Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

pKai
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Imagemaster wrote:
Either that, or you both own Rebels.

Some people seem to think that their way is the best and only way for everyone else.

I believe I said "I do not know any......." -- I don't know either of you......

I also never said "my way is the best" - this is not "my" way --- I certainly did not invent it and convince Canon to implement it. I adopted it from others that know more than me and taught me a better way.

Imagemaster: I will say this... if ALL you are doing during an entire shoot is what you described: "spot flying bid, put camera to face, mash down shutter button and hold it until..." then yes, shutter button focus is best and what you describe as "my" way just adds an extra button. If. OTOH, your subjects are more varied than that within the same shoot, which I suspect is the case much of the time -- birds do land where you shoot, right?, then IMHO -- stress "IMHO" -- back-button focus is the most flexible way.

All that said.. all these button are programmable for a reason and I agree with the reason.

Feb 17, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

pKai wrote:
I believe I said "I do not know any......." -- I don't know either of you......

I also never said "my way is the best" - this is not "my" way --- I certainly did not invent it and convince Canon to implement it. I adopted it from others that know more than me and taught me a better way.

Who said you did

Imagemaster: I will say this... if ALL you are doing during an entire shoot is what you described: "spot flying bid, put camera to face, mash down shutter button and hold it until..." then yes, shutter button focus is best and what you describe as "my" way just adds an extra button. If. OTOH, your subjects are more varied than that within the same shoot, which I suspect is the case much of the time -- birds do land where you shoot, right?, then IMHO -- stress "IMHO" -- back-button focus is the most flexible way.

If the bird does land, it is no big deal changing to One Shot.

All that said.. all these button are programmable for a reason and I agree with the reason.

There are many features that are programmable for different reasons and that is because photographers all have different reasons for using certain settings.

The best way to do something depends on each individual. What is best for you is not necessarily best for me.

Feb 17, 2014 at 09:47 PM
dsr1
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

I'm not the best photographer by far as anyone can tell by looking at my site but when I got my 7D I tried several set-ups, I found an article by Doug Brown http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/2009/12/setting-up-your-new-canon-7d/

that made a lot of since to me. I set my 7D up exactly as he did on back button focusing and it's worked better for me than anything else I've tried. Everyone here may have seen this and if so, sorry for waisting your time. You'll never see a lot if any BIF's on my site because of health problems that are of no concern. If you haven't seen this and are interested I recommend Doughs method highly.

What ever method makes you the most comfortable while shooting is how you should do it. Just have fun and do the best you can.

Feb 17, 2014 at 09:49 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Back Focus programmed on all my bodies. People hate it when they pick up one of my cameras, they can not figure out why they won't focus! I use shutter button only for exposure. In most pictures of me, taken with my cameras, I am almost always out of focus! Perhaps there's a drug for that?

People (photographers) should do what they are most comfortable with. But those that have not tried the back focus approach should try it for a week. Not trying something different and then criticizing it is confusing to me. Just like criticizing others who don't adopt our approaches, regardless of whether "we" think they are superior.

Feb 17, 2014 at 09:58 PM
pKai
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

kzoockof wrote:
Perhaps there's a drug for that?

There is! Its called "C3" -- I have this programmed for "auto-everything" including shutter-button focus. Whenever I hand my camera to someone else to take my picture, I flip the dial to "C3".....

kzoockof wrote:
But those that have not tried the back focus approach should try it for a week. Not trying something different and then criticizing it is confusing to me. Just like criticizing others who don't adopt our approaches, regardless of whether "we" think they are superior.

+1000

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

The effective resolution on FF is much better, 17MP for 5D III vs 6MP for 7D. Doesn't look like a good choice for 7D even if it could track properly.

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:23 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

I've seen and read ads which posited "optimized for crop sensor bodies."

Is there such a thing as "optimized for full-frame bodies?"

I'm not sure I understand. Wouldn't sharpness across the entire image circle also imply good crop body performance?

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM
cameron12x
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Here are some images of the moon that I recently shot with the Tamron and my 70D crop body. The last two are 100% full-image crops of the original image:

Canon EOS 70D    TAMRON SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD A011 lens    600mm    f/8.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:37 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

I can see their reasoning behind reviewing the lens on the 7D, but the 70D pushes their resolution score to 8MP- that's a 33% boost.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Imagemaster wrote:
Whatever. I don't recall meeting any bird photographer that uses the back button. To each his own.

Regardless, back button or shutter button, makes no difference to AI Servo AF.

I guess you've never met Arthur Morris or not many bird photographers ever make their way to your remote outpost in Canada. Here is Artie's tutorial on back button focus and why most(?) serious bird photographers use it.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cameron12x
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

johnctharp wrote:
I can see their reasoning behind reviewing the lens on the 7D, but the 70D pushes their resolution score to 8MP- that's a 33% boost.

Help me understand. Going from 18mp to 20mp is only a pixel density increase of ~11%.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

cameron12x wrote:
Help me understand. Going from 18mp to 20mp is only a pixel density increase of ~11%.

Five years worth of advancements in sensor design, AA filter design, and processing of sensor output? It's not the number on the box, it's the quality of the files .

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM
pKai
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

After reading the DxO test, I did some tests myself and came to the same conclusion.... not only that, I also learned that the difference between wide-open and the optimal F11-14 on a 7D (and presumably any crop) is much greater than on a 5D2 (and presumably any FF)....

See my other post for pics: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1274502

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM
cameron12x
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

johnctharp wrote:
Five years worth of advancements in sensor design, AA filter design, and processing of sensor output? It's not the number on the box, it's the quality of the files .

Agreed. So, that 8mp number came from an actual 70D DxOmark test result?

The JPEG engine output from the 70D is subjectively FAR superior to what I experienced with the 7D.

Edited on Feb 18, 2014 at 12:28 AM · View previous versions

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

cameron12x wrote:

In terms of resolution, the difference between 7D and 70D is about 5%; 232 ppmm vs. 243 ppmm.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Oh my I just read Artie's tutorial and then his summation"
Which is best, shutter button focus or rear focus? Thatís an easy one: whichever works best for you.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:30 AM
cameron12x
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Jeff Donald wrote:
I guess you've never met Arthur Morris or not many bird photographers ever make their way to your remote outpost in Canada. Here is Artie's tutorial on back button focus and why most(?) serious bird photographers use it.

Arthur Morris is one of the very best bird photographers in the entire North American continent.

But I was already using back button focusing long before I actually met him in person a few years ago.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

cameron12x wrote:
Agreed. So, that 8mp number came from an actual 70D DxOmark test result?

The JPEG engine output from the 70D is subjectively FAR superior to what I experienced with the 7D.

The JPEG engine is better for sure- but overall, the files seem to be better as well, beyond what the resolution increase would suggest. Note that the same trend can be seen across all testing with the 7D (and 60D/T2i/T3i) versus bodies with the newer 18MP sensors and the 70D with the 20MP sensor.

If you consider better tuned AA filters, better sensor readout circuitry, and better processing of sensor data before it's recorded to RAW, getting higher realized resolution makes sense- and it's the only way to really measure the effects of those improvements.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:33 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Here's a quick progression showing the Tamron 150-600 on the 70D, 7D, and 700D- note how they each net different resolution scores.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!

Jeff Donald wrote:
Here is Artie's tutorial on back button focus and why most(?) serious bird photographers use it.

Yeah, great tutorial, and it does not even show a BIF.

Feb 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password