New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

MomEngineer
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

Does anyone here use the YN622N in combination with the YN622N-TX? I am interested in wireless flash triggering, but I do not want to spend too much to start. I want to have TTL capabilities. ( I guess I am asking for the world ). Would I be better off using Nikon CLS to get my feet wet?

Thanks in advance -

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM
BoneCounter
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I'm considering the same as my first trigger setup. Can't wait for some of the knowledgable FM crew to chime in on this.

Feb 16, 2014 at 07:49 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

Keep in mind that CLS only works when the sending and receiving speedlights can see each other. CLS has trouble, for instance, when the receiving light is inside a softbox. CLS also has distance limitations, and isn't reliable outdoors in bright light. I'm already heavily invested in PocketWizards, otherwise I wouldn't be afraid to try out the Yongnuo units.

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:18 PM
fqo63ta
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I've had several Yongnuo triggers over the years. Most have stopped working. In my opinion, they are junk.
I now use Cactus triggers and am very happy with them. Never had a misfire.
You get what you pay for.....

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:37 PM
MomEngineer
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

fqo63ta wrote:
I've had several Yongnuo triggers over the years. Most have stopped working. In my opinion, they are junk.
I now use Cactus triggers and am very happy with them. Never had a misfire.
You get what you pay for.....

Thanks for the replies so far.

Just out of curiosity, aren't Cactus Triggers relatively inexpensive also?

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:55 PM
MomEngineer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

BigIronCruiser wrote:
Keep in mind that CLS only works when the sending and receiving speedlights can see each other. CLS has trouble, for instance, when the receiving light is inside a softbox. CLS also has distance limitations, and isn't reliable outdoors in bright light. I'm already heavily invested in PocketWizards, otherwise I wouldn't be afraid to try out the Yongnuo units.

I realized this after I posted.

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I have the YN-622 for Canon and have not experienced any problems with them so far.

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:34 PM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

My 622s for Canon have worked flawlessly every time!

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:41 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I didn't think Cactus triggers were able to utilize ETTL/CLS like the Yongnuo YN622's can. Am I missing something?

From what I understood, cactus triggers were "dumb" triggers andost closely matched the Yongnuo RF-602 and RF-603 models. The Y-622 allows use of TTL auto modes, correct?

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:31 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

Honestly I would just go full manual on off camera flash. It's not very difficult to do. I use the Yongnuo 602s with their 560 III flashes and it works super well. I think I'm up to 6 of them at this point. Can't recommend them enough.

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:41 PM
amacal1
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I, too, use the YN-560 III triggered by the RF-603. They've proven to be reliable, versatile, and very cost effective.

But, keep in mind, they are manually adjustable only.

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:30 PM
fqo63ta
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

MomEngineer wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far.

Just out of curiosity, aren't Cactus Triggers relatively inexpensive also?

Yes, Cactus triggers are a lot less expensive than the high end triggers. I have the V5 transceivers. One used as a transmitter on the camera, the other two are on Metz flashes. The Metz flashes use a special sync cable with a PC plug on the end. Instead of messing with an adapter, I installed a PC receptacle in two Cactuses...work great.
The Cactus V5's have never missed a beat.... Amazon has them.

Feb 18, 2014 at 07:56 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I'm using for a while a bunch of YN-622N transceivers I ordered from Hong Kong. I could not be happier. The secret is to use a Nikon flash (SB700, SB 900 or SB910) on the top of the transmitter or (my case) a SU-800. This way the job is very simple and they work flawlessly both in iTTL and in Manual Mode. I'm mostly going in manual mode but sometimes when outdoor I use iTTL too.

The only draw back I found on YN triggers... when the battery is down to a low level they keep working but on an erratic mode... So I charge preventively the batteries after two shooting sessions or weekly.

I want to order from the same shop the new YN-622N-TX since the cost is affordable, to not have to use my SU-800 but I have to wait since it is out of stock for now.

