New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Matthew Cham
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Anybody here using 128GB CF card with D3s?

I tried the Transcend brand 128GB and 64GB CF cards on my D3s and I am having delays on image playback. When I push the play button it takes 7 to 10 seconds for the image to show up on the LCD. In comparison, using a 16GB card the playback is instant.

I do not know if this delay occurs even with Sandisk and Lexar brand 128GB CF cards. Anyone have experience with these?

Just to clarify the 7 to 10 second delay I am experiencing, here are more details:

I set the camera to write JPEG+RAW to one card only.
The camera (D3/D3s) contains only one CF card. Second CF slot is empty.
I take one photo.
The LCD shows the preview instantly (so far so good).
I take a break for 30 seconds (or 3 minutes, the time makes no difference).
I now press the play button to view the 1 picture I just took.
The image does not show on the rear LCD until about 7 to 10 seconds (this is the problem).

This problem occurs whether the card is empty or almost full. The 7 to 10 second delay is not related to how full the card is.

I see this problem on Transcend 64GB and 128GB cards. It's not a manufacturing defect because I tested 2 of each and all 4 cards had the same behavior. Other than this playback delay problem, the cards worked perfectly. I do not have this problem on my 32GB and smaller cards. People on newegg.com have also reported this problem on their Nikon DSLRs but apparently not on Canon DSLRs, which suggests a compatiblity problem rather than a simple "larger cards have longer delays", but this is just word of mouth with no actual evidence.

I do not know if Sandisk and Lexar have the same problem on Nikon D3/D3s, and I have no way of testing. Anyone know if Amazon.com will allow you to return an opened CF card package?

Edited on Feb 21, 2014 at 06:51 AM · View previous versions

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

WOAH! Why would you want to use such a large card given the risk of card failure or corruption? It's not like 12MP files are that big. You can fit over 400+ raw files on an 8G card. In fact, I don't use cards larger than 8G. If I go to a 24MP camera, I'll likely get some 16G cards but that's it. Smaller cards are more reliable and if they do go bad, you loose less.

As to your question:

1) Transcend cards are not as well known as Sandisk or Lexar, for quality or speed. but I have no data on such large cards.

2) Larger cards have more addressing to go through to retrieve images ... but I'm not expert of file addressing or retrieval.

I sure hope someone here on the forum can answer your question more definitively.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Andre Labonte wrote:
WOAH! Why would you want to use such a large card given the risk of card failure or corruption?

On a D3/D3s all images are written to both cards simultaneously, so there's an in-camera backup. My wife and I shoot weddings and larger capacity means less card changes and less chance of running out of space at the worst possible time.

Anyway, I hope someone has an answer to my question. It's possible that all CF cards greater than 64GB will exhibit this 7 to 10 second delay, regardless of brand/model. I'm in NY City and BH Photo does not have any floor models for testing. They also have a no-refund policy for opened CF card packages. Adorama rentals does not have these cards available for rent. $400 to $500 is a lot of money for a CF card that does not work properly.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Ah, good point about the back-up card slot ... my lowly D300 only has one card slot so I don't take any chances with big cards ... I may change that if I get a camera with 2 slots ... but still, 128G is just HUGE! I'm not sure too many people use them, so the pool of people to answer your question is small.

Can you return the card on the grounds that it is not working as advertised or expected? It's worth a shot.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:47 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I haven't used anything larger than 32gb on my D3 series bodies, but on my D4 some cards don't even work at all (like the latest sandisk extreme pro 160mbs), so I have a feeling it has more to do with specific card models not working than the size itself.

From what I'm told 128gb cards should be fine on the D3 though, since the architecture isn't drastically different from the smaller cards. I recall there being a firmware update a while back to add support for large cards though.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I'm not so sure about a 7-10 second delay. Are you double writing and trying to playback as soon as the shot is done? But with my D300 i've notice issues with a 32GB card when trying to playback images right after shooting. The camera hard locks the playback and the only way to get it to work right is to do a quick on/off and its back to normal or shoot another frame and hope it clears it.

It has a slight possibility it is the card. I mean there is a price difference between the cards but not enough to make it have a delay like that.

