k14process

[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elaine

Crispy with punchy color! Love it.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Laszlo Bencze

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elaine

I'm afraid I find this to be very harsh both technically and emotionally. Her expression is awkward and uncertain in an unflattering way. Yet I sense that your intention is to flatter her. The words distract. Time to think through what you're doing with portraits. Having a sharp lens is not the key to success. Knowing what you intend to say and keeping all elements of your picture consistent with that intention is key. This takes a good deal of effort, but it becomes easier and easier with practice.

Feb 16, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elaine

Not sure what her expression is saying, but I have the sense I'm looking deep into her eyes. I like the colour version in this shot. Nice composition, Bob.

BTW, FWIW and Laszlo's benefit, I don't think you try to flatter your subjects, based on viewing all of your shots in this series. More of a "WYSIWYG". Hope that's not too many acronyms.

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elaine

Thanks, Jim. I sent Laszlo a longish PM explaining what I do.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:09 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elaine

Wow

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:07 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elaine

Wow, a guy with 32 posts criticizing this image. I personally like it, but you almost missed the right side ( her left side ) of the picture.

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:08 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Elaine

Dave, Laszlo has a post introducing himself. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1274413

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:51 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Elaine

Dave, suggesting that anybody needs a certain number of posts to criticize anyone here is just wrong. And not very welcoming. It's not about how long you've been here.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:34 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Elaine

Sorry about jumping on Lazlo. I just assumed that he was just starting out in photography and thought he already knew everything. I read his introduction just now and I see that I was wrong.

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:43 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Elaine

Great photo. For me the background color is distracting and takes away from the woman.

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:10 PM
Laszlo Bencze

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Elaine

DaveOls wrote:
Sorry about jumping on Lazlo. I just assumed that he was just starting out in photography and thought he already knew everything. I read his introduction just now and I see that I was wrong.

Apology accepted Dave. My intention in offering criticism is never to put someone down. What's the point of that? I always offer suggestions to guide the serious photographer towards a path more likely to be successful. If a photographer is not serious about what he/she is doing, then I have very little to offer; but how often do unserious photographers post to forums like these? The presumption is that people are showing their pictures either as completely successful work to inspire others or seeking criticism that will help and inspire towards better results. (By the way, "criticism" is any useful feedback and it may be pure praise.) Difficulty can arise when a poster imagines they have achieved a high degree of success and their picture does not support this judgement. That's when feelings are likely to get hurt.

I think it best in forums of this nature to post with humility, acknowledging that a picture which you consider perhaps the best you've ever made may yet benefit from some improvement. Likewise for those who criticize it is wise to be measured in response, understanding that you may have misapprehended the intent of the image or failed to see some important aspect of it.

I have been quite impressed with this Fred Miranda forum. The people posting pictures seem generally to be quite serious about what they are doing and also tend to do it pretty well (and sometimes even superbly well). The responses I've had to the critiques I've offered have been gratifyingly appreciative. I find myself enjoying the interchange and intend to continue.

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:24 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Elaine

+1 :-)

Feb 18, 2014 at 08:35 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Elaine

Wildcat, the purple background IS awfully strong. Maybe I should have gone to B&W, as I usually do. Thanks for your thoughts.

Feb 19, 2014 at 06:46 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.