Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

hauxon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Went to Thingvellir national park this morning with my brand new Fuji 14mm super-wide angle lens and Lee graduated filters. Great weather, sharp lens, but WTF is tha in the bottom of the image?!! It seems like the white letters on the inside of the lens do reflect in the filter. I did never experience this with any of my previous UWA lenses. One might think this occurs because the sun is shining into the lens but that's not the case. As you can see looking at the image I was standing in shadow from the sun and if anything in rather dark conditions. ...I'm annoyed!

Feb 15, 2014 at 03:37 PM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Crap, that ruined a great shot. I'd be annoyed as well. Looks like you need to make some practice shots to figure out what is going on (e.g. take a sharpie to those white letters).

Feb 15, 2014 at 03:43 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

It's not only the letters, you can see what appears to be "posterization" in the dark to light blue transition on the water surface. It must be various intensties of reflection off the inside of the filter, from the outer surfaces of the lens face.

Feb 15, 2014 at 03:46 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #4 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Yes, I might need to cut out black filter material to able to use the lens. Don't recall this problem with me 21ZE. The Fuji has rather fat and bright white letters written on a black semi-glossy background. This seems to be a major design flaw in the lens design since using filters is essential for many landscape shots.

Feb 15, 2014 at 03:53 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
p.1 #5 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

1. That is a beautiful shot!
2. Definitely the white lettering... As suggested by another, Sharpies work great, and be cleaned off with alcohol in the future.
3. Send this image into fuji. If R&D doesn't know of this, they need to. Hopefully future iterations will have this resolved, but they can't make changes if they don't know!
4. Clean your sensor? I noticed those, what appear to be sensor spots, before I noticed the white lettering effect.

5.Thanks for posting! Picking up a fuji wide is somewhere on the horizon, but I've got to sort out whether I'd benefit more from the zoom or prime before pulling the trigger.

Feb 15, 2014 at 04:08 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #6 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

The camera is same as new so my guess would be dirt on the filter rather than the sensor, but I'll check it.

Feb 15, 2014 at 04:13 PM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.1 #7 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Yikes. I'd start with some electrical (or gaffers) tape first. Even easier to remove (and apply) than a sharpie.

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I'd actually try covering it with some non-reflective adhesive material, because it looks like it's not just the letters that are reflecting but the whole ring they are engraved on.

Thats really annoying, and I have this type filters but never tried them with this particular lens. I think I've only tried them with the 18-55 and I didnt notice anything... that sucks, fuji definitely needs to know

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I'd use flocked paper, http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/protostar_deleted.html

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:28 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

just been through my whole lightroom catalogue and didn't see this on any of my images with this lens (with and without filters).

Did you bring up the shadows much in post processing?

Feb 15, 2014 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

itai195
• • •
p.1 #11 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I've never even seen that effect with my ZF.2's with their white lettering and chrome filter rings. I'm kind of surprised that this could happen with the Fuji. You're sure the filter was set up properly?

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Well, it has to be related to the reflectivity of the filter, right?

P.S. Hrannar, it looks like you have a couple of dust bunnies on your sensor.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:31 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #13 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I did add contrast to make the problem more visible in the image but it's still easily visible in an unedited file. I've used my Lee filters for years and the only real problem I've had was when I forgot to cover up/close the viewfinder with long exposures. Should not be a problem wth mirrorless. The sun was rising to the left but I was standing in the shadow. Maybe it is light coming in from the sides somehow... I need to make some tests tomorrow.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:29 PM
itai195
• • •
p.1 #14 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

Yeah that was my guess, light leaking in from the sides, though I'm not sure if that would cause this kind of reflection. Are you using the 75mm filters?

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #15 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I'm using the regular 100mm filters Itai195.

Here's my theory of what happened. The upper part (the sky) is bright and the lower part is very dark (the canyon). Fuji designers decided to have the surface that the lettering is on angled inwards thus reflecting light back to the filter with an angle towards the lens. This will not occur to the same extent with landscape orientation since the sky (bright part) is usually in the upper part of the image.

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:35 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I wonder if this is a problem with the acrylic filter itself and maybe it doesn't happen with normal glass filters?

Feb 16, 2014 at 03:20 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #17 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I am still trying to build my Lee filter holder kit.
I have the holder and a few adapter rings.
However, I find filters are expensive compared to even high quality screw on filters.
I will get there, eventually.

Question: Does this reflection happen to screw on filters too?
I have 4 82mm filters, ND2, ND4, ND8, and circular polarizer.
I use step rings for the various lenses.
I have only used them rarely, need to start using them more...

Feb 16, 2014 at 05:43 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #18 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I haven't had the the time to do thorough test but one would think that this is a non-issue with screw on filters since the are closer to the lens and the angled reflection from the bevel would not probably not reach into the frame. I was using a 72mm wide-angle ring and a 72->58mm step up ring which I've measured puts the filter further 3mm away from the lens. I have to do a test using a Lee 58mm WA ring and see if it puts the reflection outside of the frame (by bringing the filter closer to the lens).

Buggz2k: You cannot achieve the same with screw on filters. Using graduated filters is essential for landscape shooting (and many more types) and you can only precisely position them by using a filter holder like the Lee system (or Cokin). You can also use the graduated as ND filters by dragging the dark part all the way down and you can also stack them if you need. Two graduated filters will do 99% of what you want. I have tow grads, 2 and 3 stop hard grads and a Big Stopper (10 stop). Lee costs because it's quality stuff, just like Sigh-Ray filters that are also top notch.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #19 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

hauxon,
Thanks for the information.
Yes, I understand GNDs in that they need to be turned to the areas you want, thus the screw on filters cannot do this, or would suck badly for this.
But, I did not know there was enough area for a GND to become hard stops.
Thanks again.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:36 PM
hauxon
• • •
p.1 #20 · Problem using Fuji 14mm and filters!

I just did a quick test at home and was able to reproduce the problem. The landscape shot in the original image was at f/16. In my test the effect could be seen from f/11 and up and by tilting the camera a bit downwards (to give the letters more direct light). I could not see it at f/8, probably because it's too far outside of the focus field. Sadly I could have used f/8 for the above image since nothing is really close to the camera in that specific shot (and gotten a sharper picture too).

I also tried a 58mm circular polarizer instead of the Lee holder/filter system and it is not a problem if you're using regular screw-on filters.

I spoke to the Fujifilm Iceland today and the images will be sent on to Fuji Europe for further inspection.

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:44 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password