Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

khruschev

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Quick updates: The lens was received by Nikon service center, at least by looking at the parcel carrier's tracking on Tuesday morning. As of Thursday evening (PST) I still haven't gotten anything regarding the lens. Normally in the past it shows up the next day (which would have been Wednesday in this case). I called up the 1-800 Nikon number today and the customer rep told me it "takes up to 4 business days for them to enter it into their database." I'm not entirely sure why it is taking such a long time for them to process it, but they have until Monday.

Yesterday I also got a response back about my shipping refund, for a copy of the tracking # and receipt, to which I responded with a scanned copy. I haven't heard anything back about that today either.

I'll keep updating as things happen.

Feb 20, 2014 at 09:14 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Thanks for the update.

Feb 21, 2014 at 03:30 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.. Make sure and edit the title of this thread when the meat shows up.. as in *UPDATED*.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:03 PM
glennh56
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Hopefully it's all going to work out in the end. You need a good tech person who cares. My recent experience with a lowly P7700 was excellent and wishing you the same.

Feb 21, 2014 at 05:10 PM
khruschev

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Major Update:

OK the lens was finally entered into their database this morning (HST time) and I anxiously clicked on the pdf of the invoice. I'm happy to report that it will be completely repaired under warranty! Although they sure took their time in informing me, probably because they were trying to figure whose fault it was (or who to fire, one could hope).

The reason for repair was stated as:

SEE CUSTOMERS LETTER CUST STATES SEVERAL ISSUES AFTER LAST
PREVIOUSLY SERVICED RPR-SCRATCHED REAR ELEM*APERTURE LVR

The repair rank was listed as C which I believe means a major repair right?

Does anyone know if they actually replace the entire rear element, or if they do something else to fix it?

I also got another email earlier before that stating that they will send me a check to reimburse for me having to ship it out for the second time.

Edited on Feb 21, 2014 at 11:34 PM · View previous versions

Feb 21, 2014 at 08:25 PM
ronno
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

So there is a glimmer of hope, eh?
Reminds me of a superintendent I had at my NYC apartment - whenever he came he would repair something and break something else before he left.
Now Nikon just has to be more consistent with the good service...

It'll be interesting to see in what condition it arrives back to you this time.

Feb 21, 2014 at 09:06 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Ask them if someone is getting fired over this "repair".

Feb 22, 2014 at 01:51 AM
jbouchard
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

<rant>
You hear on the news about how Americans don't educate enough kids in Math, Science, and Technology compared to Japan, China, etc, and this is a perfect example of what happens because of that. Those of you who don't work in manufacturing, service, repair, etc of some sort of complex mechanical product probably don't see it, but those of you who do work in those fields probably know what I'm talking about.

At the factories that are spitting out new lenses in Japan, China and Thailand, they have trained people, and they invest in tooling to make sure it's as mistake proof as possible. Service work requires a much greater skill set because it's not repetitive work, they have something different every day depending on what comes in, and throughout the country there isn't a good infrastructure to train people like that. The automotive industry has invested in creating "factory trained technicians" but most other industries have not. Mostly we depend on people learning from mentors, but if the mentors retire before the company hired new people to learn, it's a bad situation. I expect this is what happens to Nikon, and it's not just them, it's happening to many, or most, manufacturers. It's a societal problem. It's not just that the offshore countries have lower paid workers, they have smarter workers, and probably a better work ethic too.

You might think there is a repair facility full of highly trained technicians with 20 years of experience handling your repair, but I doubt that is true. I would predict there are a couple of those guys who are now managers or supervisors who came up through the ranks, and the people at the benches are inexperienced young people who might want to do a good job, but they don't know how. Business's try to hire good workers and train them as best they can, but it's really hard to find good people to fill those positions, so they hire what then can get, and this is the result. Nobody is going to fire these people when they screw up your job, because they can't find anyone better.

Anyway, back to school... people spend all their time arguing about issues like whether our children can say the Pledge of Allegiance with the word "God" in it, versus the basics of English, Math, and Science. When you can't find anyone to fix your lens, that's why.
</rant>

If you don't get satisfaction, you have to talk to the supervisor, or manager, and eventually you'll find someone who does care, and they will set it right. But normally those people don't see your paperwork.

