FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Compositon "Rules"

DannyBostwick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Compositon "Rules"

Do you guys adhere to any "rules" or "guidelines" (I use those terms extremely loosely, and really for only a lack of better words) when shooting weddings in relation to composition. For instance, do you look for symmetry? When shooting things with broad horizons, do you do something different for different situations? I know composition is so subjective and has no definitive yes or no's, but I think there are a lot of interesting minds here, and I would be curious to hear some thoughts on the way you compose photos.

This comes on the heels of an excerpt I read on the creative process, "Master the how, and leave the what and why up to God".

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:43 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Compositon "Rules"

I try to think about composition yes. We all do whether we're aware of it or not.

Are you wanting to talk specifically about how the image is laid out or about it's content as well? Sometimes when people say "composition" they also meant "content", or imply it, just wanted to check :o)

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:54 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Compositon "Rules"

ricardovaste wrote:
I try to think about composition yes. We all do whether we're aware of it or not.

Are you wanting to talk specifically about how the image is laid out or about it's content as well? Sometimes when people say "composition" they also meant "content", or imply it, just wanted to check :o)

A little bit of both, I was more specifically referring to laid out, but your content with dictate that 9 times out of 10.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:59 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Compositon "Rules"

For instance, something I try to do is look beyond the subject for either distracting elements, or elements I want to pull into the frame. I try to think 3 dimensional.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Compositon "Rules"

That is such a broad question Danny.

I feel that my main challenge as it relates to Wedding photography and compositions currently is two fold - 1) be wary of my composition on PJ moments - watching elements I don't want to be in my photos, mergers, etc, and 2) breaking the so-called 'rules' on my portraits. I typically look for symmetry, angles, foreground & background, leading lines, and contrasts, and I feel like it's becoming too formulaic for me. So I'm trying to break more rules this year..

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:41 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Compositon "Rules"

widjayaman wrote:
That is such a broad question Danny.

I feel that my main challenge as it relates to Wedding photography and compositions currently is two fold - 1) be wary of my composition on PJ moments - watching elements I don't want to be in my photos, mergers, etc, and 2) breaking the so-called 'rules' on my portraits. I typically look for symmetry, angles, foreground & background, leading lines, and contrasts, and I feel like it's becoming too formulaic for me. So I'm trying to break more rules this year..

"Rules" is such a bad word for it, more like, things that you see. I'm just curious as to what different eyes see, if that can be even relayed in a conversation.

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:54 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Compositon "Rules"

Danny, this doesn't address your question but regarding your struggle with the word, I think of "rules" as touchstone (or even guiding) concepts. They sometimes help me better understand why something feels right (and I do enjoy that analytical, academic perspective), and, I want to be aware of it when I'm making a different choice.

I read somewhere once (I think it was about copywriting), it's okay to deliberately the break the rules if you have good reason, but doing it out of ignorance... not so much.

Regards,

Chuck

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:57 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Compositon "Rules"

When it comes to rules... A place of use would be in a print competition like WPPI or PPA.

Yes... You translate into conversation only if everybody understands the concepts.
Understanding the compositional rules/guidelines help you in being creative.
As a pro, even naturally gifted, at some point you will have to produce on your worse days. Having an understanding on composition can save you.

I do look at the entire frame to see if I can help the image compositionally, when free shooting to formals to e-sessions.
As I learn to create better story telling images, I still base the images around the best composition for the moment.

Edited on Feb 12, 2014 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:03 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Compositon "Rules"

I follow certain principles like "isolate the subject" and "frame the moment" and "find/make interesting light." But not compositional rules necessarily like "make symmetry" or the "rule of thirds." I'll apply those kinds of things, but not relentlessly.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:42 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Compositon "Rules"

Ziffl3 wrote:
As a pro, even naturally gifted, at some point you will have to produce on your worse days. Having an understanding on composition can save you.

That's a better way of framing the question. As a professional, you have to deliver, always, but somedays your dog is sick, and you had a fight with your wife, or a client is being difficult and you still have to produce the goods, no matter what. So, that's a better way to ask the question, what rules of thumb do you fall back on?

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:28 PM
hans.dampf

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Compositon "Rules"

Hello DannyBostwick,
interesting question you ask.

I think each photographer has to find their own way of shooting and rules are there, but they are also there to be broken if you want to deliver something outstanding.
Oftentimes, what I notice when I compare professional pictures from the classic "Uncle Bob" pictures is the creative use of depth of field. This shallow depth of field with nice bokeh just cannot be produced with some small sensor camera like an iPhone.
So in short, I guess nice bokeh is a differenciator and a style that is liked by a lot of people and shows them that it's professional.

Examples can be found on my website Photographe de Mariage en Suisse Romande. I almost always try to shoot wide open and bought some expensive stuff for this, but I think it shows.

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:35 AM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Compositon "Rules"

So hans ... is this just a SEO post or are you actually jumping into Wedding section of Fred Miranda site?

If the later ... welcome.

Feb 13, 2014 at 08:57 AM
hans.dampf

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Compositon "Rules"

@Ziffl3: I was actually trying to make a point of what differenciates "professional" looking photos from "amateur" looking professional photos. This is based on my personal experience, that's all. I was hoping that's useful.
Yes, I am going to participate more actively in these threads, you'll see ...

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Compositon "Rules"

I'm typically oblivious to symmetry when I shoot posed/portraits, and I forget colors often, and I forget contrast occasionally, and I really don't ever notice the dark vs light balance in the image...until some of that stuff hits me when I'm editing the photos and I think, crap I messed that up...

What I end up looking for most is something visually appealing to me, usually indescribable by myself, about the subjects or overall framing. This is due to my lack of real understanding - if I understood (and remembered), then I could actively (instead of passively) find the visually appealing angles and framing.

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Compositon "Rules"

Hans, welcome. Pay no mind to SEO jabs. A few here like to assume the worst – to what productive end, I have no idea. As you say, we will see. I look forward to your contributions.

To the other and his About, and his such broadened sensibilities that:, “Heck, I even married a beautiful Colombian girl.”… gosh, she must feel so fortunate.

Did you really put that on your site?... really?

And I think you may have meant “latter”.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Compositon "Rules"

And nolaguy ... what would you really like to say? At least I do not hide.

I asked a pretty basic questioned and provided an avenue for him to tell the forum a little about himself.
No assuming the worst.

Thanks for visiting my site. Good to see you can cut and paste. And the wife does feel fortunate, as I do about having her as my wife.

....and yes ... latter. I am not perfect.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:15 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Compositon "Rules"

hans.dampf wrote:
@Ziffl3: I was actually trying to make a point of what differenciates "professional" looking photos from "amateur" looking professional photos. This is based on my personal experience, that's all. I was hoping that's useful.
Yes, I am going to participate more actively in these threads, you'll see ...

... an interesting perspective.

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:18 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.