Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
  

Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!
  
 
rockant
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Has anyone tested AI Servo using back button focus? It would seem that if it still has the issue it is most likely the lens, but if it works better the issue might very well be the camera.



Feb 16, 2014 at 01:38 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


rockant wrote:
Has anyone tested AI Servo using back button focus? It would seem that if it still has the issue it is most likely the lens, but if it works better the issue might very well be the camera.


And why should you have to use the back button focus just for this lens and no other lenses? Besides, most people do not use the back button focus, not that it is relevant.



Feb 16, 2014 at 02:27 AM
Wildthing
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Imagemaster wrote:
And why should you have to use the back button focus just for this lens and no other lenses? Besides, most people do not use the back button focus, not that it is relevant.



Can't say as I agree with this one statement as pretty much 90+% of all avian photographers I know, and shoot with, DO use back button focus. Just so many advantages to this for me and so many others that use it. I will not argue about with anyone, but Google is your friend.



Feb 16, 2014 at 05:10 PM
EB-1
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


I can't image not using the back button focus. However, one should not have to keep stabbing at the button because a crappy lens stops focusing.

EBH



Feb 16, 2014 at 05:22 PM
Jefferson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


... Back button focus 99.9% of the time

... not that it matters to the subject in this context ...

Jefferson



Feb 16, 2014 at 05:27 PM
Wildthing
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


EB-1 wrote:
I can't image not using the back button focus. However, one should not have to keep stabbing at the button because a crappy lens stops focusing.

EBH


No, I hope I was not sounding like defending the poor performance of a lens. Was only referring to the part of not many using the technique. Sorry for any confusion.



Feb 16, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Wildthing wrote:
Can't say as I agree with this one statement as pretty much 90+% of all avian photographers I know, and shoot with, DO use back button focus. Just so many advantages to this for me and so many others that use it. I will not argue about with anyone, but Google is your friend.


Whatever. I don't recall meeting any bird photographer that uses the back button. To each his own.

Regardless, back button or shutter button, makes no difference to AI Servo AF.



Feb 16, 2014 at 07:13 PM
bergenor
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Thats handheld……Lots of sharpening….7D…..








Feb 16, 2014 at 07:30 PM
sdfreeland
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


I just got mine a few days ago. From the initial testing on a 5D3, sometimes the AI-Servo at 600mm lags a bit. I use back button focusing and tried group and single point AF. The biggest lag for me appears going from focusing far away and then focusing on objects that are closer. Sometimes I have to pump to get it to try to initialize focus when focusing from far objects to close objects. It seems like it is trying to do micro focusing even if the entire scene is out of focus.

For the $1000 price tag the focusing works for what I expect it to be. I think people are expecting way too much on the focusing side from this thing for the price. The focusing reminds me of my old Minolta 500mm f8 reflex. It's slightly to somewhat worse than what I experienced from a 100-400mm with a 1.4x.



Feb 16, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


sdfreeland wrote:
For the $1000 price tag the focusing works for what I expect it to be. I think people are expecting way too much on the focusing side from this thing for the price.


For some people, it won't even change focus. I would pay $500 more for the same lens if it focused properly when it should.



Feb 16, 2014 at 09:24 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



sdfreeland
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


I was really pushing the VC going 1/125, but this one came out ok. Shot on a tripod about 8 feet away. The nest was basically the size of a golfball in very very heavy shade. Applied 44 noise reduction



Feb 16, 2014 at 09:29 PM
cameron12x
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Excellent shot. How did you trigger the shutter without attracting attention?


Feb 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM
sdfreeland
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


I spent about 40 minutes inching closer and closer. Started from about 30 feet away.


Feb 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM
cameron12x
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


sdfreeland wrote:
I spent about 40 minutes inching closer and closer. Started from about 30 feet away.


Good job. At your closest approach you were VERY close to the minimum focusing distance (~8.8 feet) for the lens.



Feb 17, 2014 at 12:14 AM
plover
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Imagemaster wrote:
Whatever. I don't recall meeting any bird photographer that uses the back button. To each his own.

Regardless, back button or shutter button, makes no difference to AI Servo AF.

I would say of the GOOD bird photographers I know at least 90% uses back button focusing, mind you most poor to average bird shooters do not use back button focusing I will admit.



Feb 17, 2014 at 02:01 PM
pKai
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


Imagemaster wrote:
Whatever. I don't recall meeting any bird photographer that uses the back button. To each his own.

Regardless, back button or shutter button, makes no difference to AI Servo AF.


plover wrote:
I would say of the GOOD bird photographers I know at least 90% uses back button focusing, mind you most poor to average bird shooters do not use back button focusing I will admit.


With all due respect, Imagemaster --- Regardless whether the subject is birds, football players, or bridezillas, I do not know a SINGLE serious (pro or amateur) Canon-using photographer that DOES NOT use the back focus button.

OTOH, EVERY Canon shooter that purchased his or her first Rebel last week, uses the shutter button....... most of them switch when someone shows them the back button and explains the advantages.....

...Said advantages are too great to deny.... Having the equivalent functionality of AI Servo and One Shot at the same time and without having to change a setting PLUS the ability to focus and recompose while holding exposure for those that do not possess two thumbs on the same hand.... who would not want that....

Just my .02....



Feb 17, 2014 at 03:26 PM
cameron12x
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


You can add my name to the list of those who exclusively re-programs focusing to a rear button upon immediate purchase of any DSLR.

We could start an entire thread and devote it to the advantages of rear button focusing.



Feb 17, 2014 at 03:48 PM
paulfeng
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


pKai wrote:
With all due respect, Imagemaster --- Regardless whether the subject is birds, football players, or bridezillas, I do not know a SINGLE serious (pro or amateur) Canon-using photographer that DOES NOT use the back focus button.

OTOH, EVERY Canon shooter that purchased his or her first Rebel last week, uses the shutter button....... most of them switch when someone shows them the back button and explains the advantages.....

...Said advantages are too great to deny.... Having the equivalent functionality of AI Servo and One Shot at the same time and without having to change a setting PLUS the ability to
...Show more

(italics added)

I guess neither Stan Jirman nor I are serious photographers.



Feb 17, 2014 at 05:37 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


pKai wrote:
Having the equivalent functionality of AI Servo and One Shot at the same time and without having to change a setting PLUS the ability to focus and recompose while holding exposure for those that do not possess two thumbs on the same hand.... who would not want that....

Just my .02....



Hmmmm, I already have my camera in AI Servo mode, spot the flying bird, raise my camera and get the bird in my viewfinder, push the shutter button halfway and lock focus on the bird, then hold the shutter button down.

Explain how adding another button and finger into that equation makes it any more efficient FOR MY SHOOTING STYLE.

I don't seem to see many BIF shots on your website.



Feb 17, 2014 at 08:47 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Tamron 150-600mm gets DxOmarked!


paulfeng wrote:
(italics added)

I guess neither Stan Jirman nor I are serious photographers.


Either that, or you both own Rebels.

Some people seem to think that their way is the best and only way for everyone else.



Feb 17, 2014 at 08:49 PM
1      
2
       3              6       7       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              6       7       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password