Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

golfputting

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

I landed a job shooting for the Golf Show in the convention center. Mostly candid shots of the people shopping, testing equipment and crowd shots. I will shoot some close up shots of products as well. I'm using my 6D and taking my 24-105 f4L IS as well as my 50 1.8. I also have the 17-40 f4L but was not sure if I want to carry that much gear.

Most of my photography work is senior portraits, marching band and special events outside. This is my first event in a convention center. Not sure what kind of lighting I will be getting. My 6D 24-105 captured some great shots at the high school musical without using flash so I think I will be fine.

Any thoughts on what I should use? or settings?

Please share your thoughts or ideas.

Thanks

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

Whenever I think Convention Center, I think cycling overhead lights and nightmare white balance issues. I would bring a flash in case you have this issue. The flash will help you over power the overhead lights.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

I only carry one body and lens, plus flash. FF is either 24-105 IS or 28-300L IS. Crop is the 15-85 IS. 580EX II for the flash. Usually shoot between f/4.5-5.6 at around 1/50-1/80 sec with appropriate ISO for capturing ambient light.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:54 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

You'll want that 50/1.8 in case you need to do something that requires a little subject isolation, and while 24mm is very wide, 17mm can really be useful in enclosed settings.

May I suggest getting a larger bag, maybe a sling or messenger bag? I use a cheap sling bag for such purposes, which keeps my shoulders free for other stuff.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:55 AM
krementz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

I sympathize with keeping the kit light. I would, assuming parking is near and security adequate, keep a second, backup kit in the trunk, just in case of massive failure.

I think the17-40 would be more useful than the 50/1.8. I agree with dwweiche about nasty cycling light; bring a flash and hope you don't need it. If you have to isolate something with DoF, you can do it with Photoshop. PS isn't right for "fine art" photos, but I assume your gig is for reproduction in a newsletter (online of not), not 24x36 on fine art paper.

A carry aboard wheelie is often good for a convention since you can collect literature liberally. You may want the literature so you can indentify companies and products later.

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:08 AM
golfputting

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys!

dwweiche - I was thinking about white balance issues as well. The flash will be on my 6D for sure, never leave without it, you just never know when it will be needed. Thanks for your reply.

johnctharp - I have a small Canon backpack that I will take with me. It's a easy carry when you take out items you know are not needed. The 50/1.8 will be in the bag for sure, it weighs nothing Thank you.

Gunzorro - Thank you for the setting ideas. I have attended golf shows but this is my first time shooting at one. Hope I can use the ambient light to my advantage in some areas.

krementz - Having a back up in the trunk is a great idea. I think I will be taking my backup camera in the trunk. I will be arriving early and parking as close to the front door as possible, so I think it will be safe. I'm sure the event manager I'm working with wants the photos for web site and newsletters. Great ideas, thanks.

Thank you all for the feedback!

Feb 17, 2014 at 09:25 AM
XsigmaSD
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Golf Show what to use with my 6D.

golfputting wrote:
Any thoughts on what I should use? or settings?

Please share your thoughts or ideas.

Two words... Comfortable Shoes

Oh, and yea, you want that 17-40 with you for sure. Convention planners love seeing creative wide shots of LOTS of people enjoying the show, if they are using them to promote next year's show. Look for at least a few angles like cat-walks above the show floor.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:51 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.