FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              16       17       end

Archive 2014 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

alwang
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Not too concerned about the EVF downgrade, personally, but i agree that the current aps-c lineup is really confusing compared to before. Then again, the olympus and fuji lineups are confusing as well.

I'm really concerned that sony is dropping touchscreens altogether, which would be a major drawback for me.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:58 AM
riotshield
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sflxn wrote:
I'm curious how Sony makes any money, undercutting every competitor. A7R is $1200 less than D800E. This one is hundreds less than Olympus and Fuji. It's nuts, but I'm glad they're doing it.

Since the general consumer electronics industry stagnated last year, and the market for mirrorless cameras hasn't really grown, I think Sony believes it has to undercut its competitors to get sales. The NEX-6 was a very good seller for Sony when it came down to that $800 price point and this A6000 looks like it will be too. IIRC Sony E-mount is still the mirrorless market leader in the U.S.

I'm an Olympus user and I think this just shows how overpriced Olympus is. I read they have gross margins in the 50-60% range (higher than Apple).

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:58 AM
HelenaN
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Hmm... I think it looks pretty good. Could be a nice replacement for my broken Fuji (I have been wanting to get away from x-trans anyway). I'll certainly keep an eye on the coming reviews.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:11 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mawz wrote:
This looks like a typical Sony update. Design a great camera, cripple a great design with a stupid cost-cutting measure.

I believe Sony is moving APS E-Mount to the mid and lower end of the market and wants the previous higher end APS E-Mount (NEX-7) to move up to FF E-Mount. This seems obvious in looking at the cost-cutting/ cheapening evident in the build and design of the 6000 (chunkier body, lower spec EVF, no upgrade to LCD and so on). It may end up performing really well but it does look cheaper in quality and design imo.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:18 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

What the heck, no touch screen?

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:49 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

riotshield wrote:
I'm an Olympus user and I think this just shows how overpriced Olympus is. I read they have gross margins in the 50-60% range (higher than Apple).

How does this? The comparable Oly is the E-M10, which is comparably priced to the A6000 ($50 more body-only, but same price for the pancake kits). Specs are a mix, but the E-M10 gets a touch screen and better flash sync, the A6000 gets a higher frame rate and better AF-C.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:52 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

The Olympus pancake zoom is also probably a lot better than the near pointless Sony pancake.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:53 AM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I believe Sony is moving APS E-Mount to the mid and lower end of the market and wants the previous higher end APS E-Mount (NEX-7) to move up to FF E-Mount. This seems obvious in looking at the cost-cutting/ cheapening evident in the build and design of the 6000 (chunkier body, lower spec EVF, no upgrade to LCD and so on). It may end up performing really well but it does look cheaper in quality and design imo.

Yep, they seem to be trying to do the same thing as Nikon has been with trying to push the serious shooters to FF.

Only problem is that there's a solid group that doesn't want to go FF. I'm one of them (tried it, and am moving back to APS-C right now, Fuji as it happens for several reasons, but this is definitely one of them). It's been pissing off Nikon users and I expect the same to happen with Sony. The high end of APS-C is the core sales market for enthusiasts.

Edited on Feb 12, 2014 at 09:56 AM · View previous versions

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:55 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

FlyPenFly wrote:
What the heck, no touch screen?

Yea, that peevs me too although neither the 6 or 7 have touch. I prefer using my 5's to my 6 for that reason.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:56 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

The silver looks like champagne and reminds me of the Contax G.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:58 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mawz wrote:
How does this? The comparable Oly is the E-M10, which is comparably priced to the A6000 ($50 more body-only, but same price for the pancake kits). Specs are a mix, but the E-M10 gets a touch screen and better flash sync, the A6000 gets a higher frame rate and better AF-C.

There's also a format size difference between the two, which is a pretty major difference.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:03 AM
sflxn
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

The EVF of this new camera is not a big concern for me. The NEX 7 had an annoying delay for it to turn on. It drove me nuts so I adapted and almost never used it. So while, it had a high res EVF, it was useless to me.

I get the feeling that Sony sometimes designs by pure love of innnovation, and sometimes they design by marketing data. $650. They must have had a price target in mind. I speak for myself only, but even at $800, this would be a great price. The A7R's EVF and a touchscreen would probably not cost that extra $150. It appears to me they were designing this camera to fall in a strict price range. Between this camera and the A7, there is nearly a $1000 gap. Now, this camera is great, but I hope somewhere in their marketing data is proof that people like current NEX 7 owners are willing to pay more for an even better aps-c camera.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sflxn wrote:
Now, this camera is great, but I hope somewhere in their marketing data is proof that people like current NEX 7 owners are willing to pay more for an even better aps-c camera.

Yes, but I believe they expect those users to pay more for FF E-Mount bodies instead of a higher end APS E-mount body. This 6000 is said by Sony sources to replace BOTH the NEX-6 and NEX-7. So, I suspect you will have to go for either one of the A7's or wait for the A9 top model if you want something more.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
H.Lux
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mawz wrote:
Only problem is that there's a solid group that doesn't want to go FF. I'm one of them (tried it, and am moving back to APS-C right now, Fuji as it happens for several reasons, but this is definitely one of them). It's been pissing off Nikon users and I expect the same to happen with Sony. The high end of APS-C is the core sales market for enthusiasts.

I'm another one. As I have the Pentax 645D, I want to have as other system a small and light one. Just preordered the A6000 with the ZA16-70 and the Touit 12/2.8. Will sell the speed booster, which is nice but heavy and the alt SLR-lenses as well as the NEX-7, keep ZA24/1.8 and Contax G lenses. I expect to have then to have a lightweight system which fits into the pocket of a jacket. As a "always with me" cam and for street photography it should be excellent.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Looks like a great camera. I'm currently trying to decide what route to take with my gear and this looks pretty tempting.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sflxn wrote:
I'm curious how Sony makes any money, undercutting every competitor. A7R is $1200 less than D800E. This one is hundreds less than Olympus and Fuji. It's nuts, but I'm glad they're doing it.

Well they make the sensors themselves no doubt the processors too and I doubt there is a single really new component inside or outside that hasn't been seen on another body already.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

hmmf, maybe I'll be able to pick up a used NEX-7 cheap because of this. I don't use AF so this would be a strict downgrade for me.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sebboh wrote:
hmmf, maybe I'll be able to pick up a used NEX-7 cheap because of this. I don't use AF so this would be a strict downgrade for me.

I'm not totally sure. Like I mentioned in the other thread, some are saying the EVF is actually better, despite being lower resolution, and maybe, if we're lucky, the sensor will perform better at the periphery? Agree, though, that AF is the main reason for this upgrade.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:56 PM
itai195
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Since this seems to have the A7's menu system and such, does anyone know if the A6000 will have auto ISO in manual mode too? That was really irritating on previous NEX bodies. And maybe this is pushing my luck, but heaven forbid, is there a way to set a minimum shutter speed for auto ISO?

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:21 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

For me, it's not only AF. I know it's not important for osme people, but I'm also interested in the wifi capability. 36mp on the A7R is kinda painful to transfer over wifi. I have a feeling 24mp will also be painful. Lastly, having common matching menu systems means less fuss looking for features. There's enough in this camera and enough annoyances about the NEX 7 that makes me want to trade my aps-c camera up.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:29 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.