Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · I have joined the big league...

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I have joined the big league...

Larate wrote:
Anyway, photo is really an expensive hobby.

Not really.
Most of my friends are into vintage motorcycles, local club auto racing and/or sailing.
Even if I were to buy a 1Dx and a couple new superteles, I'd still be way behind.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM
arize84
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I have joined the big league...

I know I keep hyping up this lens but I can't help myself. The Tammy 28-75 is $ for glass the best zoom lens out there. Yes the AF is quite dated but if you don't shoot speedy objects, its the perfect light weight lens to match your your light weight 6D. I have also owned the Tammy 24-70VC and I wasn't that impressed with the AF or tracking ability so I don't think it's much of a differentiating factor. Plus the lens is huge compared to the 28-75 or even 6D. If AF tracking is critical for you then stick with Canon lenses. What the new Tamron really gets is the 24mm at the wide end; I discount VC because it only applies to stationary objects and with 6D's ISO performance you will generally find that getting a fast enough shutter speed is not an issue. Here are couple of recent shots with the 28-75, both wide open, see how sharp the man and the flag are. First is shot on a 5D3 and second is on a 6D.

http://bit.ly/1g4J0yK

http://bit.ly/1bvzN5x

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I have joined the big league...

Congrats to you....you won't look back!

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I have joined the big league...

arize84 wrote:
I know I keep hyping up this lens but I can't help myself. The Tammy 28-75 is $ for glass the best zoom lens out there. Yes the AF is quite dated but if you don't shoot speedy objects, its the perfect light weight lens to match your your light weight 6D. I have also owned the Tammy 24-70VC and I wasn't that impressed with the AF or tracking ability so I don't think it's much of a differentiating factor. Plus the lens is huge compared to the 28-75 or even 6D. If AF tracking is critical for you then
...Show more

My copy of the 28-75 was very sharp in the center, even wide open, but not quite sharp on the edges, even stopped down. But still a great buy.
Is your copy sharp beyond the center?

Feb 14, 2014 at 01:05 PM
arize84
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I have joined the big league...

surf monkey wrote:
My copy of the 28-75 was very sharp in the center, even wide open, but not quite sharp on the edges, even stopped down. But still a great buy.
Is your copy sharp beyond the center?

It's hard for me to comment on the corners because I normally don't pay attention to them and generally do some cropping in post. I will look through my archive to see if I can find any good examples.

Feb 14, 2014 at 01:19 PM
rongoe
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I have joined the big league...

I haven't had the tammy 24-70, but from what I read the advantage over the 28-75 wasn't worth the price. For me it's all about opportunity costs -- saving $600 to $700 by going (staying) with the cheaper mid-range tammy frees up $ for a fast prime -- could almost get the Sigma 35 1.4 art with the savings. The 28-75 can be found used for $300. Try it, and if you don't like it sell it for the same.

Feb 14, 2014 at 01:48 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I have joined the big league...

thomashammer78 wrote:
which one would you go with 24-70 or 28-75 if you had about $1200 to spend I really like the idea that the 24-70 has IS but I dont know if thats really needed on a "portrait" lens

If you're just looking for a "portrait" lens, then it's hard to disagree with the 28-75, especially considering budget.

If you shoot landscape as well, then the 24-70 might be a better choice. The VC is a great addition for handheld landscapes. The 24mm wider view is also a big plus. I believe the 24-70 has better stopped down resolution, especially in the corners, but someone with more experience with both lenses would be a better source for this info (I only tried the Tamron 24-70 a couple times when I was deciding on a new normal zoom, and ended up with the new Canon). Maybe someone else will chime in regarding usage stopped down.

Feb 14, 2014 at 01:54 PM
thomashammer78
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I have joined the big league...

It was going to be my people lens at parties,weddings and whatever down the road and probably handheld... its a hard choice between those two Tammy's maybe ill got with the cheaper one and then get the 150-600 as my wildlife lens would be around 1500 for those 2 I guess

Feb 14, 2014 at 02:14 PM
Larate
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I have joined the big league...

surf monkey wrote:
Not really.
Most of my friends are into vintage motorcycles, local club auto racing and/or sailing.
Even if I were to buy a 1Dx and a couple new superteles, I'd still be way behind.

Yes you should be right. But you should have noted that I didn't say "photo is the most expensive hobby". And if we compare photo with knitting, we would say that knitting is a cheap hobby*!
:')

* although it would depend on how many sweaters the knitting enthusiasts fabric!

Feb 15, 2014 at 05:44 PM
Larate
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I have joined the big league...

About the Tammy 28-75, I have it on Nikon mount. It was very good with a D200 (10 Mp if memory serves), but it fails with the D7000 and is worst with the D7100 : its center is not so sharp even when stopped down, and its corners are really soft (wonder if it would not be a f/1 lens!)
Ok, maybe the Nikon version is worse than the Canon one, or my lens was specially designed for low-density sensors! Anyway, the other Nikon lenses I have work at least as well as the Tammy on the D200, and their IQ increase a lot with my other Nikon bodies (meaning I can exclude a fault from the cameras).
Finally, about the AF of this lens... Hmm, how can I say that... Well, if you're lost in a forest, instead of shouting for help, use the AF of this Tammy lens. It would be more efficient. :')

I'm seriously thinking in buying a new transtandard lens for my Canon bodies (I have the 24-105 but I don't like it very much on FF, although it was a joy on APS-C). My last candidates are the new Tamron 24-70 (for its image stabilization) and the Canon 24-70/2.8 (for its IQ).

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:10 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I have joined the big league...

FIrst FF is a big step forward! Congratulations!

As for your lens predicament, why not buy a 50/1.4 for now and then get a great lens later down the road instead of a mediocre lens now.

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:35 PM
RyanDuggar
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · I have joined the big league...

Congrats on the full frame 6d

I'm a big fan of the tammy 28-75. In dark wedding receptions it was not the quickest to focus. Otherwise it is a steal of a zoom lens. I went from the Canon 24-70 to the Tamron at first because of the weight difference. Never thought twice about going back, at least for my purposes which was primarily weddings.

Feb 16, 2014 at 03:38 PM
mspencer1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · I have joined the big league...

Congrats and enjoy your 6D!

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:29 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · I have joined the big league...

Congrats and enjoy

Feb 16, 2014 at 09:28 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · I have joined the big league...

thomashammer78 wrote:
I declined the Lens package because I didnt like the F/4 on that lens.. I was pondering that for a long while if it was worth the $400 more for the kit and I decided I would rather put that towards another lens after the fact.

but yeah I need a prime and a zoom lens added to my kit besides the 70-200L II that I have

You should have spent the extra $400 for the kit. The 24-105 is a very good general-use zoom. I have it paired with 35/2 IS and 85/1.8 primes. ALL THREE are outstanding for their intended use.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM
asiafish
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · I have joined the big league...

rongoe wrote:
I haven't had the tammy 24-70, but from what I read the advantage over the 28-75 wasn't worth the price. For me it's all about opportunity costs -- saving $600 to $700 by going (staying) with the cheaper mid-range tammy frees up $ for a fast prime -- could almost get the Sigma 35 1.4 art with the savings. The 28-75 can be found used for $300. Try it, and if you don't like it sell it for the same.

Can get the 35/2 IS for the savings. Sigma 35/1.4 ART is also extremely well-rated, but the IS is worth (to me) more than extra stop.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:07 PM
BcuzofHisLuv

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · I have joined the big league...

Congrats on your FF. Welcome to the FF world

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.