Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

I shoot pictures for a small countywide magazine similar to Penny Saver in that the primary content is advertising. The publisher requested that I take some photos of the staff of a new business that they were going to be featuring in the next issue. Our agreed upon compensation with the magazine is that the publisher gives my photography business full photo credit and free advertising.

After I took the staff photos at the new business I sent them low res photos for them to review. I indicated that if they wanted to use any photos for their new website that they should contact me and I would quote a price. I received a reply in which the owner stated "I think it would be great to use some of them. I will get with the website developer and see which ones we might want to purchase from you."

The magazine in question came out today and, to my surprise, the ad that the business had placed with the magazine included one of the photos I had taken. I double checked the ad against my photo, and there is no question that they used my image without my permission.

My plan is to send them an email notifying them to not use my images without my permission. I am also planning on sending them a bill.

I am looking for advice as to what to charge for use of my photo? I'm not sure what the circulation of the magazine is, but the total population is about 35,000.

Feb 14, 2014 at 09:10 PM
GoGo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

Our agreed upon compensation with the magazine is that the publisher gives my photography business full photo credit and free advertising.

Well then?

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:27 AM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

GoGo wrote:
Our agreed upon compensation with the magazine is that the publisher gives my photography business full photo credit and free advertising.

Well then?

"Well then" what? I was referring to the business that placed an ad in the magazine using my photo not the magazine itself. Getting photo credit and a free ad for my photos that appear in the magazine's articles is a totally separate issue from an advertiser using my images without my permission.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

Getting photo credit and a free ad for my photos that appear in the magazine's articles is a totally separate issue from an advertiser using my images without my permission.

Apparently you didn't make this clear enough to the publisher. For the photos of the new business staff, you should have had a written compensation agreement in place before you took the photos, and certainly before sending the photos to the magazine.

John

Feb 16, 2014 at 12:25 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

John

I agree with you that a written agreement should be entered into with any business who has hired you to take photos. In this case, I was taking the photos at the request of the magazine to supplement an article they were writing about the business. I also shoot for a local newspaper (on a volunteer basis). When I am taking photos of the business for inclusion in the story I would never enter into a signed agreement with the business because they were not the ones who retained my services. So far as the advertiser themselves is concerned I did, as indicated above, tell them that there would be a fee for using any photos they might want to use in their website. We didn't have any written agreement because they hadn't made a formal request to use any of my photos.

I subsequently learned that the magazine publisher actually created the ad which is quite common. Where I need to get something in writing is the uses to which the publisher can use my images. I spoke to a newspaper editor friend of mine, and he told me that even though they frequently create the ads for clients that they would never use one of my photos to put in an ad without my permission first.

Feb 16, 2014 at 01:43 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

graham_martin wrote:
I am looking for advice as to what to charge for use of my photo?

$446.87

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:56 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

glort wrote:
$446.87

Aussie rounding is weird. We'd round that to $446.88 here in the states. (I did the same calculation as you.)

John

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

I was actually thinking of $2,394.15. Some people have a strange sense of humor!

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

So did the business run the ad that they placed in the magazine or did they run the photo alone without the ad layout...?

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:01 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

The business ran the ad with my photo. The magazine ran the article with my photo and gave me photo credit which was perfectly acceptable to me.

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:18 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

I think the problem stems from this:

Unless your bank takes photo credit as payment for a mortgage, or your car payment, or heck, if McDonald's takes it in payment for a Big Mac, this is a non-sustainable situation for you. The publication gets something for free. You get, in essence, nothing. Or do you have a magic way to turn that photo credit into guaranteed dollars?

John

Feb 17, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

graham_martin wrote:
The business ran the ad with my photo. The magazine ran the article with my photo and gave me photo credit which was perfectly acceptable to me.

I am still a little unclear but if the ad has your photo credit on it then it carries over when the business ran a copy of the ad

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

Basically you work for a magazine for free. If you were a staffer this is exactly the way it would work. You take photographs for their articles which they run in their magazine. One of these articles was for a business, a story you were assigned to cover. The business then purchased an ad in this magazine and used one of the photos from the story you were assigned to cover. I'm going to presume they got this image from the editor at the magazine.

Looking at it that way. It's all fair. The only foul I see is that working for free/credit has now come around to bite you in the "pocket." Because instead of getting paid money for your time & skill, you accept photo credit and free advertising. Although I don't know what advertising is doing for you as from your about page you seem rather proud of labeling yourself as a "photojournalist." But a photojournalist works for publications not private clients therefore advertising does you no good. I seriously suggest you evaluate your "paycheck" from this magazine and start asking for dollars instead of print space and credit which you should be getting anyway working for them.

Also this isn't a personal attack but a general statement to all. If you work for nothing that's exactly what your work is worth, nothing. And you will never convince anyone to go from accepting your work for free to handing you a check.

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:09 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

John Patrick wrote:
Aussie rounding is weird. We'd round that to $446.88 here in the states. (I did the same calculation as you.)

John

In Canada, since we got rid of the penny, it would be rounded up to $446.90.

Feb 18, 2014 at 10:40 AM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

swoop wrote:
Also this isn't a personal attack but a general statement to all. If you work for nothing that's exactly what your work is worth, nothing. And you will never convince anyone to go from accepting your work for free to handing you a check.

Everyone should read this. Then read it again.

John

Feb 18, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What to charge for a magazine ad?

chez wrote:
In Canada, since we got rid of the penny, it would be rounded up to $446.90.

You got rid of the penny!!?? Brilliant!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.