New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Epson 3880: very slooow print via Ethernet

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3880: very slooow print via Ethernet

I recognize this may be more of a network issue than printing, but… I have the 3880 connected via Ethernet along with 2 other printers. The other two (Xerox color laser and HP MFP) work fine. Periodically - when attempting to print to the Epson - it goes into a print one line at a time then pause, repeat, repeat … A 4x6 can actually take 5+ minutes to print and is horrible. The print monitor window shows the file spooling at a very slow pace. (Barely crawling as opposed to zipping thru normally.) Thus far this has been erratic and rebooting machine and printer has restored it to normal. Now, no joy.

I've rebooted the Ethernet switch with latest drivers, replaced the cable, examined the connection carefully on both ends, studied the printer's web page looking for anything odd under the TCP/IP tab. I'm not a master of TCP/IP but know it to be fairly stable. I've deleted the driver and reinstalled. (Latest version - no change.) I've tried a small JPEG to a 4x6. I've attempted it from Lr, Preview, and Ps with essentially the same results. Finally I found a long USB cable, swapped it for the Ethernet and bam - prints fine.

So I'm more than a bit mystified. In general Ethernet prints much faster than USB and I like being able to control my devices via the network controls.

Anybody experience this or have a great idea?

Thanks,

Robert

(Oh, OS X 10.8.5, Lr 5.3, Ps CS6) No other Ethernet devices are complaining.)

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:16 PM
mmai

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3880: very slooow print via Ethernet

Try switching your 3880 to a known working port on the Ethernet switch -- one that is used by the Xerox or HP would be a good choice.

Or you could try a different switch.

Also, a simple test you can try to verify the connectivity is to ping the IP address of your 3880 from your computer -- observe the time and dropouts.

The time should be less than 1ms if both the 3880 and your computer are on the same switch and subnet and there should be no dropouts.

Here is the command if you are use a Windows box and this will continuously ping until you press CTRL-C to stop it:
ping -t [insert IP address of your 3880)

example: ping -t 192.168.0.3

And here is the command if you a Mac and it will continuously ping until you stop it:
ping [insert IP address of your 3880)

Hope that helps.

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:34 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3880: very slooow print via Ethernet

check that the printer's IP address is unique and not possibly shared by another device on the network. You *really* want to give it a 'static' address.

Also, on the Mac (and maybe somewhere on the 3880 (I forget offhand), you may want to play w/ the Duplex setting. Sometimes, some machines have a hard time figuring that stuff out when Duplex/Speed is set to 'Auto'. In general, go 100M/Full or 1000M/Full (although I think the 3880 only has a 10/100 interface). Depending on how fancy a switch you have, turn OFF 'Jumbo frames'.

And doublecheck the cable you're using (swap it w/ another correctly working device)

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.