New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · A D2300 !?

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A D2300 !?

Nikon Rumors posted a rumor about a D2300 which is supposed to be an F-mount DSLR that is even more compact that the D3300 and will not have an optical viewfinder, which in my mind implies a mirrorless body.

http://nikonrumors.com/

While I have not listed a "mirrorless DSLR" as one of the missing bodies (i.e. D4x, D800h, D400), there is not doubt that this would be one smart move by Nikon, especially if the price is at or below the price of the D3300. This would be a blow to the entire mirrorless market and would be the first mirrorless camera with a full set of lenses instantly (i.e. all the F-mount lenses).

Honestly, I hope Nikon does this ... this is an example of an innovation that moves the market.

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:38 PM
euua
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A D2300 !?

now that would be super interesting item to see.

Personally I would benefit from this kind of set up for my mountain biking trips - light, simple, and dont need to spend extra for lenses

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:53 PM
lara_ckl
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A D2300 !?

Can't see any scenario where Nikon will price a competitive mirrorless camera for less than a D3300.

But on the bright side, the numbers (D7200, D5300, D3300, D2300) is getting closer to the D400.

Feb 12, 2014 at 05:02 PM
itsky

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A D2300 !?

This would be cool. I just got a D3200 and it's tiny, I don't want any smaller than that.

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:09 PM
thedruid
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A D2300 !?

Got a Canon SL1 before Xmas it's even smaller... really cool with 40mm STM pancake

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:07 PM
GOVA
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A D2300 !?

Didn't you "promise" D400 like 4 monts ago, for sure of course?

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:37 PM
pdxflint
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A D2300 !?

won't be a dslr if it's mirrorless.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A D2300 !?

GOVA wrote:
Didn't you "promise" D400 like 4 monts ago, for sure of course?

I'm just relaying what NR is reporting

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A D2300 !?

pdxflint wrote:
won't be a dslr if it's mirrorless.

Technically you are correct ... but hopefully it would be F-mount and have a DSLR layout.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:09 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A D2300 !?

Maybe they'll put an iPhone-sized sensor in it and pitch it as the new 1-series.

Feb 13, 2014 at 03:05 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A D2300 !?

Unless it's really cheap I fail to see the point.

Feb 13, 2014 at 04:45 AM
2of9
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A D2300 !?

thedruid wrote:
Got a Canon SL1 before Xmas it's even smaller... really cool with 40mm STM pancake

Our local best buy had this on for show and I thought it was one of those Canon point and shoots. It really is small.

I can definitely see the D2300 being used for immediate small trips. If it's as small as Canon's SL1, it will be pretty nifty to use. Now, Nikon just has to make a pancakes AF-S or G lens now.

Feb 13, 2014 at 09:22 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A D2300 !?

Rumor has it, Nikon will continue to make camera's....... whoa! There must be a glitch in the matrix.

Feb 13, 2014 at 09:26 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A D2300 !?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Nikon Rumors posted a rumor about a D2300 which is supposed to be an F-mount DSLR that is even more compact that the D3300 and will not have an optical viewfinder, which in my mind implies a mirrorless body.

http://nikonrumors.com/

While I have not listed a "mirrorless DSLR" as one of the missing bodies (i.e. D4x, D800h, D400), there is not doubt that this would be one smart move by Nikon, especially if the price is at or below the price of the D3300. This would be a blow to the entire mirrorless market and would be the first mirrorless camera
...Show more

This would be way cool as it would undoubtedly be able to AF with AFS lenses while using an EVF - this would be a step in the right direction for Nikon. I personally am tired of the poor AF accuracy of my DSLR body + lenses and would welcome on-chip phase detect.

Though I'm hopeful of this rumor, I suspect this is just inaccurate information at an early state of a rumor and the D2300 really is a DSLR, but just a lot more basic model than the D3XXX series.

I would welcome an FX digital body, even if it kept the same flange-to-sensor distance just to get rid of the OVF, mirror, AF sub mirror, etc and replace that with on-chip PDAF/CDAF which will be much more accurate, especially with magnified views in the EVF. I suspect that Nikon is waiting to go mirrorless with DX or FX until it can make sure all those AFS lenses will work fine with the required new chip-based AF system AND the new chip-based AF sensors and constant live view don't screw up the image quality.

John

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A D2300 !?

jhinkey wrote:
This would be way cool as it would undoubtedly be able to AF with AFS lenses while using an EVF - this would be a step in the right direction for Nikon. I personally am tired of the poor AF accuracy of my DSLR body + lenses and would welcome on-chip phase detect.

Though I'm hopeful of this rumor, I suspect this is just inaccurate information at an early state of a rumor and the D2300 really is a DSLR, but just a lot more basic model than the D3XXX series.

I would welcome an FX digital body, even if it kept
...Show more

I too am hopeful for this rumor, but, I don't see the point of a D2300 if it has a mirror ... besides, for cost reasons, mirrorless would make more sense. If Nikon does make a mirrorless F-mount camera, I suspect they will try it with DX first.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A D2300 !?

Andre Labonte wrote:
I too am hopeful for this rumor, but, I don't see the point of a D2300 if it has a mirror ... besides, for cost reasons, mirrorless would make more sense. If Nikon does make a mirrorless F-mount camera, I suspect they will try it with DX first.

+1 Andre.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A D2300 !?

I keep hearing that optical viewfinders will go the way of the dodo.

The real question is where is Nikon losing potential buyers? Sony mirrorless?

Feb 13, 2014 at 04:28 PM
fsiagian
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A D2300 !?

For those who like compact cameras, isn't the problem the big FF lenses? Nikon needs to make good small dx lenses for the small or mirrorless cameras to come.

Feb 13, 2014 at 04:38 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A D2300 !?

I think the rumor mill is probably a little out in front on this one. I'd bet it utilizes an optical viewfinder and is similar in price and spec to Canon's SL1. I really don't think Nikon can or will build a competitive mirrorless DX camera at a competitive price.

rw11 wrote:
I keep hearing that optical viewfinders will go the way of the dodo.

The real question is where is Nikon losing potential buyers? Sony mirrorless?

I do think Nikon will eventually drop optical viewfinders in favor of EVF's, but I don't think it will be because of competition from another manufacturer. They'll do it because a mirrorless camera is cheaper and easier to build and repair.

Feb 13, 2014 at 05:45 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A D2300 !?

I dunno - I bet they try hard to track where their customers are going. I still remember the "Now, it's Canon" ads...

Feb 13, 2014 at 09:03 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.