New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · AF Fine Tuning

arthury

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AF Fine Tuning

I thought I share with you the pains and the solution I have found through my own experiences.

http://artsphlog.blogspot.com/2014/02/af-fine-tuning-afft.html

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:50 PM
John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AF Fine Tuning

Interesting read and theory... Although it's hard to imagine that in all things that could be referenced, you made a choice to use a term like "white people"? Maybe I'm just being too Canadian here...

Your font used on that page..along with text/background is very difficult to read. Just IMO.

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:53 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AF Fine Tuning

Stand a box of cereal on the lawn/gravel drive.
Shooting wide open at ~ 5' with a 50mm (20' with 200mm, etc.)
focus on the box and view blades/gravel fore and aft for sharpness.
Adjust in or out as necessary. Rinse and repeat to satisfaction. Done.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:23 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AF Fine Tuning

Thanks for sharing your experience, I do agree with John, the font was pretty hard to read though.

Jim

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:29 PM
arthury

[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AF Fine Tuning

Thanks for the feedback about fonts and background color.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:35 PM
eltano
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AF Fine Tuning

Will, I love your approach to make everything no complicated and easy to follow.

Your pics speak for you, no doubt about that.

Best regards

Eltano

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:48 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AF Fine Tuning

Arthury,

I thought your review on the new 58 1.4 G was thoughtful. Your finding were in line with what I read on DF. Too often we do get caught up in MF charts in making our lens decisions.

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 09:29 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:49 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AF Fine Tuning

I agree with TM, cereal boxes for bigger lenses and AA batteries for close distance stuff.
Easy Peasy...

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:27 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AF Fine Tuning

I am going to jump in here on this one...I really don't want to though. I have been away from Nikon for over a year and I recently acquired a used D7000 via local sale and then proceeded to get a 300 f/4 ED and 80-200 f/2.8 ED lens here on the forum. I am pulling out my hair trying to fine tune both lenses on my D7000. I followed the instructions according to the DotTune method and the result was -2 but dang if that does not seem to work either. I am shooting birds out of my window and filling the frame at 1/1000 (or greater) and f/5.6 and f/6.3 and even though the lens locks on looking at the image in CS6 or LR 5.3 makes me scratch my head. I don't know what to do at this point. I have done 0 fine tuning with the D300 I got here on the forum and both lenses appear to be spot on. AF fine tuning is something new to me and after hearing horror stories about Nikon's service I am not excited about the possibility of having the body calibrated, especially with all of the "impact damage" stories I hear about!

Feb 18, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Mr. G
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AF Fine Tuning

treebeard wrote:
I am going to jump in here on this one...I really don't want to though. I have been away from Nikon for over a year and I recently acquired a used D7000 via local sale and then proceeded to get a 300 f/4 ED and 80-200 f/2.8 ED lens here on the forum. I am pulling out my hair trying to fine tune both lenses on my D7000. I followed the instructions according to the DotTune method and the result was -2 but dang if that does not seem to work either. I am shooting birds out of my window
...Show more

I've had three D7000's and sold all three due to my dissatisfaction with the focus abilities and repeatability. The same lenses are "dead nuts" in focus more then 80% of the time on my D2Xs and D700. It was unfortunate because the D7000 produced some fantastic images when the focus hit right.

I just bought a D7100 due to many reports of focus improvement over the D7000 and I am hoping it focuses like my other two so I can get the 24MP image quality when I feel the need.

Do try to do your focus tuning at the subject distance you use most often. If the birds are typically 50' away set up some focus targets at that distance.

Good luck.

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:07 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AF Fine Tuning

I actually enjoy shooting my D300 more....got the D7000 for it's high iso performance. The 80-200 is QUICK on my D300! I will have to take a break from the fine-tuning.

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:35 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.