic lousy-lens softness, but rather a plummeting of the tangential MTF, while the sagittal MTF held decently. It was instantly observable on vertical shots of tall glass and steel office buildings.

Feb 21, 2014 at 02:47 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

msoomro wrote:
@Ckcarr. My primary genre is landscape. Also getting in some exterior architecture, but only 5% of the time.

Now it rings a bell. Went back and looked at your Death Valley images. Good stuff!

Feb 21, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

I never used the PC-E but the Zeiss 21mm is nothing short of amazing

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · PC-E 24mm OR Zeiss 21 Distagon?

I don't ow the Zeiss, but my copy of the 24mm PC-E is sharp from edge to edge.

It's hard sometimes, but I really do believe in using the right tool for the right job. The PC-E has its uses, and when it's needed, nothing else would do; but I don't use it all the time. That's why I have the 24mm/1.4G.

What do you heed the lens for? If you need tilt/shift functions, great control over DOF, the Zeiss just won't do it like the PC-E can. But if what you need is a sharp, top performing super-wide, Zeiss may be your answer!

Feb 21, 2014 at 01:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.