New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

I am running Lightroom 5.3 on a Windows 7 machine, and I am receiving a "C++ Run time error" message that requires me to exit the program. In researching this problem, I found a post from several years ago on how to fix this in Lightroom 3, involving changing the "preferences" folder in Explorer. I am stuck however in that I cannot locate that file, either browsing in Explorer or using the "search programs and files" function in Start. I also found a post about deleting "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package" and then re-installing from the Microsoft web site. I thought I would check here before I go uninstalling important programs. Can anyone help?

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

Did you try reinstalling LR? It should not take much time and might help.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM
jstephens62
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

I did finally find the preferences file, labeled the existing preferences file as "old" and restarted LR. It rebuilt the catalog, but did not include the pictures since I upgraded to Lightroom 5, not a good solution for me. Anyone have experience with the deleting the C++ file and re-installing that?

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:05 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

You can reinstall the C++ Runtime, but reinstalling of the whole LR should do the same thing and install the correct version of the runtime.

That said, the message you are getting is likely an indication of an error in LR that was not handled properly by the application and reinstall (either the runtime library or the whole LR app) may or may not help. You could try to narrow the problem down by determining what was LR trying to do when the error message appeared. If LR lets you, you could perhaps try to create a new empty catalog and start adding to it to see when it breaks.

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:00 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · C++ run time error in Lightroom

Perhaps another program installation affected the C++ file(s) and that in turn affect Lr. Or a plug-in might be running into problems.

I don't see why deleting a preference file and rebuilding a catalog should exclude recent images. In any case, tell Lr where those files are and it will import them.

Rebuilding a catalog is like starting from scratch - not something you ever want to do. The existing catalog should work ok with the new preferences. No images should be deleted or excluded.

Get out of Lr. Rename the catalog and preview cache and smart preview cache to something different and then reinstall Lr.
Then tell Lr to open the renamed catalog rather than its default and you're done. No rebuilding required. All files included just as before. All past edits and collections still intact.

- Alan

Feb 16, 2014 at 11:53 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.