Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2014 · What is the best camera bag?

msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What is the best camera bag?

Apparently a B&S transgression.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/feedback/274538

Mark

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:51 PM
joekilabot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What is the best camera bag?

I like the Manfrotto Unica that I got from Target. Perfect for traveling, carries my mirrorless, charger, extra lens and passport very nicely!

Mar 16, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What is the best camera bag?

I like the F-Stop Kenti.... awesome backpack with side access. I don't like backpacks that open in a traditional way where your lenses can spill out like a B-52 dropping bombs. Another backpack that I like is the Lowepro Flipside 400, which opens from the back so your gear are safe.

Mar 17, 2014 at 01:01 PM
tyb1987

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What is the best camera bag?

I have F-stop Tilopa BC, Billingham Hadley Pro, Think Tank Photo Streetwalker Harddisk and Tamrac 3385 as my bags.

All has their own pro and con. But I like them all.

Mar 17, 2014 at 09:52 PM
phlegmon
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What is the best camera bag?

You guys are worse than my wife, only difference being you hoard camera bags while she hoards LV.

I use the ThinkTank Retrospective 7 and it's fairly inconspicuous when walking around the city. Fits my D800 and a couple lenses.

Mar 24, 2014 at 01:56 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What is the best camera bag?

I tried for many years to cling to the idea that there was a "perfect" camera bag (first a Domke F2, then Billingham 335), but I now subscribe to the idea that an ideal bag is one that suits a person's current shooting patterns, lifestyle and equipment. Consequently I have a bunch of bags and regularly cycle through them, selling some to buy others. I generally have about four camera bags at any one time and over many years have owned camera bags from Domke, Billingham, Lowepro, Think Tank, Kinesis, Timbuk2, F-Stop and Crumpler.

I bought an F-Stop Guru last year, for example, because I needed a versatile backpack for transporting camera and other gear around Europe. Now, however, it sits gathering dust and I'm not sure when I'll use it next. But am not sure I want to sell it, just in case. Meanwhile, I seem to use my Think Tank waist pack(s) most often now, keeping two different sizes depending on what I want to carry. A larger Crumpler (New Delhi) has drifted into use as a computer/travel bag (replacing a Think Tank UD50) and hasn't seen a camera for years.

I still like the idea of a flexible and well-designed backpack that can be camera bag and/or regular backpack, but all on offer seem to be too much of one thing or another, or too big/small. In other words, there is no perfect bag!

Mar 24, 2014 at 04:56 PM
beanoper

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What is the best camera bag?

I agree with pipspeak...i keep looking for the perfect bag, but that seems to change every 4-6 months for me, which all depends on my latest lifestyle changes. I've gone timbuk2 (shoulder and backpack), crumpler, dome, and I'm currently using the ONA bag.

is there a place where you can design your own bag?

Mar 25, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What is the best camera bag?

The recent posts are right on. In footwear, we now have sneakers made for all kinds of specialized purposes. Same with bags. Be it shooting social, active, secure, conspicuous, secretive, accessible, protected, heavily or minimally padded, on and on, there's a bag for each and every one. The more varied we are in shooting scenarios, the greater variety of bags are necessary.

Mar 25, 2014 at 08:16 PM
Chris Court
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What is the best camera bag?

There's a company out of New Zealand called Macpac which makes the best travel backpacks available. Comfortable and indestructible. I've owned one for 20+ years and it's circled the globe with me a bunch of times, and keeps kicking. Unfortunately, they don't make camera bags - if they did I'd buy one in a second.

As far as dedicated camera bags go, like others here I've gone through many different brands, and still haven't found the sweet spot. Part of the problem is that my gear selection keeps changing. Also, in general, I only carry a subset of my gear at any given time, depending on the occasion.

Currently I flip-flop between a Tenba backpack and a TT Speed Freak (or both) depending on what I decide to drag along on a given job. I also keep a big Pelican for storage/hurricane protection, a small Domke shoulder bag for speedlights/triggers, and 2 Crumpler messenger bags, which I really should sell as they haven't been touched in months. I also had a Lowepro roller case which I never really took a liking to, so when it started developing a strange smell, it went up on the local trade boards pronto.

And after all that, I've just today ordered a TT Glass Taxi. And so it continues!

C

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What is the best camera bag?

Chris Court wrote:
There's a company out of New Zealand called Macpac which makes the best travel backpacks available. Comfortable and indestructible.

C

And Macpac make the Think Tank!

Apr 13, 2014 at 02:20 AM
restinginlove

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What is the best camera bag?