Yongnuo is producing also some iTTL and manual flashes that are very powerful. I purchased a YN568EX for Nikon that knows even HSS and works as a charm alongside my Nikon units. They are not so polished like Nikons but works very well. I plan to add some manual units... the cost is like a joke comparing with brand units.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:23 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I have the 622 triggers and I use with my Canon 580Ex II, with no problems. I would recommend them as a medium priced trigger with a reliable circuit.
Allan

Feb 19, 2014 at 05:38 PM
OzIan

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I just received YN622N triggers and a YN622N-TX controller from Hong Kong and have not had time to test yet. For the price they look well made and professionally packaged but the proof will be in the using.

I sold my Nikon SU-800 as I found the infra red "wireless" method of connection frustrating. Often mucking around with the flash units to make sure they had line of sight to the controller, particularly when used outdoors. Had lots of instances where one flash was not firing. The SU-800 worked ok inside where the infra red signals would bounce off walls etc but outside was a different story.

I had read and heard good things about the Yongnuo products so I thought that I would give them a try. Will post again after I have given them a test run.

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:04 PM
OzIan

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

Last night I unboxed and tested my newly acquired Yongnuo YN622N-TX Controller with four YN622N triggers. I also bought a Yongnuo YN565EX speedlight and tested that at the same time.

I already have Nikon SB800 speedlights and used a D3200 body to do the test with. The testing was conducted indoors so still to test the outdoors performance.

Everything worked faultlessly. The total time for unboxing, fitting of batteries and then testing of everything was 30 minutes which says a lot for how easy it was to set up and use. Admittedly I am familiar with using the Nikon SU800 controller and the Yongnuo is very similar in operation. Everything was easy to set up, very intuitive and I did not have need to refer to any manuals.

I tested the controller/triggers in TTL and manual modes for control of three groups of flashes, using the Nikon SB800's and also the new Yongnuo flash. All functioned as they should.

In regards to wireless operation, the max test distance from camera/controller to trigger/flash was 15 meters and I placed the flash out of sight, behind a wall and it fired every time with the power adjustments as I was making them on the controller.

I also tested the YN565EX speedlight directly on top of the D3200 body and it functioned as it should with all the same features of a SB800.

Still need to test the performance outside in daylight as well as on my other Nikon bodies but so far it is all looking good.

The equipment looks well made and so far, I am very happy with the price/quality/performance.

Feb 21, 2014 at 07:31 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

MomEngineer wrote:
Does anyone here use the YN622N in combination with the YN622N-TX? I am interested in wireless flash triggering, but I do not want to spend too much to start. I want to have TTL capabilities. ( I guess I am asking for the world ).

Like several of the other respondents, I have the Canon version -- four of them -- and I couldn't be happier. I was getting good results using the Canon optically-based system (similar to Nikon's CLS), but going to radio was a significant leap upward in capability.

The Yongnuo system for Canon utilizes the in-camera flash menu for control, so a separate transmitter module isn't needed, but other than that the Canon and Nikon versions are substantially similar.

You'll get your desired wireless triggering, with iTTL capabilities, and without spending too much to start. Go for it!

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:38 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

I use Yongnuo flashes and triggers and they are brilliant, and help me earn thousands of pounds every year. I have just ordered a set of 662n's so will adding them to the stable in a couple of days

Feb 25, 2014 at 04:18 AM
Shoikan

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

OzIan wrote:
[...]

I already have Nikon SB800 speedlights and used a D3200 body to do the test with. The testing was conducted indoors so still to test the outdoors performance.

[...]

The equipment looks well made and so far, I am very happy with the price/quality/performance.

Yay! Thanks for confirming this! I ordered a 622N-TX, a set of 622Ns, and some 460-IIs but I found it very hard to find if this would all work with my D3200 (since as far as I understand the D3200 is a bit 'braindead' in the CLS department). With the description of what you tested I now feel fairly confident that this set will do what I want it to. You, sir, made my day

May 01, 2014 at 07:31 AM
gwaww
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Yongnuo YN622N and YN622TX

Mishu01

The only draw back I found on YN triggers... when the battery is down to a low level they keep working but on an erratic mode... So I charge preventively the batteries after two shooting sessions or weekly. .

I have found that the 622's do not last as long on the lower voltage of rechargeable batteries, they seem muh happier on alkaline batteries. I've also read this elsewhere.

May 01, 2014 at 04:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.