New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · DSLR starter kit?

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DSLR starter kit?

A friend of mine is ready to move up from point-and-shoot cameras, and is using me as his guide into more a serious camera system. Here is his response to my question about what he would like the new system to do:

"I'm limited in focal length, the speed of the lens and the camera in available lighting situations, and even viewing in strong light. I would also like to feel capable of larger format prints that are sharp, edge to edge, and have more manual control options."

He also mentions "ease of use" several times. After discussion, he seems more drawn to a DSLR over mirrorless systems, and has a budget of $600-700.

Buying new, that would cover the Rebel T3i with kit 18-55 lens. My style has been to buy used, especially bodies, and take advantage of the rapid depreciation they see in the market. With this is mind, he could get a used 40D or 60D, and put some money into a better lens, such as the Tamron 17-50.

I haven't kept track of the marketplace for entry level cameras, so I feel like I am winging it a bit. I had a 40D in the past and liked it, but haven't looked back since I got the 5D MIII. Any advice from those with more experience would be appreciated.

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:32 PM
docsmiles17
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DSLR starter kit?

Well for 600-700 and wanting edge to edge sharp large prints and a fast lens seems a lot to ask for in his price range.

I would suggest not only a pre-owned body but lens as well….as to which ones I am sure others will chime in on options but I would suggest he does some of his own research as thats really the best way he will learn what is best for him.

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:52 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DSLR starter kit?

A 5D and beg or borrow for a 24-105 - both used but in good condition. Then save toward a single fast prime?

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:53 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DSLR starter kit?

5D would chew up most of his budget, I am trying to push towards cheaper body and more expensive lens. Since he is moving up from a point-and-shoot, I think he will be pleased with any of the options above.

Any input on the Canon 18-55 vs the Tamron 17-50? The former has IS, but I hear the image quality is better with the Tamron.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:38 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DSLR starter kit?

jstephens62 wrote:
5D would chew up most of his budget, I am trying to push towards cheaper body and more expensive lens. Since he is moving up from a point-and-shoot, I think he will be pleased with any of the options above.

Any input on the Canon 18-55 vs the Tamron 17-50? The former has IS, but I hear the image quality is better with the Tamron.

Both lenses have superb IQ, and a used 17-50 is an incredible bargain. I recently did a landscape infinity test of my Nikon D5100 + 17-50; you can see the results here. Obviously would apply to the Canon-mount version of the lens.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM
durianisgood

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DSLR starter kit?

Personally I would recommend a used combination of T3i, 18-55, and 50 1.8. This is will let him explore DSLR photography without a large investment. Once he has a better idea of what he wants then he can start upgrading lenses/bodies while not losing much on those items.

Regarding image quality between the 18-55 and 17-50, he'll probably be happy with either if he's moving up from a point-and-shoot.

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:57 AM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DSLR starter kit?

The Rebel T3i and the 18-55 kit lens is a great place to start. I did the same DSLR start with the XSi camera, and slowly upgraded to better lenses. Then I finally bought the 6D as my needs grew.

Feb 19, 2014 at 02:25 AM
rongoe
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DSLR starter kit?

touch screen on the t4i (and improved video) was nice and might find one for not much more than the t3i.

Feb 19, 2014 at 07:47 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DSLR starter kit?

The t3i with the kit lens is a great starter DSLR - that's specifically what it is designed to be, and I does a fine job in that role.

For most people - especially those moving up from P&S systems - the small body size isn't an issue at all. (In fact, some prefer it. A friend who is a published photographer and who has shot larger systems has now moved "down" to an SL1-based system for its smaller size and lighter weight.) These cameras have a feature set that surpasses that of the more expensive cameras from just a few years back.

About the desire to print large and all of that - basically just about every new DSLR owner thinks that will be the case. For a few, that actually happens, For far more the largest print they'll ever make is letter size, and for the vast majority there will never be any printing. There is a possibility that your friend might eventually become specialized enough to find the t3i isn't enough camera but a) that is unlikely and b) at that point he'll have a better idea of specifically what more capable gear to acquire at that point.

