Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8
  
 
carstenw
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


edwardkaraa wrote:
I just remembered I already did a comparison when I first received the FE 35. Sorry about the extreme PP, but it is meant to make the issue more visible.

Both files have been PPed similarly.


It is a bit hard to tell in these shots, but I think I see something in both, although more in the FE35 shot. Look at the extreme corners.



Feb 22, 2014 at 05:11 PM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


carstenw wrote:
It is a bit hard to tell in these shots, but I think I see something in both, although more in the FE35 shot. Look at the extreme corners.


The FE 35 shot shows a ring of lighter tone and different color just before the vignetting kicks in. It is a known issue especially on the a7r. The ZM shot does not show this effect, what you're seeing is the normal vignetting and slight color shift of RF wide lenses on this sensor.



Feb 22, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Toothwalker
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


edwardkaraa wrote:
But I could swear the concentric circles look like badly polished aspherical surfaces.


Concentric circles can remind us of many things in the world of optics and image processing, where several quantities are a function of the distance from the image center. Aspherical surfaces are an unlikely cause in this case, because each point in the sky receives its light from a large part of the total lens surface, at large apertures anyways. This is different from the blur patches of out-of-focus highlights, where subareas of the blur disks are associated with subareas of the elements. Hence the phenomenon of onion-ring bokeh. You may have a case though if the effect only occurs at small apertures, because the ray pencils contributing to different parts of the sky then traverse different, and relatively small subareas of the lens elements.




Feb 23, 2014 at 12:15 AM
carstenw
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #4 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


edwardkaraa wrote:
The FE 35 shot shows a ring of lighter tone and different color just before the vignetting kicks in. It is a known issue especially on the a7r. The ZM shot does not show this effect, what you're seeing is the normal vignetting and slight color shift of RF wide lenses on this sensor.


There is no white line, that is true, but what I see is an abrupt change in brightness, quite different than the normal vignetting.



Feb 23, 2014 at 12:20 AM
edwardkaraa
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


There is no doubt the FE 35 is showing unusual mechanical vignetting in the extreme corners. Not even as bad as the ZM 35. I think the a7 has some mechanical limitations caused by the E mount and FF sensor.


Feb 23, 2014 at 03:19 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


edwardkaraa wrote:
Congrats for your lens! It is really wonderfully sharp with a nice drawing style.


Thank you! It's indeed a capable little lens with almost zero weight :-).

I have some shots now with blue skies and there's some vignetting though correction settings was ON - but no posterization yet despite some harsh contrast/structure/vignetting pulls/additions.



Feb 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #7 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


I'd be curious to see the comps @ the white ceiling (normal exposure and somewhat underexposed to better reveal channel variances). I'm seeing changes in the channel values that don't make a lot of sense to me @ why the G falls off like a rock in some areas, and why the R (delta from G/B) oscillates appx. +/-5 in others.




Jul 11, 2014 at 09:44 AM
gdsf2
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


RustyBug wrote:
I'd be curious to see the comps @ the white ceiling (normal exposure and somewhat underexposed to better reveal channel variances). I'm seeing changes in the channel values that don't make a lot of sense to me @ why the G falls off like a rock in some areas, and why the R (delta from G/B) oscillates appx. +/-5 in others.



What?



Jul 11, 2014 at 09:04 PM
RustyBug
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8


gdsf2 wrote:
What?


Measure the RGB values in the diff bands and compare the way the color is shifting.



Jul 11, 2014 at 09:22 PM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password