New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

HansenTsang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

I shoot houses and I don't use a flash. I shoot 6 exposure and merge them in HDR. I don't get to choose the time of the day I shoot so I have to shoot from a dark interior to a bright window a lot.

I thought the Sony A7/A7R would make my equipment lighter and easier to carry.

Now I am getting into more issue with these two cameras. I am getting a lot more lens flare. The A7 is really bad. I am getting ghosting also. The A7R is a bit better but I still get a lot of decrease contrast.

I have been shooting these two cameras since December 2013 and tried all kinds of lenses. All with similar results.

So my question is if a polarized filter will help some? I am using the Sony 16-35mm and I can use a 77mm polarized filter. My Nikon 14-24mm is out of luck as far as filter.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

I would look first to your adapter(s) and make sure they aren't causing internal reflections. I have heard that some have added black flocking to their adapters to reduce this problem. Does it happen with native lenses?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

Steve Spencer wrote:
I would look first to your adapter(s) and make sure they aren't causing internal reflections. I have heard that some have added black flocking to their adapters to reduce this problem. Does it happen with native lenses?

I have tried many adapters including the 2 Sony's, Metabones for Nikon, generic adapter for Olympus, EOS etc. Never tried a native FE lens since they don't make one wider than 24mm (24 to 70mm).

Feb 16, 2014 at 01:17 AM
ClausC
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

I had quite bad flare with the Leica R 90/2 AA on a cheap fotodiox adapter from light sources just outside the field-of-view. By taking a number of pictures of a pointsource (in or out the FOV) it was evident, that the light struck the inside of the camera end of the adapter (The sun hitting the inside of the extensible hood had just the right position to add a diffuse fingerprint in the corner of the picture).

I made a small strip of "Flocking Paper #65" (Edmunds Optics) , rolled it into a stubby cylinder and placed it in the adapter, the width of the strip is slightly less than the length of the adapter. It expands by itself and sits OK. This seems to work well.

Regards

Claus

P.S. Googling around it apears the Protostar flocking material appears superior to Edmunds according to the astro-guys, you can get a sheet for 12$ http://www.fpi-protostar.com/hitack.htm

Feb 16, 2014 at 02:57 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

HansenTsang wrote:
I shoot houses and I don't use a flash. I shoot 6 exposure and merge them in HDR. I don't get to choose the time of the day I shoot so I have to shoot from a dark interior to a bright window a lot.

I thought the Sony A7/A7R would make my equipment lighter and easier to carry.

Now I am getting into more issue with these two cameras. I am getting a lot more lens flare. The A7 is really bad. I am getting ghosting also. The A7R is a bit better but I still get a lot of
...Show more

A polarizing filter will not help.

There are two flare issues with the A7(R) that have been amply illustrated in the A7(R) image thread. One cause of flare is the shiny interior of adapters. People have successfully tackled this problem by covering the adapter barrel with less reflective materials and/or by adding baffles.

The other cause of flare are reflections within the sensor filter stack. Night shots almost invariably reveal a radial streak of ghosts emanating from highlights. Although noticed directly only when the contrast is very high, such reflections lower the contrast of any image.

Flare, regardless of its cause, ultimately sets the dynamic range limit in HDR imaging. The A7(R) would not be my camera of choice for HDR. Best sensor on the market? Perhaps, but not in every regard.

Feb 16, 2014 at 04:58 AM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

You may want to check your adapter. My A7R seems to be working fine with Nikon 14-24, although I haven't taken many shots. This one is shot straight into the sun:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/11762362175_af9dc1c7bf_b.jpg

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

PS: No filter on lens.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

sxgva wrote:
You may want to check your adapter. My A7R seems to be working fine with Nikon 14-24, although I haven't taken many shots. This one is shot straight into the sun:

The area around the sun is washed out in a bad way.

Of course, this is a difficult subject for any lens/camera combination. A direct comparison with other camera's would be interesting - and more telling.

Feb 16, 2014 at 01:36 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

It is mainly an adapter problem. All my NEX-7 adapters are no good on the A7r except the Canon FD adapter because all the shiny parts are on top.
It is especially very disturbing on the longer focal lenghts lenses.
I work now with two adapters, after I fiddled around with black rubber rings inside, first Leica M to NEX and on top of that I use adapters to Leica M. Works very good.

Feb 16, 2014 at 01:58 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

sxgva wrote:

You won't see it in such a shot. Try to make the same shot through a window.

Feb 16, 2014 at 02:52 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

carstenw wrote:
You won't see it in such a shot. Try to make the same shot through a window.

Then the flare, if any, would be attributed to the window?
I'll try it when the weather is nice.

Feb 16, 2014 at 03:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

It could be an open window. It is the high-contrast transition which is so objectionable. I saw it several times yesterday while urbexing, and I have seen it with my FE35, so it doesn't only have to do with adapters.

Feb 16, 2014 at 03:16 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

carstenw wrote:
It could be an open window. It is the high-contrast transition which is so objectionable. I saw it several times yesterday while urbexing, and I have seen it with my FE35, so it doesn't only have to do with adapters.

It was through an open window that I took this shot.

Feb 16, 2014 at 04:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

Erm, with the window frame in the shot Here is an example, look at the top small window, A7, 21 Distagon. My D800 doesn't do this with the same lens. The A7 also does it with the FE35.

http://throughthelensdarkly.com/forums/SonyA7/CW_20140215_SonyA7_0051.jpg

Feb 16, 2014 at 05:10 PM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

I see what you mean. Very bright right next to very dark. Thank you! I'll test my 14-24 tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Feb 16, 2014 at 05:36 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

carstenw wrote:
Erm, with the window frame in the shot Here is an example, look at the top small window, A7, 21 Distagon. My D800 doesn't do this with the same lens. The A7 also does it with the FE35.

Yup. This is the sensor flare of the A7. It happens with any lens, away from the image center.

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:04 PM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

carstenw wrote:

Thanks for the illustration. That is exactly the kind of flare I am getting. The A7 is really bad. The A7R is better. My Nikon D700 is better still. I guess I have to get the D800. I thought the A7R could be a good light weight setup but I think it is not turning out that way. I will use it as a backup only.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:08 AM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

>>A polarizing filter will not help.<<

Thank you.

>>There are two flare issues with the A7(R) that have been amply illustrated in the A7(R) image thread. One cause of flare is the shiny interior of adapters. People have successfully tackled this problem by covering the adapter barrel with less reflective materials and/or by adding baffles.

The other cause of flare are reflections within the sensor filter stack. Night shots almost invariably reveal a radial streak of ghosts emanating from highlights. Although noticed directly only when the contrast is very high, such reflections lower the contrast of any image.

Flare, regardless of its cause, ultimately sets the dynamic range limit in HDR imaging. The A7(R) would not be my camera of choice for HDR. Best sensor on the market? Perhaps, but not in every regard. <<

Thanks, I will put the A7R as my backup and get the D800. My D700 is still working fine but it is getting a bit old with lots of use.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:09 AM
HansenTsang
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

ClausC wrote:
I had quite bad flare with the Leica R 90/2 AA on a cheap fotodiox adapter from light sources just outside the field-of-view. By taking a number of pictures of a pointsource (in or out the FOV) it was evident, that the light struck the inside of the camera end of the adapter (The sun hitting the inside of the extensible hood had just the right position to add a diffuse fingerprint in the corner of the picture).

I made a small strip of "Flocking Paper #65" (Edmunds Optics) , rolled it into a stubby cylinder and placed it in the
...Show more

Thank you. I will give that a try.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:10 AM
sxgva
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7/A7R lens flare

Took a few shots this morning with 14-24:

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.