FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Double Exposures

skiboarder72
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Double Exposures

So what's everyone's opinions on double exposures? This is a shot I created in-camera from an engagement session I shot earlier today. I really like it but I just hate creating trendy/stylistic images that won't stay timeless forever. I know double exposures are really a left over process from the film days, but now that we can create these without having to resort to post processing with digital, I'd love to know everyone's thoughts and opinions.

http://www.joshjonesphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/20140218_sunset_february_engagement_photos_0471.jpg

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Double Exposures

Can't see image

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Double Exposures

A lot of people seem to think they're gimmicky and the fad is over.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Double Exposures

Great pic. I think that as long as it is done well it will always look good.

People think a popular technique is a fad when everyone is doing it and 90% do it badly or exactly the same as the majority.

Some are using double exposures in ways that are not obvious too.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Jd3774life

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Double Exposures

I think the picture turned out great! It makes the scene look more full and not just dull. Love it!

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Double Exposures

I still like them and when I've done them in the past they have ended up on our clients walls. Who cares if its a fad..if its good art and the client likes digs it..go for it!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:24 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Double Exposures

I do think that, if you are going to do them, they should be done in camera and not in post.

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:09 AM
drea111982

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Double Exposures

Double exposures will always remind me of being in a darkroom. However, most consumers do not realize that this use to be done in the darkroom and isn't a newer thing. I would say to offer a double exposure to your customer if you like how it turned out. Then gauge how they respond and how other "non-photographers" respond. If your market likes double exposures offer them. If they don't then you now know.

Feb 19, 2014 at 04:56 AM
VickiB
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Double Exposures

Attack of the plant people!

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:03 AM
pette87
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Double Exposures

can't see the image...

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:20 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Double Exposures

I like it. And personally I don't worry about what other photographers think about the "trend" or "fad". They aren't booking me. Anytime I've done it clients have liked it. I show one per wedding or session, so who cares if you have one image that isn't considered "timeless" .

Anyways just my .02 cents. Shoot what you love not what others think you should love.

Feb 19, 2014 at 09:51 AM
mitch91175
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Double Exposures

To me it is trendy and you have to ask yourself would you put it in your portfolio to show potential clients. If you have the original exposures then you could keep those for future use.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:57 PM
joelewisphoto

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Double Exposures

I agree, if you dig it, and the clients love it, who cares. personally i like them if they are done well, and in camera.

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:53 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Double Exposures

Why is everyone all about doing them in camera? Its the same as doing it in post, no?

Feb 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.