Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              15      
       17       end

Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.16 #1 · p.16 #1 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

I'm with Jeff, it may be irritating but unusable? In fact it brings an advantage in that you can move the focus spot around BEFORE you zoom in if it's in the wrong place.

I was hoping that B&H would ship today. No luck so far.

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:00 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.16 #2 · p.16 #2 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Just got off the phone with Adorama. they still dont have it in stock!

Apr 23, 2014 at 07:32 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #3 · p.16 #3 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mcbroomf wrote:
I'm with Jeff, it may be irritating but unusable? In fact it brings an advantage in that you can move the focus spot around BEFORE you zoom in if it's in the wrong place.

like taran, i don't find it to be advantageous at all in use. on the other hand i don't find it to be quite as obnoxious on the a7 as it is on my rx1 because i can set it to go straight to magnified view with a double click of the same button the rx1 requires me to click the magnify button and then the center button, which is terrible, instead of just the magnify button twice.

the end result with both cameras is still that i just don't use magnified liveview near as much as i did with my NEX cameras.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:46 AM
Ssteve

p.16 #4 · p.16 #4 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Anyone know how I can access BULB? In manual mode I can scroll as far as 30sec and I see bulb to the left, but it won't let me select it.

Apr 24, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Ssteve

p.16 #5 · p.16 #5 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Cancel that. Needs to be set in single shot mode first.

Apr 24, 2014 at 02:11 PM
ebrandon
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.16 #6 · p.16 #6 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Wow. There's really not much interest in the a6000 on FM. This thread and the other a6000 threads are really quiet.

I'm a little surprised, because it's a pretty major camera release -- first mirrorless APS-C Sony with the alpha menu system, first mirrorless Sony with good AF, extremely cheap compared to its competition (Olympus EM series, Fuji X-T1) and the only one in its class with 24 million megapixels.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:43 AM
Jochenb
• • •
p.16 #7 · p.16 #7 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

ebrandon wrote:
Wow. There's really not much interest in the a6000 on FM. This thread and the other a6000 threads are really quiet.

I'm a little surprised, because it's a pretty major camera release -- first mirrorless APS-C Sony with the alpha menu system, first mirrorless Sony with good AF, extremely cheap compared to its competition (Olympus EM series, Fuji X-T1) and the only one in its class with 24 million megapixels.

Many people here lost interest in these APS-C cameras after the A7(R) got released.

Apr 25, 2014 at 07:58 AM
taran
• •
p.16 #8 · p.16 #8 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mcbroomf wrote:
I'm with Jeff, it may be irritating but unusable?

Sony owes me nothing, I don't forget that, and this affects maybe .1% of potential users. But it begs a bigger point... How can you expect to build a pro system when the buttons do different things from generation to generation, and the new behavior is forced upon you, with no way to revert?

If you use NEX in a professional setting with MF lenses, how are you supposed to switch between a N7 and A6000? The cameras are impossible to differentiate in hand during event photography or a stressful situation. Learned behavior from two years of manual focus shooting is now out the window, and the new system is much clunkier than the old.

A firmware update can fix this simply by offering to reverse the current behavior. i.e. have the option for zoomed view first, and then second click brings you the AF area. Obviously, that can be done.

More to the point, if this doesn't happen via firmware update, then Sony is purposely trying to sell AF lenses, and I am a victim of my own conspiracy theory that NEX manual focus was just bait to switch to the system while Sony deprecated MF features as more AF lenses come online.

Call me crazy, but next is the disabling of shutter release for non-cpu lenses... I am sure many will say it cannot happen, but I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps when 14 FE lenses come online, sony will just say, we have enough native lenses now, tough luck.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.16 #9 · p.16 #9 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

How do you set up a Nex-7 (mine) , for one button, one push, image magnification ?
Harry Palmer

Apr 25, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Lotusm50
• • • • •
p.16 #10 · p.16 #10 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Really? I'm planning to buy one as a significant upgrade to my NEX-5n. Lot's of capability, low price, can still use the adapters I have for the 5n (especially the tilt and shift adapters that i can't use on an A7). Great for when I don't want to carry a "big" DSLR, and non-critical, casual, fun, and event shooting (and for when I don't need to be worried so much about breaking it). Seems to be very hard to beat for the price.

