Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Michaelparris
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Wine tasting with the wife this weekend.

While watching a glass blowing exhibition. In walks a photographer loaded for bear.
Huge backpack stuffed to the gills. Tripod mounted on backpack. Gripped Canon 7d with a HUGE lens mounted on it.

I watched as he struggled to get the backpack off. After doing so he hands it to his wife saying,"Hold this and don't set it on the ground" (thing had to way a ton)....

Off he trekked into the mid-day sun to stalk his prey.

God, I love my new (to me) Fuji X100 for non-paying day trips......

Feb 17, 2014 at 05:56 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

I'm neither of you...but thanks for askin'

Feb 17, 2014 at 05:59 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

you are who are today because of who you were. dont judge the dude...you sound like a dbag. he was perfectly happy in his world...isnt that awesome?

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:45 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

If I'm going to a wine tasting with my wife, I'm probably not bringing any camera. But if I'm out on a shoot, particularly a professional gig, you're darned tooting that I'm bringing my case and lights if needed.

So I don't think that's a fair thing to say. That guy may have been on a gig and his wife may have tagged along. I wouldn't say that to my wife, or ask her to hold something heavy, but if she accompanies me on a gig, she knows exactly what she's getting into. And that's why if I accompany her on a wine-tasting, I leave the camera home.

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:50 PM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

No. The only camera I take on personal time is a cell phone. Photography is a job for me and I don't really want to carry any equipment unless a pay check is part of the deal. With a cell phone I feel no need to post process. Just snap and upload and never worry about perfecting it. I don't shoot stock images but guess if I did I would consider that work and need the equipment.

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:23 PM
renfield33
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

i used the x100 and switched to the om-d. i miss the x100!

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:27 PM
JimRU
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

I'm the guy carrying my camera and lots of lenses -- and having a blast doing it.

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:32 PM
tgrantster
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Ha! I live in Niagara and I've been to a few wine tastings for pleasure and had a massive camera with a pretty big lens attached. Not brought my whole pack albeit but now I'm more comfortable with my big ol' camera than I am with a P&S. I've been giving some thought to getting a X100S as a walk around camera but 2 things have held me back. Firstly that money could go to a really good lens and there are so many lenses I want more than a new body. Secondly, these camera's that are between an SLR and a P&S are still big enough to be a pain. You often need a murse to carry them and at that point I might as well have my big assed SLR slung over my back cause if I'm carrying a murse or backpack my wife is going to try and stick her crap in it to get out of bringing her bag. At that point the SLR is way lighter.

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

wow, there's an expression of self importance and a superiority complex ... grow up.

You have no idea what he was up to for the day ... maybe he had good reasons for what he was doing.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM
bergenor
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Yep,that's me,started photography two years ago,just bought a bigger lens and a nicer tripod,can't get nuff of it,even the cats moved out because they were tired of being free lab rats.
Big pelican case with two bodies and 5-6 lens in it,no wheels on the case FYI I almost took it into walmart the other day cuz I was in a bad place of town and was afraid of leaving it in the car(wife did a fine job by guarding it.
Haven't made a single penny with photos yet,not even sure if I want too(might have too so I can buy better equip)
Since I don't drink and wine bottles are cool subjects,I would problably take my "arsenal" with me.
So,yes,I'm that guy,and I'm having a blast,I'm loving the challenge,I'm loving the chase,and I'm loving that I'm improving.
Sorry if you've bn there and done that and I haven't. Enjoy your wine and your snub nose pistol cuz I'm packing for bear!!!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM
smoothlander

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Yup, I will admit it....I too am "that guy". I'm not a pro photographer, just a rank amateur. But I get a kick out of taking pictures, and yes, most of them suck. Oh, and by the way, I'm a part owner of a Napa winery, and we make fun of "guys like you" that come here, pay $10 for a lousy pour, and act like they know what they are actually tasting.
One man's hobby is another man's profession...it works both ways.....you make fun of us, and we make fun of you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

canerino wrote:
you are who are today because of who you were. dont judge the dude...you sound like a dbag. he was perfectly happy in his world...isnt that awesome?

Thats my point.....Im not judging making a simple observation. You on the other hand....Lets see, don't judge as you judge me saying I sound like a Dbag....

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 01:28 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:09 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Andre Labonte wrote:
wow, there's an expression of self importance and a superiority complex ... grow up.

You have no idea what he was up to for the day ... maybe he had good reasons for what he was doing.

You telling me to grow up!? Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black....IT WAS A SIMPLE OBSERVATION. I do know what he was up to, he was up to his neck in camera gear.....

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 01:25 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

smoothlander wrote:
Yup, I will admit it....I too am "that guy". I'm not a pro photographer, just a rank amateur. But I get a kick out of taking pictures, and yes, most of them suck. Oh, and by the way, I'm a part owner of a Napa winery, and we make fun of "guys like you" that come here, pay $10 for a lousy pour, and act like they know what they are actually tasting.
One man's hobby is another man's profession...it works both ways.....you make fun of us, and we make fun of you.

It was a simple observation of a time when I felt I needed to take every piece of gear with me where ever i went. Not making fun. It wasnt ten bucks a pour it was twenty five for as many as you wanted from various vendors with all the trimmings.....If you dont mind me asking which winery so I can let others know that those who work at said winery make fun of those who come into your establishment and spend hard earned money....I will make sure we skip your spot next time we are in Napa....thanks

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:20 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

This is getting ugly fast. Name calling is always a downhill slide. Hope this stops soon.

I read the original post and thought he was talking about the learning curve - you know, the new photographer takes a ton of gear with. Years later, he learns what he needs and travels lighter. And yes, some guys NEED and use the ton of gear. I get that too.

The "hold my backpack" story was cute too.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:41 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Man.. I wish I had a wife that will hold my camera bag. Sometimes my wife asks me to carry her Coach bag for her. (here is my man card).

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Jim Rickards wrote:
This is getting ugly fast. Name calling is always a downhill slide. Hope this stops soon.

I read the original post and thought he was talking about the learning curve - you know, the new photographer takes a ton of gear with. Years later, he learns what he needs and travels lighter. And yes, some guys NEED and use the ton of gear. I get that too.

The "hold my backpack" story was cute too.

THANK YOU!!! someone who gets it......I think I struck a nerve with some people, thus the response

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

people need to stop blowing things out of context and get on their high horses. It was just an observation from Michael...hey there was a day when i was like him..and how silly it feels now. the love of new camera, bag etc..tellin her not to put it on the ground etc.

now a days..michael probably doesn't care where the hell he puts his bag on the floor and if it gets dirty.

same here...lugged my gear everywhere...now i think and minimize it to what i need not "what if" and drag everything.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

Thanks Sunny....It was never my intention to judge or make myself look better than anyone. I felt I was LITERALLY looking into the past. I was worse though. I would pack OCF gear "just in case"......

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Are you this guy? I was once and don't miss him at all....

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/beefaice/default/key-win-all-internet-arguments--large-msg-128536288368.jpg

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.