FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Wayne Ek
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

It has been bitter cold and windy in my area of Mn. So all my shooting has been focused on the feeder
birds. Hopefully this coming week will be noticeably warmer and I can get out and do some
traveling for subjects. And I think this aperture/shutter speed/ISO is starting to make more sense now.
Still having problems with the pp (Lightroom 5) with the black feathers. All help welcomed.
P.S. We have really been going thru the suet this month, between the woodpeckers, crows & ravens and red squirrels
of all things.
Thanks,
Wayne

No.1 moving down after suet on the ground... that the dogs missed.

No. 2 going back up with the suet

No. 3 after suet again

No. 4 getting ready to take off... saw me in the window.

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:15 PM
unclechuck
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Wayne

Nice shots. They say 49 states have snow, I'm in Florida --- the one that doesn't ---

Not your kind of cold but for here it's been nippy --- and our feathered friends have been going through 50 pound bags of seed every 8 days.

Charles

Feb 14, 2014 at 05:00 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

A nice set Wayne. You do have some detail in the blacks, and the pecker is hard to properly expose. It's 2 for me ~ Ron

Feb 14, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

unclechuck wrote:
Wayne

Nice shots. They say 49 states have snow, I'm in Florida --- the one that doesn't ---

Not your kind of cold but for here it's been nippy --- and our feathered friends have been going through 50 pound bags of seed every 8 days.

Charles

Thank you Charles. We are going thru 2-3 pounds of suet per week. A 40# bag of black oily & a 40 of cardinal mix about every two weeks.

Feb 14, 2014 at 07:49 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

surfnron wrote:
A nice set Wayne. You do have some detail in the blacks, and the pecker is hard to properly expose. It's 2 for me ~ Ron

Thanks Ron, I really have trouble with the black feathers, but I really have trouble with exposure.

Feb 14, 2014 at 07:51 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Agape wrote:
Thank you Charles. We are going thru 2-3 pounds of suet per week. A 40# bag of black oily & a 40 of cardinal mix about every two weeks.

Yeah, but we gotta feed the kids, right? Esp when it's cold!

What's funny is watching the squirrels gather under the feeder when a Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker turns up --- they swing a spray of seed with every swipe of that long bill. The bird hardly lands before his fans are gathered underneath for their share of the spoils.

Feb 14, 2014 at 08:48 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Love the first two Wayne.

Ted

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:20 PM
KirkB
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Nice work on these Wayne... #1 is a wonderful head angle catching the warm light and I like your choice of composition a lot.
I think f/8 is a good choice for this subject to keep the SS up and achieve a good DOF... did you intend to shoot the last two at f/20 and f/22 @ 1/80s? Just too much chance of motion blur.
Well done and good luck with the weather.

Kirk

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

These are looking really nice Wayne, you are doing a great job sticking it out through the difficult Winter. For your blacks... 2 & parts of 4 are close to properly exposed, the rest are all under exposed. LR might give you some leeway but it's far better to get it right in the camera. For birds like I would suggest you keep checking the lcd after most shots and expose as brightly as you can without the whites flashing. I think that will produce far better results. I hope it warms up for you

Tim

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:08 AM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Ted ellis wrote:
Love the first two Wayne.

Ted

Thank you Ted

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:37 AM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

KirkB wrote:
Nice work on these Wayne... #1 is a wonderful head angle catching the warm light and I like your choice of composition a lot.
I think f/8 is a good choice for this subject to keep the SS up and achieve a good DOF... did you intend to shoot the last two at f/20 and f/22 @ 1/80s? Just too much chance of motion blur.
Well done and good luck with the weather.
Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I was probably not paying close enough attention when I used the higher f/stops.

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:41 AM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Tim Kuhn wrote:
These are looking really nice Wayne, you are doing a great job sticking it out through the difficult Winter. For your blacks... 2 & parts of 4 are close to properly exposed, the rest are all under exposed. LR might give you some leeway but it's far better to get it right in the camera. For birds like I would suggest you keep checking the lcd after most shots and expose as brightly as you can without the whites flashing. I think that will produce far better results. I hope it warms up for you

Tim

Thanks Tim, I will certainly give that a try.

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:44 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Nice set Wayne. I'd be thrilled to see one in my backyard.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:13 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Nice work. #2 for me as well.

Feb 15, 2014 at 02:19 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

mikedec wrote:
Nice work. #2 for me as well.

Thanks Mike

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:41 PM
Wayne Ek
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

KCollett wrote:
Nice set Wayne. I'd be thrilled to see one in my backyard.

Thank you KCollett.

Feb 15, 2014 at 07:43 PM
aboulenein
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · More Woodpeckers from the back yard

Wonderful sequence. Liked #2 worked best for me.

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:24 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.