New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightroom or CF issues?

drawin2
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightroom or CF issues?

I'm starting to encounter a problem with weird glitches on my images in Lightroom (see pic below). Has anyone else experienced this? I'm looking for a place to start - is this a problem with the CF card, Adobe, or possibly even the camera?

The glitch is on the image itself and shows in LR and PS both.

Thanks!

http://www.southernreflectionsstudio.com/download/IMG_0483.jpg

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:08 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightroom or CF issues?

I had an issue that looked like that - but all the way across the image. In my case the sensor (or something inside the camera) was the problem and the camera had to be trashed (out of warrantee). At first it was only 1 in 50 or so images. Then it was 1 in 10, then it was like half of them. Then lastly only 1 in 5 weren't messed up - then trashcan.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:30 PM
drawin2
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightroom or CF issues?

That's my worry too. I was hoping it was the card (the cheapest fix). But the problem right now is so sporadic that I can't pinpoint the culprit.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:35 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightroom or CF issues?

You need to do some detective work, experimenting with isolating each step of your workflow: camera, card, card reader, disk. My general impression from seeing several of these problems here on FM over time is that the most likely culprits area the memory cards or the card readers.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:38 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightroom or CF issues?

Is the problem with new images that you are copying from memory cards, or with images on the hard disk that were ok in the past?

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:48 PM
drawin2
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightroom or CF issues?

Only new images being taken, then transferred from card to computer. If you view the image on the back of the camera, the glitch is not there.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:55 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightroom or CF issues?

If it is only new images then the problem is not the computer

Most likely either the card or the card reader / cable. Less likely it's the camera, but that can't be ruled out.

What camera are you using?

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:58 PM
drawin2
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightroom or CF issues?

We have two 5D Mk I's. They show some age, but still work remarkably well.

I have a feeling we'll have to spend a day running through each scenario. Right now, since our cameras are identical and we switch between lenses all the time, it's hard to pinpoint when the problem occurs. After a shoot, we dump all of the raw files (from up to 7-8 different cards) into a single folder and then start the LR import. So, by then, the trail for that picture is almost non-existent. It sounds like there's no quick answer for what it could be - which means we will have to dive deeper into the issue and spend time investigating.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightroom or CF issues?

drawin2 wrote:
Only new images being taken, then transferred from card to computer. If you view the image on the back of the camera, the glitch is not there.

these things are usually the card . (but can be something else in the chain)

what you have to remember is a RAW file has an embedded jpeg in it as well which is whats being displayed by the camera . if the RAW data was corrupted as it was written then the jpeg may be fine .

does LR first display a good image and then this bad one ? the first thing LR does is display the embedded jpeg before it creates its own from the RAW .

you really need to try a different card(s) , then a different reader .
if its the card then you can do a full proper format (ie a low level) then you may get rid of the problem . if itg comes
back then the card is toast

Feb 17, 2014 at 06:15 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightroom or CF issues?

Had a *very* similar problem with a batch of my 5d Mk2 RAW files. In my case, it was bad RAM !

I didn't think about it initially, but it made (still makes) sense. Irrespective of whether you copy the files from CF to disk or Import it via LR, RAM comes in the loop as a background messenger. So bad RAM stick(s) causing bad files to be resident on the disk is very much possible (even if the source CF is fine)

Possible sources of error and quick ways to verify them:

1) Hard Disk: Try running ScanDisk (with fix filesystem errors checked) on your Disk Drives (if you are on Windows).
2)CF: Repeat above. If within warranty or you still suspect it and/or want peace of mind, replace it. If necessary use your CF maker's software for additional checks.
3)RAM: Download memtest86+. Put it on a thumb drive and run a memory test for an hour or so (maybe run it overnight). It will definitely catch problems (if any) in the RAM. I know this is compatible with Windows. Not sure about Mac.
4) Adobe PS, LR: Usually, the source RAWs are untouched/unmodified and if you see the problem in both PS and LR, then the underlying file is definitely corrupt. You can eliminate these tools as error sources if that is the case. You can confirm this by opening it in DPP .

Hope it helps. Let us know how it works out ...

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM
drawin2
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightroom or CF issues?

It definitely happens as Ian mentioned - LR loads the jpeg first which looks ok, then shows the bad RAW file afterwards.

Thank you so much for all of the steps to check - I never did consider it being something within the computer either. It's an older PC (decent specs), but well used nonetheless. I could see how that is an issue. My only concern is that if you export the image, then it shouldn't technically export with the glitch should it - even though it does?

I'm going to try this process this weekend first, then follow it up by testing shots on each card, with each camera. I'll post again when we find the exact cause.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:16 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightroom or CF issues?

Easiest is to take some shots and then connect your camera directly to your computer through a USB cable. If you can download your images correctly that way (through EOS-Utility) it's the card reader, otherwise it's the card. Will take 5 minutes at most.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:32 PM
abhijeeth
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightroom or CF issues?

drawin2 wrote:
It definitely happens as Ian mentioned - LR loads the jpeg first which looks ok, then shows the bad RAW file afterwards.

Thank you so much for all of the steps to check - I never did consider it being something within the computer either. It's an older PC (decent specs), but well used nonetheless. I could see how that is an issue. My only concern is that if you export the image, then it shouldn't technically export with the glitch should it - even though it does?

Yes, this is true. The JPEG renders fine, then when the (larger) RAW data renders/loads, it shows the corrupted data.

My PC was about 1.5years into its build when this started occuring. My RAM has lifetime warranty, found the issue with memtest86+, sent it in for a free replacement. Coincidentally, my PC was giving me BSODs as well @ random.

When you export the image, the final image should technically show the bad data. This is because the underlying RAW data is corrupt.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:40 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightroom or CF issues?

I'm having a similar issue with a few photos I took recently. (Coincidentally also the original 5D). When I do some investigations, I'll post back in this thread with what I find.

Feb 20, 2014 at 01:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.