New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Strobist kit.... starting from scratch

fstopperdown
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strobist kit.... starting from scratch

I in the process of replenishing my camera bag after being away from photography for a few years. I have pretty extensive experience with weddings and sports but very little involved OCF.

I got my old job back for the newspaper. Freelancing pays very little but it is fun and an excuse to shoot a few times a week.

This will be the test ground for my strobist kit with an eye towards eventually moonlighting doing portraits, weddings, and lighting wedding receptions etc...

Flashes... Currently own older Nikon SB's but is there a benefit going with SB900's or whatever current generation Nikon Flash? Alien Bees? Other choices?

In the past, I always used cheap flashes and manually set my exposure by chimping or using a Sekonic.

Battery packs... Quantum Turbo's are nice and a long term goal for the more serious work like receptions and formals. Any alternatives?

Triggers and remotes... I want to use a couple remote cameras for sports. PWiz's would be my first choice. I've used MultiMax Pocket Wizards but do they play nice with the latest versions. A cheaper reliable knockoff for using OCF at portrait and news events could be a short term fix.

Any help appreciated.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM
AtelierPhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strobist kit.... starting from scratch

What's your budget?!

If your requirements include TTL, you can easily Quadruple the cost of an OCF system... Don't get me wrong, there have been some VAST improvements in this area over the past couple of years, and some up-coming cheaper alternatives to the name brands that are starting to prove their own, but if you NEED dependability on every shot, expect to open the wallet, wide!

Speedlights vs monolights for location shots can be a thread of its own... but if you're considering the latter, the Einsteins are definitely worth considering.

On the cheap (the route I went) There are some really exceptional 3rd party flashes out these days that are just impressive considering their price! (read: yongnuo 560 iii)

Pocketwizards are still at the top in terms of triggers, (and great for use when triggering remote cameras as well.)

With the new AA's out (like eneloops) sealed battery packs become less significant then they were in the past. Accessory powerpacks made for speedlights can run a flash "all day" with a fresh set of rechargables.... and the new lithium tech in monolight powerpacks make them a much better option then the SLAs of the past.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strobist kit.... starting from scratch

Best strobist flash I've used is the LumoPro LP180. It's just made for off camera flash work. Well built, powerful, good quality of light, optical slave built in, multiple trigger modes (has PC port, hotshoe, and more), digital interface, adjustable output in 1/3 stop increments, and has a direct light stand screw mount on the elbow of the flash, so it centers itself better in your umbrellas and softboxes.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:16 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.