Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

SLRgear reviews Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA
Slrgear.com posted their review on the Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA lens.

Here is an excerpt:
"The FE 35mm Zeiss lens is another extraordinarily sharp lens, on both the full-frame A7R as well as on the NEX-7 sub-frame test camera. Wide-open and throughout the aperture range until around f/16, the centers display impressive sharpness."

Read entire review

Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Lens ($798)
B&H Photo | Adorama

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:56 PM
ZoranC
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

I wish modern reviews would not talk just about sharpness etc, but also about does lens have color shifts, what are values corrected vs. uncorrected, how good is it's focusing accuracy, etc. Almost nobody mentions that.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:15 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Contrast detect AF is generally very good across the board, better than even the best PDAF, but it just isn't that fast, even at the best of times.

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Most reviewers devote some space to AF speed and accuracy (especially Lenstip).

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:26 AM
you2
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

dpreview also posted their measure mtf; very similar to photozone's results.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:52 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

What I'm realizing from all these reviews, is that Sony's calculated MTF are surprisingly quite accurate (well, a bit inflated at f/8).

Feb 18, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

you2 wrote:
dpreview also posted their measure mtf; very similar to photozone's results.

Yeah, and the troll brigade went berserk over it. :-) Good that we have nothing like that over here.

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:21 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

An excellent review site, esp their aperture performance chart. The FE primes are really classy efforts, so well-behaved. More please.

Feb 20, 2014 at 04:04 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

I dont understand the sky rings/rasterization phenomenon. It seem to be at the RAW level too. Usually (from any camera) you'll quite easily provoke various deficiencies in skies with hard PP, but here it is present at normal captures, particularly when there's a blue sky in it.

And this while these cameras have the absolute top DR available (!).

Otherwise the lens seem excellent. I am about to get one this weekend as I found a local 2nd hand copy as new for 75% of a new. It's ridiculous as I have the CV35/1.2II and CY35/1.4, but I may do it because of the size.

But why this phenomenon??

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:59 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

My hunch is that it is related to the lossy compression. If you throw a couple of bits of information away, there are bound to be places where you can see that, and very gradually changing sky-colours would fit that scenario.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

That would be the easy scapegoat and then applied to any lens. But this seem particular to the FE35. Or 35mm?

Because heres another example with the ZM35
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/5#11960765

Using Canon stuff since the fall of roman empire I've dealt with banding and some other things for many years. But I never seen it from the start. Given the aclaimed DR should be able to do much better.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:38 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

It could also be due to the resizing algorithm, or JPG quality level.

Btw, dynamic range is only about the highest versus lowest value which can be recorded with some fidelity, not about the bits available to each value, so although they usually go hand in hand, they do not need to.

Feb 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Right, possibly several factors combined makes it happen. Like when a plane crashes just more often. Very annoying.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

carstenw wrote:
My hunch is that it is related to the lossy compression. If you throw a couple of bits of information away, there are bound to be places where you can see that, and very gradually changing sky-colours would fit that scenario.

I would think that using only 11 bits in a non-linear encoding would harm smooth gradients, but it doesn't. I have examples of sky where I have processed them to extreme, really extreme contrast levels, and there is still no sign of loss in tonal resolution.

In the preview window in CaptureOne, posterization is always ugly, but it is not there in the processed file, even directly to a small size jpg.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Alundeb, are you referring to the FE35 or in general?

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:15 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Ah, sorry, I meant in general, I don't own the FE 35.
I remember one example in particular that was with the Canon FD 85 mm 1.2 ASPH SSC wide open.

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM
xbarcelo
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

wfrank wrote:
That would be the easy scapegoat and then applied to any lens. But this seem particular to the FE35. Or 35mm?

Because heres another example with the ZM35
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1255248/5#11960765

Using Canon stuff since the fall of roman empire I've dealt with banding and some other things for many years. But I never seen it from the start. Given the aclaimed DR should be able to do much better.

That example you quote was coming straight from in camera jpg, so I wouldn't count that one…

Feb 21, 2014 at 02:02 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

wfrank wrote:
Right, possibly several factors combined makes it happen. Like when a plane crashes just more often. Very annoying.

It likely is a combination of factors, some specific to the FE 35 such as the heavy correction of vignetting. If used, that's going to compromise smooth tonal transitions somewhat. You can see examples of the FE 35 natural vignetting vs corrected here:
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/12/sony-fe-35mm-f2-8-za-on-the-a7r-the-bisto-lens

As far as being due to the Sony lossy raws in general, I doubt it. There is a pretty big thread here where this possibility was considered and what I found is, particularly in subtle sky areas, posterization, when someone encountered it, was due to a combination of color profile changes and re-sizing. The Sony lossy raw effect on images seems to be restricted to high contrast areas rather than subtle tonal transitions. I believe Fred first demonstrated this effect and Lloyd also shows it here:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2014/20140214_1-SonyA7-artifacts-star-trails.html

As an aside, I use the RX1(which also uses this lossy raw compression) and extensively shoot skies. I don't correct for any lens vignetting and have never seen posterization effects in my own images.

Feb 21, 2014 at 02:53 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

Tariq Gibran wrote:
It likely is a combination of factors, some specific to the FE 35 such as the heavy correction of vignetting.

I don't know what causes it. Automatic correction of vignetting may play a role, but can't this be switched off?

What about the offset microlenses? Perhaps the rings correspond to regions with variations in the offset of these lenses.

I would be surprised if the FE 35 is to blame.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:30 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Slrgear tests Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8

I think it's the aspherical element doing something with the sensor.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:42 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password