Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Workflow

Michael White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Workflow

I got a question for you pros most of the workflow books and articles just cover the computer work flow but I've yet seen one the covers the job from start to finish.

I concider the computer workflow to consist of several parts and are part of the post shoot process

You return from the job you store equipment after cleaning

Put all batteries on the charger ( I use Enloops bat ties or energizer) plus I have to recharge the quantum batteries and the ranger batt for the Quadra not to mention the camera batteries
Then I start ingestion ting the photos into LR, while the computer is crunching and doing its thing. I continue to return the equipment back to storage and check it in so we know we didn't leave anything at the site or in the vehicle I use checklists for everything it comes from my military job if you have a checklist and use it the your less likely to make a mistake. Which is why I'm asking for your workflow to make sure that my checklist is complete.

When we are approached to do a job we grab the checklist book and turn to the initial job interview checklist. And go down the list, eventually ill develope a program instead of a note book it will have everything for a small to a large job I it and you just follow the flow chart with the client they are allowed to review it also so they can think on answers to the questions we will ask eventually we will have a book for the client to review at their lea sure after the initial interview. Ok so you can see where we are going with this. I think of a job in three general parts pre shoot, shoot, and post shoot So if you don't mind helping a fellow photog out will you breakdown you pre, shoot, and post tasks down and list them here. MTIA

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Workflow

What no one wants to help if you want it kept private then pm, if you have it inan electronic format and rather email it pm me

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Workflow

I've started an Visio type document and once it is complete ill post it here

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:39 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Workflow

My first thing is to download the photos and back them up. Batteries, cleaning equipment, and the like can wait.

John

Feb 17, 2014 at 05:15 PM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Workflow

So the pre shoot and shoot items aren't important to you John

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Workflow

No, Michael, I didn't say that. You shouldn't put words in other peoples' mouths. Your example stated that you "store equipment after cleaning" and then "charged batteries" after which you then start pulling photos into your computer.

What I stated was that I download and backup first, as to me, clean equipment and charged batteries do not get me paid, it's the photos I took that get me paid, and I take care of the most important things, first.

I addressed only one aspect. The pre-shoot and shoot items vary so much between photographers based on what the job is makes it fairly worthless to discuss. No one does it the same, even those who do the same job. My pre-shoot may address things you never have to worry about and probably never even thought about (barcoded envelopes, for one example).

There's a reason that workflow people address the post-shoot tasks, because pretty much EVERYONE has to do them. Download, backup, sort/rate, edit, backup, deliver. Everyone does those six items. Since everyone does it, it behooves people to determine the best way to do things. (Everyone also bills, but some do it up from, some at the end, depends on the business model.)

John

Feb 19, 2014 at 02:21 AM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Workflow

I am with John. Get back from the job and first thing is to import the cards and backup. The equipment can wait for another day, not necessarily literally but it depends on the calendar appointments. If I have something come up the next day then it is in the schedule to charge batteries etc. I keep all my equipment in a case and in the norm, there is no need to clean the equipment. I take care of it and it does not become dirty. If it does then I clean it after the shoot before I leave the assignment. I actually import and backup images at the same time.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:38 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Workflow

Michael White wrote:
What no one wants to help if you want it kept private then pm, if you have it inan electronic format and rather email it pm me

Hi Michael,

By topic and heading this certainly should be the board to post this question on, but the Pro forum gets so little traffic you may want to consider posting the same question in Weddings.

Regards,

Chuck

Feb 20, 2014 at 02:02 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Workflow

I was hoping to get the checklist photos use for pre shoot and shoot and post shoot. I know people do things different and I would like to see how others do it, I usually download my cards on site to a backup device then I connect it to the computer upon arrival once it is unloaded and the the attention in put to the gear getting it ready for the next job while the computer is ingesting the photos then I turn my attention back to the computer keywording, flagging, coding and tweaking the images then I turn to developing the image in lr's develop module and preparing the images we will submit for use the we deliver proofs to the client the client selects images for the job and we go back to the dev mod and ps to finish the image per the clients wishes.

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:59 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Workflow

I usually download the images and backup first. While that is working I put backup camera equipment in a storage cabinet as I never keep both camera sets in the same place except for when on a job. I also clean the lens with a lens cloth before putting it away. I will NEVER forget doing a video and seeing a spot floating around the edge of the frame. I also charge the batteries as my jobs are usually last minute and I have to be ready. When download is done CF cards go in a holding place. The rest depends on what the time line is and my other appointments. If a rush then I start the edit process. If not it goes in line with my other jobs. I try for a 2-3 day turn on bigger jobs and same day for average 1-2 person portraits and most of those are delivered at time of shoot.
After job is delivered I format the CF cards and place in the holder for clean cards. I never erase until the job is delivered.

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password