New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

Thought I would try out their complete package demo for Lightroom. Some of it is actually quite good and I might have found ways to incorporate it in my current workflow until I found an installed hidden "extra". It seems they have incorporated Nalpeiron to manage activation. There is no mention of this in their documentation yet there it is in the startup section of my iMac. I opened up a conversation with them asking if it will be removed upon activation of a paid license. Their response was no, it remains to continually validate. Personally I dislike companies that do this sort of thing and not be up front about it so I told them I will not be purchasing their software.

Maybe not an issue for others, but at least you now are aware of it.

Matt

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

Adobe also has a persistent licensing service that cannot be removed as do many other software vendors. It is not a new thing.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:25 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

No, both definitely CAN be removed and/or defeated and/or thwarted!

In fact after installing the recent Perfect 8 freebee LittleSnitch comes up on first session use - every time. And every time I deny it access - I could make a permanent rule but I like to see how things act and don't mind the clicks. It's always denied but it always performs it's tasks perfectly.

I agree not telling users it's there is underhanded and sneaky but just installing LittleSnitch will kill the affects of it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:42 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

Was actually thinking of picking this up. Anyone have any reviews of the software itself? I can deal with the licensing check ins.

Feb 25, 2014 at 08:37 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

GC5 wrote:
Was actually thinking of picking this up. Anyone have any reviews of the software itself? I can deal with the licensing check ins.

I bought the suite mainly to get Perfect Mask, which is a very well regarded and effective masking tool. I have played around with the rest and it seems to have good tools. I also have Portrait Pro and I want to do a comparison of the results from the two. It is reasonably priced and I think it's a worthwhile purchase.

Feb 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OnOne Photo Suite - BE AWARE

I find that it's various modules work fine if you open OnOne in its standalone configuration. However when I attempt to open it in a workflow process I have to be very conscious of how many programs I've got open if I want to keep from crashing, locking up the program, or even crashing my whole system. For instance, if I open an NEF file from Lightroom, OnOne will convert it to a TIFF or PSD file through Photoshop, which also stays open in background. I've learned that the combination of having all three programs open is potentially deadly. Doesn't matter how much hard drive space I've devoted to Photoshop and Lightroom for cache or scratch space, the result is almost always the same. As long as I remember to close Photoshop, I'm okay, otherwise, I'm courting disaster. I'm using an Intel I7 processor with 8gb or RAM; maybe not the fastest rig around, but certainly strong enough for most photo applications. Normally, a program this glitchy and memory intensive I'd be a lot harder on, but love the effects module.

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:45 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.