FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

jeinovaa

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

I'm currently using a bunch of speedlights but now I'm looking for more power. The idea of lugging a bunch of studio lights doesn't interest me. I came across this http://www.amazon.com/Godox-Witstro-External-Portable-Speedlite/dp/B00F19OBA0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_4

Basicly a hot shoe flash with enough power for outdoors. Has anyone tried these?

Feb 14, 2014 at 03:45 AM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

I currently own the Cheetah 180 and 360 (basically the same flash), and I can tell you that the quality is great. I love the radio triggers on these, and the battery seems to go forever.

Ed, from Cheetah often has "deal of the day", and it might be worth taking a look at his site.

https://www.cheetahstand.com/A-New-Bare-Bulb-Flash-Arrives-p/cl-360combo.htm

Feb 14, 2014 at 08:42 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

looks interesting, it has no reviews yet though

Todd, which light do you find you get the more use out of, the 180 or the 360? have you been doing any overpowering of the sun with these?

I too am interested in lightening the load going forward and I love to have good light

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

Knowing what I've experienced with the ABR800 and B1600 on a bright sunny day, I definitely think you need at least 640ws of power to keep up with/beat the sun in a meaningful way without having your lights only about 3-4 feet from the subject. At about 7-8 feet the ABR800 didn't keep up at all with the sun at max power.

I think it would take 2-4 of the CL360s to do that.

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:35 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

I have four of the Cheetah lights, 3-160's and 1-360. Absolutely love them! I haven't touched my mono lights since I bought these. I can shoot two or more weddings on one battery charge plus the recycle time is nearly the same as my mono lights. But the best part of these lights is the ability to change power settings on each light from the camera.

One of the other nice features is that you can shoot HSS with them using the Cells II (or Cells IIc for 5D III users) transmitter sold separately. I've tested them up to 1/8000 sec.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

Given the bare bulb design, they are not always efficient.

The AD-180 uses 2x the power of a normal speedlight, but IMO is not 1 stop brighter with the normal reflector. Beating sun with these can be done, but it requires either HSS, a HSS "hack", a leaf shutter like in the x100 or rx1, or a very efficient light modifier.

Feb 14, 2014 at 01:14 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

re: the above post. One of the reasons I like these lights is because of the bare bulb design. It offers more choices for modifying the light.

Feb 14, 2014 at 04:40 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

jcolman wrote:
re: the above post. One of the reasons I like these lights is because of the bare bulb design. It offers more choices for modifying the light.

That is the ONLY reason I own them.

Feb 14, 2014 at 08:09 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

SloPhoto wrote:
That is the ONLY reason I own them.

Really? To me, these lights are nearly the perfect choice for weddings due to many other factors.

Feb 14, 2014 at 09:09 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

jcolman wrote:
Really? To me, these lights are nearly the perfect choice for weddings due to many other factors.

The godox ving v850s have an internal lithium battery with great life. Recycle time is fabulous, less reliability issues from cables/connections, and they use the same trigger system. They mix really well with their big brothers and are much less of a pain. If it were not for the beautiful light from bare bulb flashes, these would be my only flashes.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:02 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

Like Jim Colman, my Einstein's see very little action since getting the Cheetah's. The AD-360 and AD-180, by the way, can also achieve HSS functionality with Nikon gear when they're triggered with FlexTT5's. Like other lights, HSS results in a precipitous decline in light output. The only drawback, IMO, is that the AD-180's and AD-360's are somewhat expensive relative to monolights.

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:16 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

Has anyone made the switch from all 600EX-RTs to Cheetah?

I am debating if I should go through the trouble of seeing if it will work for me...
1 CL-360 (already have, along with Cells-IIc transmitter)
1 CL-180
2-3 GD360s

I really like not having to worry about additional units for transmitting and receiving. The biggest detractor for me with an all Cheetah light system is that since the GD360s do not have built in transceivers like the 600EX-RTs, I'd have to figure out a way to trigger the lights with a flash on camera.

Feb 15, 2014 at 09:43 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

joosay wrote:
Has anyone made the switch from all 600EX-RTs to Cheetah?

I am debating if I should go through the trouble of seeing if it will work for me...
1 CL-360 (already have, along with Cells-IIc transmitter)
1 CL-180
2-3 GD360s

I really like not having to worry about additional units for transmitting and receiving. The biggest detractor for me with an all Cheetah light system is that since the GD360s do not have built in transceivers like the 600EX-RTs, I'd have to figure out a way to trigger the lights with a flash on camera.

I did. After I bought my Cheetah lights, I sold all of my 600EX-RT's.

You can trigger Cheetah lights from just the flash on your camera, much like Canon's IR system. Simply set your CL to S2 mode where it will ignore the pre-flash from your on-camera light. Or you can trigger the CL lights with pocket wizards, which is what I do when I want to use on-camera and off-camera flash together. My 580EX lights have a sync port in the shoe where I can plug in a pocket wizard which will fire the CL.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:21 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

So you use 580EXs with the CLs?

I've never used IR triggering for a wedding before and, frankly, it makes me nervous because RT triggers are what I'm used to. Thankfully I still have my Flex/Mini units so I'll give this a try because the GD360s are so inexpensive when compared to the 600EXs.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:33 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

joosay wrote:
So you use 580EXs with the CLs?

I've never used IR triggering for a wedding before and, frankly, it makes me nervous because RT triggers are what I'm used to. Thankfully I still have my Flex/Mini units so I'll give this a try because the GD360s are so inexpensive when compared to the 600EXs.

The only time I use my 580EX with the Cheetah lights is during the exit shots where I'm walking backwards with the B&G and want some on-camera light along with my off-camera lights. The rest of the time I use off camera lights only.

example:

I'm not a big fan of IR triggering either as it's not as reliable as radio triggers.

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Damianshaw

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

I have two of the Cheetah CL-360s and I really like them. They're still fairly new to me so I haven't rum them hard yet. What I've seen so far has been impressive though. I was worried for the price that the quality would be questionable but I find they're very well built.

Mar 16, 2014 at 07:09 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

I still can't find any details on t1 times, I have my suspicions about a cheap flash of this size pushing 360ws.

Mar 17, 2014 at 02:28 PM
timd1230
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

If you are looking for a supplier in the EU they are sold in the UK under the Lencarta brand http://www.lencarta.com/studio-lighting-shopfront/atom-barebulb-portable-flash

I have the 360 and use it with the alternate spigot foot for use on a stand or a light pole

Mar 17, 2014 at 06:55 PM
jeinovaa

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

For some reason Godox is reasonably cheap in Finland. 395€ for the AD-360 power kit.
Any recommendations for a fairly large softbox and what kind of adapter I need for softboxes made for studio lights?

Mar 18, 2014 at 04:06 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · High power hot shoe flash - Godox AD360

jcolman wrote:
One of the other nice features is that you can shoot HSS with them using the Cells II (or Cells IIc for 5D III users) transmitter sold separately. I've tested them up to 1/8000 sec.

I thought it was written in the manual this will not work? If I can HSS with that trigger and these lights, I'm quite interested.

Mar 18, 2014 at 09:29 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.