Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       6       7       end

Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Karl Witt wrote:
Oh my I just read Artie's tutorial and then his summation"
Which is best, shutter button focus or rear focus? Thatís an easy one: whichever works best for you.

What do you mean? How could he say that when all the experts here are telling me the back button is best for me

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:44 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

cameron12x wrote:
Here are some images of the moon that I recently shot with the Tamron and my 70D crop body.

It must have been flying across the viewfinder!

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:46 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Imagemaster wrote:
What do you mean? How could he say that when all the experts here are telling me the back button is best for me

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:59 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Tony,

You might just have to post some of your BIF work so that we can see the difference between how pros like Artie do it and how amateurs like you do it

Feb 18, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Jeff Donald wrote:
I guess you've never met Arthur Morris or not many bird photographers ever make their way to your remote outpost in Canada. Here is Artie's tutorial on back button focus and why most(?) serious bird photographers use it.

Although I have used back button focus since it was available in a 1 series camera Artie only started using this method a few years ago. Prior to that he used the shutter button without problems and probably would still be using it if he hadn't been convinced it was better the other way. I really don't see any difference in his work since he went to the back button.

I prefer it for the ability to focus or expose in a different area prior to taking a shot but the shutter button method is still easier for me with BIF.

Jim

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Jim Victory wrote:
I prefer it for the ability to focus or expose in a different area prior to taking a shot...

That's exactly why I use back-button AF, it separates setting the point of focus from setting exposure and making the image capture.

Jim Victory wrote:
... but the shutter button method is still easier for me with BIF.

I agree that having AF on the shutter button is probably easier for BIF (it all comes together, at the same time), but I still use back-button AF for BIF, because it reduces the number of variables that I have to deal with, while shooting.

KISS. The last "S" is for me.

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:59 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Jim Victory wrote:
Although I have used back button focus since it was available in a 1 series camera Artie only started using this method a few years ago. Prior to that he used the shutter button without problems and probably would still be using it if he hadn't been convinced it was better the other way. I really don't see any difference in his work since he went to the back button.
Jim

Blasphemy!

Feb 18, 2014 at 03:46 AM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

I do believe the inconsistant and somewhat lower marks with the 100-400. I've used it with my 1DMKII for over a year now, and when its on its great, but If the light is the least bit inconsistant, the results are disappointing at best.
Its usaully good with static objects, but with that lousy light, even those sometimes are inconsistant. Its with BIF that the problems usually arise, and I've shot with all sorts of different settings including AI servo as well as single shot at shutter speeds usually around 1/1600 - 1/2000.
Yes I have seen some great shots with this lens even with BIF, but it seems much better suited to perfect light and or airshows and car races, which it excels at.
This is just my lens and camera combo, and it also could be the extremely colder conditions were having too having certain results.
This Tamron lens really seems to be great, and at a great price as well.

Feb 18, 2014 at 02:31 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Has anyone printed a shot from the 7D and a FF ? Is there a difference on an 8.5 X 11 shot on an all-in-one ?
It is probably me , but when I crop a shot from FF [ 5 D II ] and compare to the 7 D , I end up with a lot better shot from 7 D .
The shots are not judged by pro's - just the wife and relatives / friends . Would you make me one those this one ?
They are candid shots of seldom seen people .

Feb 18, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Firefighterjos
• •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Tamron 150-600 60D, F/8 1/250sec ISO/500 600mm

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nctemper
• •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Arthur Morris is NOT a BIF photographer. Last week I saw him with his 800 lens on a tripod taking head shots of static birds only while around was plenty of opportunity for BIF. I have seen him around many times never once pointing his lens up!!!!

Feb 18, 2014 at 06:59 PM
AvianScott
• •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

I'm managing some fairly good results - good enough that to my eye I'm having difficult seeing the difference between my 100-400 @ 400mm f/5.6 and the Tamron at 600mm f/8. Here's are two handheld shots at 500mm f/8 1/1250, and 600mm f/8 1/2000 (in that order) on my 6D. I 100% believe the DxO scores being significantly lower on the 7D with the 100-400 and 150-600, both are significantly sharper on my 6D vs my 7D.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

johnctharp wrote:
Here's a quick progression showing the Tamron 150-600 on the 70D, 7D, and 700D- note how they each net different resolution scores.

Just for reference a 600 II scores 14MP on the 70D, vs 8Mp for the Tamron.

Feb 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Pixel Perfect wrote:

One would hope!

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:05 AM
rockant
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Imagemaster wrote:
And why should you have to use the back button focus just for this lens and no other lenses? Besides, most people do not use the back button focus, not that it is relevant.

I did not suggest anyone should do anything a certain way. I asked about testing, and it is relevant in determining where the problem lies.

Feb 19, 2014 at 03:20 AM
rockant
• •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

mitesh wrote:
Tony,

You might just have to post some of your BIF work so that we can see the difference between how pros like Artie do it and how amateurs like you do it

I never claimed to be an expert at any type of photography, but I do know technology. My question was about how people had tested. No statement about how people should normally shoot, which is not how you test. Good testing normally involves do both the normal and the unusual to reach all the equipment's limits.

Feb 19, 2014 at 03:30 AM
mitesh
• • • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

rockant wrote:
I never claimed to be an expert at any type of photography, but I do know technology. My question was about how people had tested. No statement about how people should normally shoot, which is not how you test. Good testing normally involves do both the normal and the unusual to reach all the equipment's limits.

My post was directed at Tony Markle- "Imagemaster".

Feb 19, 2014 at 03:41 AM
alundeb
• • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Pixel Perfect wrote:

Not that I find the "MP" scores very useful, but I think that value for the Tamron is acheived at a shorter focal length where the lens is sharp.
At 600 mm and optimal aperture, the Tamron is still noticeably softer than the reference lens at f/11.

Feb 19, 2014 at 08:12 AM
cameron12x
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

alundeb wrote:
Not that I find the "MP" scores very useful, but I think that value for the Tamron is acheived at a shorter focal length where the lens is sharp.
At 600 mm and optimal aperture, the Tamron is still noticeably softer than the reference lens at f/11.

What was the reference lens?

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:15 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Agreed, he readily admits that he rarely dabbles in BIF.

nctemper wrote:
Arthur Morris is NOT a BIF photographer. Last week I saw him with his 800 lens on a tripod taking head shots of static birds only while around was plenty of opportunity for BIF. I have seen him around many times never once pointing his lens up!!!!

Feb 19, 2014 at 01:19 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password