Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

cheem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

A friend of mine asked me about a vari-nd to shoot waterfalls. They are an amateur just leaning there is life beyond 'green' mode.

I think Singh-Ray is the top of the heap however she is shooting with a Nikon D80 and budget kit lenses so I can't see the budget being $400-500 for a filter.

Any suggestions for a value version? I quick look at B+H and it appears there are numerous ones from Tiffen, Vivitar, Polaroid, Bower that are affordable. Any experience with these brands?
Also, the one lens she had with her when we had the discussion was a 52mm filter size - I think it was a 55-250. Should we look for a 77mm and get step down rings for her lenses to future proof?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:30 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

The hoya is on par with the singh ray for about half the price. She could certainly save a bit of money going for the 52mm, but a 77 is a good idea if lens upgrades are in her future.

However, vari-nd's don't work well at the extreme ends of their range, especially with wide lenses. If waterfalls are the only subject where ND filtration will be necessary then a dedicated 9 or 10 stop ND might be the way to go.

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:41 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

a couple of things to keep in mind.....

there is at best, a very loose correlation between filter price and performance. I never thought the SR's were worth the asking price and IMO, it's got photo snob/boutique pricing all over it. People mostly vote for filters w/ their wallet

It's rarely if ever someone will look at the image say 'OMG, you used brand xyz filter here, didn't you'.

Dont get a 9/10 stop filter. Variables come w/ their own issues too. Ain't no free lunch. People want different things from their 'water' shots, depends on flow rate, lighting and artistic intent and most of those shots tend to be in the 1/4-1/2-1 second range so figure what you'd need to get in that range and then you can modify it w/ aperture/ISO. Dont forget that a polarizer is usually functions as a 1.5ish stop ND too. With a PL and 4 stop, you have 2, 4, 6 stops worth of ND at your disposable which really should cover 95% of the cases.

I generally carry a polarizer, 4stop ND and Vari (I think both of those are Tiffen, the PL is Nikon slim).

Check out and call 2filter.com

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:25 AM
cheem
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Can you please elaborate on your comment that Variables come with their issues too? Is it kind of like the analogy between zooms and primes?

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:32 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

offhand........

Vari's tend to create a big X on your image when pushed to their maximum.

you sometimes cant (or cant easily) use a lenshood.

many dont have front threads.

sometimes vignetting is an issue (on some, the filter is much larger than the stated diameter to prevent that (the 77mm Tiffen is 89mm outside diameter)

Some add a slight bit of a warm colorcast (but then some normal NDs do that too)

Cost

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

I use the tiffen when I use it.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:21 AM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

The dreaded "X" effect of turning a VND to it's maximum:

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

now essentially this only really affect very wide angle lenses. the wider the more pronounced.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM
bbryz30

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

The Genustech filters are another cheaper alternative, though I have not seen as many reviews:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=genus+nd&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:22 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Thanks for the comments.

I had never heard of the X effect before - thanks for posting a sample. I own a B+W CPOL 77mm that I have used once or twice over the years and I remember wonkiness on my old 17-55/2.8 when I shot on the wide end testing it out.

The Tiffen filters seem a reasonable mid-market price point at $100-150 per filter. The Genustech are a notch down pricewise - I am sure they would prefer them if they are half decent. Anyone with direct experience with them, please chime in with your thoughts.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:55 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

I would probably just get the 77mm and step rings. but like I said, the Tiffen is actually quite large if you look at a cross-section. the threaded back-end is 77mm but the glass/ring front is 89. The whole thing is 12mm thick. Stepping from 77/89 to 52 is *a lot*

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:41 PM
acktdi

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

I'm using the tiffen variable nd, no complaints about image quality or flare/ghosting.
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-77VND-VARIABLE-FILTER-Camera/dp/B004Z55VP0

Feb 12, 2014 at 03:02 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Are brand name step up rings worth it or would eBay variants suffice? I have read horror stories about filters getting lodged on a lens - I would imagine step-up rings have the same potential.

So, brand name (upwards of $40 per ring for B+W) or an eBay 18 piece kit for 12.95?

Any experience would be appreciated.

Feb 13, 2014 at 06:43 AM
480sparky
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

cheem wrote:
Are brand name step up rings worth it or would eBay variants suffice? I have read horror stories about filters getting lodged on a lens - I would imagine step-up rings have the same potential.

So, brand name (upwards of $40 per ring for B+W) or an eBay 18 piece kit for 12.95?

Any experience would be appreciated.

Cheap rings will be aluminum or even plastic. Both will have a tendency to bind up. Good brass rings (like Heliopan) are worth the money. You don't have to worry about a stuck filter when in the field.

Feb 13, 2014 at 08:44 AM
cheem
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

480sparky wrote:
Cheap rings will be aluminum or even plastic. Both will have a tendency to bind up. Good brass rings (like Heliopan) are worth the money. You don't have to worry about a stuck filter when in the field.

Like most (not all) things, you get what you pay for. Thanks for your insight

Feb 13, 2014 at 09:59 AM
Boccanegra

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

I personally would not suggest a variable ND. You're far better off getting one or two good ND filters. Check out www.progreyusa.com as they have a good selection of Progrey items (GND filters, 10-stop ND filters, etc.) They also have very inexpensive step rings that are of excellent quality.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Boccanegra

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Well I'm thinking it might be a good idea to standardize on the 77mm size to account for future purchases of wide angles. Even 82mm is very common. Either of those sizes will give you access to a full range of holders, filters, etc. But try to keep it simple so you have less confusion and fumbling in the field.

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:57 PM
cheem
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Boccanegra wrote:
I personally would not suggest a variable ND. You're far better off getting one or two good ND filters. Check out www.progreyusa.com as they have a good selection of Progrey items (GND filters, 10-stop ND filters, etc.) They also have very inexpensive step rings that are of excellent quality.

Thanks for your comment. Why would not recommend a Vari-ND for a casual user?

Feb 16, 2014 at 06:49 AM
Boccanegra

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Well like someone said in this post (the X effect), possible image problems, but also they don't seem to be quite as clear as pure straight ND's, but it could just be my observation. I don't use one myself but I have known a couple other people who do. They even told me they would prefer a straight ND filter.

Feb 16, 2014 at 04:57 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Vari-ND Brand Suggestions?

Here is a nice review of variable ND filters:

Feb 16, 2014 at 05:20 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.