FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Death in the Deep Snow

douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Death in the Deep Snow

I happened to capture some drama through the lens. This Coopers Hawk had captured a
bird in the backyard and continued to focus attention to a nearby tree. Upon scanning of the
tree, I saw probably the hen bird perched watching the meal progress. This smaller bird,
which I guess is the male was acting as if ready to bolt and sure enough, as I stepped away
from the shutter, the Hen swooped in and sent this one to flight, taking over the spoils.

http://postmyimage.com/img2/158_DJH_6650a.jpg

http://postmyimage.com/img2/319_DJH_6664a.jpg

http://postmyimage.com/img2/633_DJH_6739.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments are appreciated.
Douglas

Edited on Feb 16, 2014 at 08:47 AM · View previous versions

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:32 AM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Death in the Deep Snow

You did a great job of capturing a natural event. Interesting back story too.
Eric

Feb 16, 2014 at 08:35 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Death in the Deep Snow

Nice set Douglas. Always pretty cool to see action like this in your own backyard.

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Death in the Deep Snow

Nice set! I really like the last one.

I'm confident that what you have there is a Sharp-shin rather than a Coop. The last picture especially shows the larger eyes in comparison to the size of the head that is so characteristic of Sharpies. Added to that the size of the bird compared to the size of the prey item. A male coopers would be larger. And finally the small diameter legs. And finally, the head coloration in sharpies is a bit different than the head coloration in Coopers.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:17 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Death in the Deep Snow

Thanks for the kind words. I went with Coopers because of the contrast between the crown and back colors and the long tail that seemed to be rounded and the brown streaks on the breast turned to white on the underbelly. The other bird mentioned was I would guess nearly 150 percent the size of this bird. I will try to post the photos tomorrow of the other bird along with this bird just before it was driven off.
Douglas

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:09 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Death in the Deep Snow

Great set Douglas !

Birdie

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:27 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Death in the Deep Snow

I'd love to see your other photos. (keepers or not - just to see them from different angles)

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:47 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Death in the Deep Snow

A very nice job on these Douglas ~ Ron

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Death in the Deep Snow

Now that's a "bird feeder" in more ways than one. Great shots. Too bad you missed the "take-away"! Don

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:14 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Death in the Deep Snow

nicely captured Douglas

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Death in the Deep Snow

A strong set, Douglas
Reading your discussion with Keith about ID-ing the species reminds me why I never became a birder. About all I can tell between two bird species a few feet apart is that one may be larger than the other .
Charlie

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:09 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Death in the Deep Snow

Charlie: I certainly can't claim to be a birder either. My expertise is very narrow in scope and it involves raptors. I sent those photos on to an associate of mine. He flew a sharp-shin last season and spent last year with one in his house. Me and him spent many days afield with it. I on the other hand have flown Coopers and Goshawks for the better part of 50 years now. He agreed with me - sharpie.

I do raptors pretty well. But throw a brown sparrow thing at me and most of the time I'm lost.

Either way, those are excellent shots.

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.