Good luck,

Dan

jstephens62 wrote:
A friend of mine is ready to move up from point-and-shoot cameras, and is using me as his guide into more a serious camera system. Here is his response to my question about what he would like the new system to do:

"I'm limited in focal length, the speed of the lens and the camera in available lighting situations, and even viewing in strong light. I would also like to feel capable of larger format prints that are sharp, edge to edge, and have more manual control options."

He also mentions "ease of use" several times. After discussion, he seems more drawn
...Show more

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:30 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DSLR starter kit?

I think his desires are a bit high compared to his budget. The starter rebel kit will certainly be an upgrade but your friend should be aware in advance that he will still be challenged by low light situations with a crop body and moderately slow lens. Things will be better but his system won't compare well with your camera system. Maybe when you two hang out he can borrow one of your faster lenses to be more satisfied with the camera body. Be careful with any EF-S lens purchases as I suspect a full frame is a future purchase.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:46 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DSLR starter kit?

I agree with all regarding the T3i w/18-55 II lens, it's a great entry point.

Currently you can get that combo as a refurbished kit with 1 year warranty for $480 before tax. If the budget has a bit more room you could add the EF 50 f1.8 'the nifty fifty', a faster lens can help and these as a refurb are only $101. But, don't forget a bag and accessories for the larger kit; one or more SD cards, a spare battery, lens/microfiber cloths, etc.

If buying used is a viable option then do search the 'Buy & Sell' forum here on FM. I've purchased many items, bodies, lenses, flash, etc. and all equipment has been top notch and sellers great...pricing is fantastic, and sometimes some of the accessories are included; SD cards, etc.when buying a body/lens kit!

Cheers,
Jerry

Here's the Canon refurb info...

Link to refurbished T3i kit...
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras/eos-rebel-t3i-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-lens-kit-refurbished

Link to refurbihsed 'Nifty Fifty'
http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-digital-slr-camera-lenses-specials/lenses-flashes/refurbished-lenses/ef-50mm-f-18-ii-refurbished

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:54 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DSLR starter kit?

dgdg wrote:
I think his desires are a bit high compared to his budget. The starter rebel kit will certainly be an upgrade but your friend should be aware in advance that he will still be challenged by low light situations with a crop body and moderately slow lens. Things will be better but his system won't compare well with your camera system. Maybe when you two hang out he can borrow one of your faster lenses to be more satisfied with the camera body. Be careful with any EF-S lens purchases as I suspect a full frame is a future purchase.

Be cautious about recommendations to avoid EFS lenses in case he might, maybe, possibly, someday want something that won't work with the cropped sensor body.

One could have said the same thing about his previous P&S: "Don't buy a P&S cameras, since some day you might want a DSLR." ;-)

Basically, get the right stuff for what you know you need now. If - and that's a big "if" - the person ends up moving on to something different later on, such as a full frame system, he can simply sell (or give away) the existing system and lenses, or keep it around as backup or gear for informal shooting.

Dan

Feb 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
bbasiaga
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DSLR starter kit?

I found a rebel T3 kit with the extra 75-300 lens for less than $500 around the holidays. Not sure what they are going for today, but I'd guess within that budget. Great place to start. Not for pixel peepers, but stepping up from P&S to even the lower end DSLRs offers a big image quality improvement for those who look at the whole image. I'd go that way.

-Brian

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:27 PM
shane8168
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DSLR starter kit?

I had a 60D that was a really good bargain. I bought it used and wouldn't hesitate to recommend that to him. I am really budget limited being a teacher, so I have a couple of tamron lenses, 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 and 28-75 f/2.8 that are both really good for the money I paid used.

Not sure if this helps or not, but there are my thoughts.

Feb 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DSLR starter kit?

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate all the thought and attention the forum has put into this.

Honestly, I think he will be happy no matter which decision he makes. One advantage of buying used is that if you do want to move up, you can sell for not much of a loss as most of the depreciation has already happened. I like the idea of refurbished too, that is how I got my 40D and 5D MIII and was happy with both of them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.