Probably not the best by ANY means, but I just got one of these off ebay: http://www.epiphaniebags.com/Slate_Blue_Lyric_p/lyr004slblu.htm

I'm really liking it! I'm more likely to carry it (and thus, bring my camera places and get photos) since it doesn't look dorky like most camera bags and it also doesn't scream "there's a ton of money of photo gear in here so steal this!" which makes me feel safer. And I needed a new huge purse as a carry on bag and it fulfills that for me too!

Apr 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Athenos

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What is the best camera bag?

Currently using a ONA The Union Street bag. It is well-made with the exception of the Velcro that hold down the laptop. Looking at the tearing and pulling it has caused to the fabric inside my bag, I cant really comprehend how they could have approved the design. Other than that I am happy with it, Had it for about 3 years now. The outside fabric is in good shape, the leather straps that hold down the flap are still working and looks good as well. Fits about 1 Camera-body and 3 lenses if the body has no lens mounted to it, but no tele-lenses like a 70-200.

Apr 19, 2014 at 09:15 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What is the best camera bag?

Another satisfied Fstop user. Have had a Loka for 3-4 years now and have pretty much sold off all my other stuff. If you are into landscapes that involve hiking this is pretty much as good as it gets, unless you opt for an Osprey with a photo cube or some such combination. The major downside is price, be prepared to pay through the nose. The shell does not feel too outrageously priced. However the ICUs are pure daylight robbery. Someone else called them Insanely Costly Units. They are not very good quality either, especially given what you pay for them. My biggest complaint is that the fabric liner is not fused to the foam so everything trends to slouch and shift over time. They may have improved over time, it has been a b while since I looked at them, plus I can no longer afford to spend that kind of money on a bag.

Apr 20, 2014 at 01:57 PM
Highfive

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What is the best camera bag?

I went for the Mindshift gear rotation 180.
Same people who makes Think Tank.

Best investment to date for me, superb fit, perfect size.
Like the ability to quick get access to my gear when out hiking.
Comes at a price, but for the use i put it through it well worth it.

Apr 21, 2014 at 02:58 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What is the best camera bag?

GreenMountainG wrote:
Right now I am on my first camera bag - a medium-sized Tamrac - which has served me well. However, now I cannot fit all my equipment in it. Because I cannot hike far, the size is important. What I have been considering is to purchase a Cotton Carrier camera vest to supplement the backpack. This seems like a good solution for cold and/or bad weather photography, because then the camera would benefit from body heat and also be under my coat until needed.

Opinions on this would be appreciated.

Bought it and sent it back. Found it to be very uncomfortable. Having said that it does work well if that is the way you want to work. For events outdoors in bad weather or cold weather, I wear an over-sized parker with both heavy zipper front and velcro. While shooting I unzip the zipper close the velcro and my cameras are on a Black Rapid dual harness under the parker. This works best for me. You might find the Cotton Carrier best for you.

Apr 26, 2014 at 02:17 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What is the best camera bag?

To the OP, I think by now you get the gist of your own thread. There is no perfect equipment carrier other than a Sherpa, (that's a person to carry your gear). Like most here I have maybe 20 different types of bags for different types of shooting assignments. I don't like back packs and do little hiking at my age. I also don't like bags hanging from my shoulders either. My waist packs serve me well from Think Tank and I have a couple different sizes. I'm one that doesn't mind looking like a photographer when doing a walk around since I've always been able to convenience a person to let me take their picture on the street or park and always offer a copy if they want it.

Apr 26, 2014 at 02:23 PM
matsmithphotography
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What is the best camera bag?

Much like yourself, I love my Pelican case. I have a 1560 version with wheels (which comes in handy for heavy loads!) It may be a large and hard to store case but the protection it gives it well worth it!

Apr 29, 2014 at 10:39 PM
unclemikey
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What is the best camera bag?

matsmithphotography wrote:
Much like yourself, I love my Pelican case. I have a 1560 version with wheels (which comes in handy for heavy loads!) It may be a large and hard to store case but the protection it gives it well worth it!

I also use the Pelican cases for travel. I have the 1510 with two different lid organizers, the 1610 and 1650 cases. I don't use the foam and prefer the dividers.

Apr 30, 2014 at 08:27 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What is the best camera bag?

unclemikey wrote:
I don't use the foam and prefer the dividers.

Me too - speaking as the impoverished owner of his first ever Pelican 1510!

Apr 30, 2014 at 10:19 AM
unclemikey
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What is the best camera bag?

Paul Mo wrote:
Me too - speaking as the impoverished owner of his first ever Pelican 1510!

Paul, be prepared. You're going to get another one. Whenever I travel by car I load one up and just put it in the back of the Pilot. Then I can work out of it no matter where I am. BTW, in the Pilot I had anchor eye hooks installed so I can lock the case or cases to them when they have to be left in the car.

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.