New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wide-angle DX Lens

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wide-angle DX Lens

I have a few nikon zooms that go as wide as 18 mm (18-200 AF-S Zoom) but sometimes I want something a little wider. Here's my problem:

I don't want to throw too many dollars at a 10-x or 12-x Nikon zoom and they don't offer any wide primes for DX cameras.

OTOH, I don't really want to compromise the image quality too much.

So, am I trapped? or is there something out there that would be useful?

Maybe something (I hate to say this, but...) non-Nikon?

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:26 PM
JThomas
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wide-angle DX Lens

I feel your pain.
The Tamron 11-16 seems to get good reviews, though I've never used one.
I have the Sigma 10-20. It seems a bit slow and my copy's not wonderfully sharp.

(I shoot mostly with FF now so it's not an issue)

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:56 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wide-angle DX Lens

You really don't want to throw the money at the Nikkor zooms. They're overpriced and perform only in the middle of the pack. Nikon has completely abandoned the DX market for good, high-quality lenses, with every DX lens in the line except the 35/1.8DX, 16-85VR and 85 VR micro having superior 3rd party direct replacements.

You do have some options.

If you don't mind manual focus, Samyang makes a 10/2.8 and 16/2 primes for DX cameras, with a CPU so full exposure, metering & flash modes but no AF. They also make an FX 14/2.8 that does well on DX cameras. All are reasonably inexpensive.

If you want AF, the Tokina 11-16/2.8 is superb and about $450 at B&H for the original version (the newer version II only differs in AF motor and coatings). Sigma also makes a pair of 10-20mm zooms (f3.5 and f4-5.6) that are quite good and also reasonably priced.

Feb 14, 2014 at 05:50 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wide-angle DX Lens

If you want a prime and 14mm is wide enough (a 21mm equivalent), then you might consider a Samyang 14 f/2.8. Read up on it and see samples in the threads. A quick summary is that it is sharp but with quite a bit of distortion, some other aberrations, and mediocre build quality. It seems to be a good value and very useable lens.

Edit: Mawz beat me to the post with even more suggestions.

Edited on Feb 14, 2014 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Feb 14, 2014 at 05:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wide-angle DX Lens

There is also the Tokina 16-28/2.8 FX if the crop equivalent (24-36) is sufficient for you. It is the successor to the Tokina DX lenses already mentioned. It is excellent reviews as well and excels at the wide end and has virtually nil for distortion from my research.

The real point of mentioning it is that Tokina did such a good job with their DX UWA Zooms, that they followed it up with an FX version ... i.e. another vote for the Tokina (on spec/review, no personal experience). I was looking for something wider than my Oly 18 a while back and it led me to the Tokina's.

Feb 14, 2014 at 06:01 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wide-angle DX Lens

thx much, all!

unfortunately the Samyang 14 f/2.8 is $400 - still too much for a non-nikon, for me...

Feb 14, 2014 at 07:00 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wide-angle DX Lens

rw11 wrote:
thx much, all!

unfortunately the Samyang 14 f/2.8 is $400 - still too much for a non-nikon, for me...

Realistically, you aren't getting a decent quality wide that's up to the requirements of any modern sensor for much less than $400. Good quality wides cost money.

That Samyang btw is optically superior to the Nikkor 14/2.8D, which sold for $1000 more, and approaches the performance of the 14-24 at 14mm. It's an absolute steal and also the cheapest option ever available at that FL.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:29 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wide-angle DX Lens

Thanks - As it turns out, I have solved my problem by moving to FX - a D610 body.

(Of course, now I miss all the low cost "reach" I had with DX...)

May 20, 2014 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.