FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

JakAHearts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

Does anyone have a go pro and use it for weddings/receptions? I was thinking about adding one for short clips of dancing at receptions, as Ive not had the pleasure of working at a wedding where there was a videographer. I make animoto clips for promotional purposes and I think moving pictures of fun dancing scenes would mix in well. Whatcha think?

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I know guys who use it for video, but for picture? Nah. I have a fisheye for that.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I like the idea, curious to see how well it works with the low light conditions. I have not gotten one yet, but always intrigued by it. My husband does cover the events we do together with full video if they haven't hired out another video co. or if they don't want video, there are some who just don't want video, but I would say most do.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

^ GoPro is absolutely terrible in lowlight. Not good. I dont even bring it along for indoor video gigs, but for outdoor it is great!

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

MattSepeta wrote:
^ GoPro is absolutely terrible in lowlight. Not good. I dont even bring it along for indoor video gigs, but for outdoor it is great!

Good to know, thank you. Maybe Ill rent one for a wedding and see what it looks like.

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:04 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

JakAHearts wrote:
Ive not had the pleasure of working at a wedding where there was a videographer.

They don't like videos by you? Or you haven't shot many?

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:11 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

D. Diggler wrote:
They don't like videos by you? Or you haven't shot many?

Ya know, Im not sure. Ive only shot/second shot 8 weddings but a few of them were quite extravagant. Perhaps video isnt so big in the DC area. Beats me.

Feb 15, 2014 at 08:48 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

They don't like videos by you?

Ive only shot/second shot 8 weddings but a few of them were quite extravagant. ... Beats me.

I don't know if this is true but I've heard that, ironically, the extravagant weddings aren't as inclined to hire video as the more mid-tier.

Feb 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I find the new GoPro3+ Black pretty good in low light. My GP2 is indeed not very good at low light, but the GP3 is certainly a stop or two better imo. Do know that the video gets cleaner the less fps you shoot, because you can get a larger shutterangle. I prefer 24fps for indoors. And 60 for outdoors. Also shoot at the 2.5K option, this greatly reduces noise! (more detail compressing to a smaller resolution is always much much cleaner).
I know people that made films on a gopro that are worthy to be played in the cinema's... Quality was extrordinary.

Edit: changed angle to shutterangle, was a bit unclear, sorry.

Edited on Feb 17, 2014 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:57 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I use a GP3BLK for weddings often. It does get noisy but NEAT video cleans this up well. Its nice because it small and can be put just about anywhere. Not the greatest for photos but I did print an 8x10 during a day light shoot that looked great after some editing.

Feb 17, 2014 at 07:53 AM
bdickers
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

My experience with the GP has been limited to attachment to a drone. GoPro seems to be the current leader in small format video hardware, but there is a huge opportunity for improvement in image quality.

Feb 17, 2014 at 08:56 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

aonavy wrote:
I use a GP3BLK for weddings often. It does get noisy but NEAT video cleans this up well. Its nice because it small and can be put just about anywhere. Not the greatest for photos but I did print an 8x10 during a day light shoot that looked great after some editing.

Awesome, thanks so much! Do you have any video clips online from receptions?

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM
aonavy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

humm... let me see....best I could find is in the link below. 2:00 mark is where the gopro is in use. Hope that helps..

Feb 17, 2014 at 03:57 PM
dustin curley
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I have fillmed a couple photo shoots with my gopros on tripods. It's a nice extra for the client. Timelapses are fun too. I do agree outdoors or well lit only.

Feb 17, 2014 at 04:26 PM
ryansandsphoto

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Adding a gopro to the arsenal

I was thinking this myself..adding a gopro just for fun. I think it could add a little extra to your coverage if done right

Feb 28, 2014 at 07:41 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.