And from what i'm reading regarding the D4 problem sound more like when you're trying to do a 2nd copy shooting. Not owning a D4 myself. Just it sounds like one of those techincal SNAFU's that they never expected CF cards to reach those speeds and the internal camera write lanes aren't fast enough to feed both cards at full speed. Given that their workaround is to not use XQD at the same time.

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:18 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I've not shot 128's but 64's. I find that when I shoot JUST RAW and no jpeg to card 2, there is a minor(jittery motion) delay in scrolling on play back. But 7-10.. Nope. This is on a D3 and 2- D3s bodies.

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:11 PM
davidnholtjr
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Matthew Cham wrote:
Anybody here using 128GB CF card with D3s?

I tried the Transcend brand 128GB and 64GB CF cards on my D3s and I am having delays on image playback. When I push the play button it takes 7 to 10 seconds for the image to show up on the LCD. In comparison, using a 16GB card the playback is instant.

I do not know if this delay occurs even with Sandisk and Lexar brand 128GB CF cards. Anyone have experience with these?

What is the speed of the cards?

Some cards have faster write speeds then the read speed and that could be why it takes longer to see the image preview.

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:46 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I started noticing long waits for image playback on a D3 and D3S when I went to 32gb cards. I did a LOT of tests with cards of various sizes (8-32gb), brands (Transcend and Sandisk), and speeds. I found that the speed of image review was directly related to both the size and speed of the cards. Two 32gb fast cards would have a similar delay as two 8gb slow cards. One 32gb fast card and one 8gb fast card would be faster than two 32gb fast cards. Etc.

The bottom line is that it's an inherent downside of using large OR slow cards. Use the smallest cards you need and the fastest speed you can afford.

Feb 20, 2014 at 01:04 AM
Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

(moved the contents of this post to the OP)

Edited on Feb 21, 2014 at 06:52 AM · View previous versions

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:26 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Matthew

The dual card system is defeated using only one card.

I shoot 64 gb Trans CF and record 2000 RAW images on my 1DsIII

I shoot 16 gb Trans SD and record 2000 LJPG images and I playback LJPG from the SD.

Test with a second card or PM me.

Amazon will take the return and www.mydigitaldiscount.com offers Ridata 128gb CF 1000x for $200.

The manufacturer will not answer your question because the card did not exist before the camera went into production.

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:55 AM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

It could be just the card, its technically compatible but maybe the controller they used just doesn't communicated the "read" side with the nikon at full speed.

On the Canon side with MagicLantern users they all gravitate towards KomputerBay which is much more risky than transcend. Just because the price point is much lower even compared to Transcend.

Personally if you're local to NYC you have access to shops that will work with you to figure out the problem and obviously sell you the working product if one exists.

Feb 20, 2014 at 01:43 PM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Try formatting the card in a computer and give it a larger cluster size. I'm pretty sure Nikon firmware uses 16kB clusters, which is very small for a 128GB volume. As a result the firmware can end up thrashing on the FAT, especially if after sleep it decides it needs to refresh it because the card might have been swapped out.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I did a quick google search and found similiar complaints with the D700 (thread here)

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Matthew Cham
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Thanks snapsy for that post. I have the exact same 7-10 sec delay problem and it seems that many Nikon D700 D3 D3s users also have the delay problem with Transcend 64GB and 128GB. Nobody complains of the same problem with Sandisk 64GB or Lexar 64GB. Either people are not buying Sandisk/Lexar 64GB (due to price) or those brands have no delay problem. I think it's the former because no Sandisk 64/128 user has come forward to say they have no problem. I might buy a Sandisk 128GB from Amazon and give it a try - I just didn't want the hassle of buying and returning if capacity is the root cause of the delay problem.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:02 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I have occasional delays of 3-5 seconds on an older Sandisk 32GB Extreme Pro, but it's not worth fussing over to me. Especially when the camera is woken up with the play button. The speed of the card probably makes a difference, mine's an older 95 MB/s version (if I remember correctly).

Feb 21, 2014 at 01:41 PM
rand17
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

I had a problem with the second CF bay when I shot video

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:07 PM
rand17
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3s and 128GB CF cards

Of course Nikon blamed Lexar and Lexar blamed Nikon

Feb 25, 2014 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.