Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

Elfraim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

Robin Smith wrote:
Well, you will just have to compare them in your hand to see which you prefer. I don't have small hands (I'm 6' 5'' 1.95 m). Of course you also save $1,000 or more which is worth bearing in mind too.

ofc..Thats the main reason i started this post. If the 1000$ weren't an issue i wouldn't be thinking twice about taking the 5d3.

I guess i'll have to play with both before i decide.

Feb 20, 2014 at 06:21 PM
Shield
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

To the OP - do you care about video? If so, the 5d3 has a much better handle on moire and aliasing over the 6d. Plus, you can load the Magic Lantern software and shoot 1920x1080 raw video on the 5d3; you cannot on the 6d due to the slower card write speed. AF system is superior, multiple card slots, faster burst rate, and the downside - the 6d from what I've seen maybe 1/2 stop at best very high ISO performance. And this is from ISO 6400 on - not like the 5d3 is poor in low light - it's amazing as well.
Bang for the buck and if you don't care about video - 6d all the way.

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:23 PM
phuoctue
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

Go for 6D. Period.

I was at the same feeling like yours before I married to the 6D.
If you are not into rough and tough environment fields or sport events 6D is more than what you need and then save that extra 1000 buck for the wild open lens. (f2.8 or less)

On lens selection, check on dxomark.com and see some amazing results on lens performance on 6D. Several pricey Canon L lens are scored lower than non Canon L lens (Sigma, Tokina, Samyang...). Then you can save even more for flash, filters, grip, tripods...

Feb 28, 2014 at 02:45 PM
gpgt1998
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

I'm using a 6D as a backup to a Hasselblad H3DII-31 for my work. I like it. It works. before the 6D I was using a 1ds3 and the 6D files are cleaner, but only by a little. The sync speed isn't an issue for portraits at all. There really isn't much of a difference between 1/180 & 1/250 in the studio. If you want a faster sync you'll need a leaf shutter (large or medium format) or the original 1D. The autofocus works fine and is accurate, though I rarely use it. Most of the glass I use on the 6D is vintage, manual focus Nikon & russian M42 mount. In the end you'll be better served putting money into good glass over whatever body. Digital 35mm sensors all produce about the same file quality only differing mainly in resolution. In my view the difference between the 6D & 5D3 isn't worth the monetary value. Especially when you consider the 6D can tether wirelessly without further investment. The best I can reccomend is to rent both & see which one fits what you need before purchasing either. It's chaeper than buying something and not liking it in the end.

Feb 28, 2014 at 04:28 PM
HansB
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

If you picked up both of them blindfolded, you can easily feel which one cost more. If build/material quality means anything to you.

Feb 28, 2014 at 09:32 PM
gpgt1998
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 5D3 Owners on the 6D, Pro wise.

If build quality is important, find a used 1 series body. I've had 5 of them through the years & they've survived heavy rain, extreme heat/cold, falls on granite and concrete; never failing. I don't put any faith in that the 6D/5D's would have fared as well. Construction wise the two are built around a magnesium frame only differing obviously in that the 6D top cover is plastic in order to not interfere with the wireless/gps function. The other difference is size, which I don't translate into better build quality.

Mar 01, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.