New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2014 · Scammers in our Midst

sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scammers in our Midst

Been getting inquiries via PM's for my cameras in the B/S. These jokers are going to do me a favor by PP gifting me. They always want expedited shipping for an upcoming shoot. You folks be careful and don't let them get you...

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scammers in our Midst

Good heads up, Jarvis. Unfortunately, greed is a powerful emotion, and one that often leads to us abandoning our better judgment. That's usually when we find ourselves in trouble . Many of the scams we see revolve around either "too good to be true", or being penny wise and pound foolish in a quest to save a few bucks.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scammers in our Midst

Thanks for the warning. But, isn't paypal gift benefiting the seller?

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scammers in our Midst

yeah, im confused, how are they scamming you

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scammers in our Midst

No its not. You think it is but its not. It's the worst thing you can accept as it has all the assurances taken off. All you gain is saving 2.9%.

The buyer loads their funds into the account via a credit card.

They send you paypal gift.

They call their credit card stating the charge was unauthorized.

The second they do that you are out the money and the merchandise. Paypal will not do a single thing to help you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Cicopo
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scammers in our Midst

As above. Why would you expect Paypal to protect you when you dodged their fees?

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scammers in our Midst

sivrajbm wrote:
Been getting inquiries via PM's for my cameras in the B/S. These jokers are going to do me a favor by PP gifting me. They always want expedited shipping for an upcoming shoot. You folks be careful and don't let them get you...

For reference, there are folks targeting these kinds of exploits against people in almost any area of endeavor you can imagine. There is a whole scam aimed at music teachers. Another targets people selling art. And on and on and on...

Dan

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scammers in our Midst

Its more than them just not protecting you. You'll quickly find that your account will be "permanently limited" for violating their user agreement. They turn against you the second they find out that not only did you do this to dodge the fees but you also cost them money for the charge back fees associated with visa and mc.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scammers in our Midst

Hmmm...i didn't realize this about PayPal gift. I just paid for a purchase this way today! This is good to know, thanks for pointing it out.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:39 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scammers in our Midst

blitzn wrote:
Hmmm...i didn't realize this about PayPal gift. I just paid for a purchase this way today! This is good to know, thanks for pointing it out.

Hope you didn't use your existing Paypal balance. You should never ever do it.

You should always make Paypal payments from a pre existing credit card linked to the account for your safety.

I mean paypal relies on people using the paypal balance since they make more doing so.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:41 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scammers in our Midst

aspirebooth wrote:
No its not. You think it is but its not. It's the worst thing you can accept as it has all the assurances taken off. All you gain is saving 2.9%.

The buyer loads their funds into the account via a credit card.

They send you paypal gift.

They call their credit card stating the charge was unauthorized.

The second they do that you are out the money and the merchandise. Paypal will not do a single thing to help you.

How can you pay gift using credit card? It has to be from paypal balance, right?

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scammers in our Midst

They can load the paypal account from their credit card and even their bank account.

It's super easy to get your financial institution to reverse the charges and even easier to get a credit card company to do the same.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM
matanuska
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Scammers in our Midst

I usually hear from buyers that they are hesitant to use PayPal gift assuming they are the ones losing protection. Ironic that it's actually the other way around!

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:51 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Scammers in our Midst

Wow, it is very disturbing.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Scammers in our Midst

Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Scammers in our Midst

You both lose protection.

1. If the buyer actually uses their Paypal balance they are screwd.

2. If the buyer opens a charge back dispute with the financial institution paypal will come after you for the money and you'll be out the item you sold.

If you do some reading online you are going to find out there are hundreds of thousands of complaints from consumers that have had this happen to them.

The number one rule, NEVER give paypal your SSN. I mean EVER. You'll notice that field is always optional unless you are applying for Paypal PRO.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:00 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Scammers in our Midst

I should clarify this. Paypal actually has no right to make you re-pay them if this does happen to you. Ironically enough they are the actual merchant account holder with visa, mc, amex. They essentially underwrite every single account for insurance purposes and they are covered for this sort of thing happening.

The problem being they offer assurances but they really do not want to ever give them out. Sort of like a standard insurance company.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Scammers in our Midst

Pretty common on B&S for sellers to demand 3% extra or PayPal gift.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM
matanuska
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Scammers in our Midst

I think I will simply start asking for +1.5%. I'll split the fee with the buyer as it protects both of us.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:46 PM
aspirebooth
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Scammers in our Midst

That would be a rather fair thing to do one would think.

I mean they are saving money by buying from the B&S board. You are saving some on the fees. I mean if you sold it on ebay you'd pay the 10% plus the 2.9%.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:30 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.