Edited on Feb 24, 2014 at 04:19 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Well, that didn't go the way I expected it to whatsoever.

This is very good news. And the shipping was gravy. I hope your stuff gets back ASAP and all is well.

So in the bigger picture of things... this would be GOOD GUYS - 3 / BAD GUY - 100+

Feb 24, 2014 at 01:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Reagan wrote:
For equipment not under warranty I would use APS in Illinois but it's too late now

Reagan

+1 That's whom I use.

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:17 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Good to hear ... Nikon has always pulled through for me, but I've often had to be politely aggressive to make it happen.

Feb 24, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Boss302
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Had issue with my Nikon 28 -70mm f2.8. No warranty. Sent to Nikon repair through my local retail photo store (they happily took care of me even though did not buy through them). Nikon had it better than 8 weeks. Received it back and works great, clean and I am happy. However it was over $350.00 to get it done.

Feb 24, 2014 at 03:34 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

My guess is they compared it to the photos they took while inspecting your lens the first time and saw it hadn't been damaged prior...

Good to hear they stood up.

Feb 24, 2014 at 06:33 PM
jim allison
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

This is indeed a miracle! Could they have finally gotten the message that you can't screw folks over repeatedly,
without effecting your bottom line?

Feb 24, 2014 at 06:46 PM
khruschev

p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Update 2: Lens was shipped today and should be in my hands tomorrow. I will update once again when I inspect it once more.

@Boss302: They had it for 8 weeks? Wow that's a long time.

@M635_Guy: I hadn't thought of that, but seeing as how they are a camera company I'm inclined to believe you, lol.

Feb 25, 2014 at 09:01 PM
khruschev

p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Well, I got it back and put it through the paces.

The Good: The rear element was replaced, no scratches were evident. Also the aperture ring was installed correctly this time, so f/2.8 is really f/2.8 now. I checked the focus, and the lens appeared to be centered correctly. I then fine-tuned the AF on my camera. The AF was working fine at this point.

The Ugly: Today I picked up my camera, and wanted to take some test shots not related to the lens. First few shots were fine, until all of a sudden my camera stopped responding. It still looked normal but was unresponsive. I power cycled the camera, and somehow the settings (shutter speed, ISO, aperture) changed back to a little before it went haywire. So I turned it off, took out the battery, then tried again. Then I started getting issues with the autofocus. But before that my camera behaved really weirdly, like I could not change the settings, and I even got a card error (it was fine). It basically could not focus past the 4 meter mark, either way. If I set focus to infinity and focused at something greater than 4m away it works, if I set focus to less than 4m and focused to something less than 4m it's also fine. But if the focus was at infinity and I tried focusing on something less than 4m away it would get stuck at 4 meters. And vice versa as well. If I kept the shutter release pressed and moved the focus ring over the 4m mark, I would sometimes hear a high pitched whine from the SWM (you can hear a little of that at 39 seconds). See a video of all of this here:

So I will be sending it back for the third time now. I wish they could just send me a new 24-70 and be done with it... .

Edit: In the few days I was using the lens, I was also testing out a pair of Yongnuo TTL transceivers using only this lens. Any way at all that would affect the lens? Though when the AF died I wasn't using them.

Edited on Mar 03, 2014 at 05:40 PM · View previous versions

Mar 03, 2014 at 05:51 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

Bummer

Don't see how the triggers could affect it. Is this only happening with the 24-70 ? have you tried another lens ? When you say "power cycled" you mean you did the 2 button reset ?

Andy

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:11 AM
khruschev

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · *UPDATE 2*: Nikon Service Returns Lens in Worse Shape Than Sent In

So this is the weird part: Not only is the 28-70 doing it, but my brand new 105 macro was also doing it, although it would just slow down and would get "unstuck" eventually. I have a separate thread for that one with a youtube video as well. Nevertheless I tested all of my other lenses and they were fine. This is most likely just some weird coincidence.

When I say power-cycled I mean just turn off then on.

Mar 03, 2014 at 08:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.