New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lens Date codes

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lens Date codes

How much do date codes influence you in purchasing used lenses?

In particular I am looking for a 90mm TS-E lens. Have they changed the optical formula during different years of manufacture or would you consider one from 2008 to be the same as a 2013 one? It is a MF lens so no AF problems to be concerned about.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lens Date codes

Date codes have very little influence on me. I'm most interested in current condition; optical, electronic, mechanical, and cosmetic.

I don't know anything about the evolution of the TS-E 90.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lens Date codes

For me it carries some weight but not as much as overall condition. I use it more as guide for pricing. It is nice fact to know when looking at lenses like the 90 TSE that have been in production for more than 20 years.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:15 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lens Date codes

While I tend to lean a little towards the date code...here is why

One never knows if Canon found a better way or part for the lens...better bushings, etc and in the long run might offer better performance (more consistent?)...but these alone don't warrant a model change or update
To some extent....an newer date code relates to less time in use. Granted...to some "pro" that doesn't mean that they haven't used it three times more than a novice...but odds are that the "newer" version can and most likely relates to less use.
Granted...I too look at "wear" marks, etc to determine how the user "treated" it...and while we all are not perfection freaks on how we use our gear....to me (also) I judge that if a lens shows no wear..most likely the owner was very cautious and handled at a better level than one with battle scars.

To each their own on judging and assessing the code value...but these are just my considerations.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:41 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lens Date codes

There is no clear lens code on the TS-E 90 lens determining its manufacturing age. It is just a number but without the "normal" code setting. I looked for an interpretation of the number shown on the 90 TS-E lens, but so far didn't find a conclusive answer. In my case the number has only 5 digits and no letters.

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:49 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lens Date codes

To answer the first part of your question: honestly not a lot when I bought used L lenses. For MF lenses like the TSE lenses, it is just important that the optics are okay and the mechanical tilt and shift systems. With other AF-lenses, I only had bad luck one time with a Canon 35/1.4 lens purchased used. The lens turned out to be four years old when purchased, and soon the AF drive had to be replaced. The age of the lens wouldn't have stopped me from buying it at the time.

It is good to know about the lens age if possible, but the overall condition with photos or other descriptive details is more important.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lens Date codes

retrofocus wrote:
There is no clear lens code on the TS-E 90 lens determining its manufacturing age. It is just a number but without the "normal" code setting. I looked for an interpretation of the number shown on the 90 TS-E lens, but so far didn't find a conclusive answer. In my case the number has only 5 digits and no letters.

WTF are you babbling about? Mine is "UL" (1997). That's total BS to say there is no date code. What does yours say? (I expect to wait forever on that answer.)

Date code is important, but not as important as overall condition. Most TSE lenses are treated with respect.

But there are changes in design and lens coatings over time. I'd always buy a newer model given the choice -- could be as simple a reason as fresher lubricants.

The 90TSE design began in 1991 and has retained the same basic optical formula the whole time. So, from then to about 1998 -- I'd roughly call its initial period, and I'd expect a reduced price. 1999 to 2006 -- I'd consider the interim and be most concerned about external appearance. 2007 to 2013 -- I'd consider that recent production, and the range I'd be most interested in and having the highest cost.

Because mine looks okay and there weren't many available a couple years ago when I was looking, I paid somewhere between $800-850 shipped. I still consider that a decent price. The lens takes flawless pictures with beautiful glass, but some external marks in the finish.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:08 PM
onesickpuppy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lens Date codes

Just a note.....if a "L" glass is missing the date code....located in the normal position on the black area near the lens mount.....most likely at some point....Canon had did some work on the lens...and had to replace the mount. Usually then...the new one has no date code.

JUST FYI

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:14 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lens Date codes

Retro -- Well, then, is yours brand new, within the last few years where many semi-premium non-L lenses lost their date codes, after UZ in 2011.

Otherwise the serial number must have been filed off after commission of a murder. (Sorry, Dead President's Day humor for Mr. Lincoln.)

I retract and apologize for my remark that I'll have to wait forever for you to respond -- you do seem to own the lens!

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:22 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lens Date codes

Gunzorro wrote:
WTF are you babbling about? Mine is "UL" (1997). That's total BS to say there is no date code. What does yours say? (I expect to wait forever on that answer.)

Date code is important, but not as important as overall condition. Most TSE lenses are treated with respect.

But there are changes in design and lens coatings over time. I'd always buy a newer model given the choice -- could be as simple a reason as fresher lubricants.

The 90TSE design began in 1991 and has retained the same basic optical formula the whole time. So, from then to about 1998
...Show more

I state corrected - you are right this time. After really looking closely with a flashlight (your convincing post made me triple-check!) I found the number. I have a UX date code - so from 2009. Bought it for $800....guess I was lucky.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:24 PM
slee915
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lens Date codes

Gunzorro wrote:
Retro -- Well, then, is yours brand new, within the last few years where many semi-premium non-L lenses lost their date codes, after UZ in 2011.

My 24-70 f/2.8 II L and 70-200 f/2.8 II L do not have date codes.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:27 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lens Date codes

slee915 wrote:
My 24-70 f/2.8 II L and 70-200 f/2.8 II L do not have date codes.

For the newer lenses Canon introduced a new number system:
http://www.eflens.com/lens_articles/canon_lens_date_codes.html

Hope this helps!

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lens Date codes

Retro -- Thanks for the triple check!

Some of the newer lenses look like the codes were melted into the plastic (probably pressed in), instead of stamped with whitish paint. Makes it very hard to see in some photo listings on eBay and the B&S here.

Fortunately, many of the new lenses simply started over again at UA, moving forward. Silly Canon! Trix are for kids!

All's well that ends well!

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:42 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lens Date codes

Gunzorro wrote:
Retro -- Thanks for the triple check!

Some of the newer lenses look like the codes were melted into the plastic (probably pressed in), instead of stamped with whitish paint. Makes it very hard to see in some photo listings on eBay and the B&S here.

Fortunately, many of the new lenses simply started over again at UA, moving forward. Silly Canon! Trix are for kids!

All's well that ends well!

I simply overlooked it several times I admit - it was as you described slightly pressed into the black plastic part. I was only able to see it when holding it in a bit of an angle towards my flashlight. Definitely a great lens (I think we both agree).

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:06 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lens Date codes

onesickpuppy wrote:
While I tend to lean a little towards the date code...here is why

One never knows if Canon found a better way or part for the lens...better bushings, etc and in the long run might offer better performance (more consistent?)...but these alone don't warrant a model change or update
To some extent....an newer date code relates to less time in use. Granted...to some "pro" that doesn't mean that they haven't used it three times more than a novice...but odds are that the "newer" version can and most likely relates to less use.
Granted...I too look at "wear" marks, etc to determine how the
...Show more

When Canon changes almost anything the model changes along with the white paper. An example is 200/2.8L vI and vII. VII only change was the hood!

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.