The only thing I wish it had was a better standard zoom lens. It's nice that Sony was able to make it more compact, but it's performance leaves something to be desired. I would only use it when convenience rules above all else. Would definitely pay more for a similar dimensioned lens that performs well (the Zeiss E-mount zoom is too big, and expensive for how it would be used). Maybe Sigma or someone else will see this as an opportunity.

Don't really see it as competing with the A7. The A7/A7r is 3-4 times as expensive. I could a see the A7r as a potential replacement for my D800e (and I might do just that with the next generation of the A7r), not my 5n.

ebrandon wrote:

and

Jochenb wrote:
Many people here lost interest in these APS-C cameras after the A7(R) got released.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #11 · p.16 #11 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Kingfishphoto wrote:
How do you set up a Nex-7 (mine) , for one button, one push, image magnification ?
Harry Palmer

i set mine so that pushing the AF/MF button gave me instant image magnification, but i'm pretty sure any of the buttons you assign allows that.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:26 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.16 #12 · p.16 #12 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Mine's going to be a significant upgrade to my 1DsII, for all but about 5% of shooting scenarios, and the usability improvements (size, lcd, etc) make the tradeoff worth it for me. One mans backup is another man's...

It doesnt sound tho that anything other than the ff sensor justifies the 4x price of the A7. What do people get for that? Not trying to start anything, just genuinely curious.

Lotusm50 wrote:
Really? I'm planning to buy one as a significant upgrade to my NEX-5n. Lot's of capability, low price, can still use the adapters I have for the 5n (especially the tilt and shift adapters that i can't use on an A7). Great for when I don't want to carry a "big" DSLR, and non-critical, casual, fun, and event shooting (and for when I don't need to be worried so much about breaking it). Seems to be very hard to beat for the price.

The only thing I wish it had was a better standard zoom lens. It's nice that Sony was
...Show more

Edited on Apr 25, 2014 at 02:53 PM · View previous versions

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:39 PM
taran
• •
p.16 #13 · p.16 #13 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sebboh wrote:
i set mine so that pushing the AF/MF button gave me instant image magnification, but i'm pretty sure any of the buttons you assign allows that.

Yep. I believe myself and most other MF lens users map the AEL button to zoom. on my N6/7 this is the default behavior.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #14 · p.16 #14 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

joekraft wrote:
Mine's going to be a significant upgrade to my 1DsII, for all but about 5% of shooting scenarios, and the usability improvements (size, lcd, etc) make the tradeoff worth it for me. One mans backup is another man's...

It doesnt sound tho that anything other than the ff sensor justifies the 4x price of the A7. What do people get for that?

mine only cost 2x as much, and it made all my lenses suddenly better. also, strangely my tilt adapter seems to work just fine on the a7. maybe rokkors are designed with a bigger image circle than necessary?

the a6000 definitely looks like a great deal, just not near as exciting for alt lens shooters, which makes up most of the people on this subforum.

Apr 25, 2014 at 02:53 PM
alwang
• • •
p.16 #15 · p.16 #15 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

taran wrote:
Sony owes me nothing, I don't forget that, and this affects maybe .1% of potential users. But it begs a bigger point... How can you expect to build a pro system when the buttons do different things from generation to generation, and the new behavior is forced upon you, with no way to revert?

If you use NEX in a professional setting with MF lenses, how are you supposed to switch between a N7 and A6000? The cameras are impossible to differentiate in hand during event photography or a stressful situation. Learned behavior from two years of manual focus shooting is
...Show more

I have a lot of sympathy for your viewpoint, having used a NEX with MF lenses for at least 3 years, and personally preferring the one-touch magnification. However:
- The two-button magnification isn't objectively worse for MF lenses, it's simply different. There will be others who prefer the two-button magnification with MF lenses, depending on their shooting style. So the conspiracy theory of Sony "deprecating" MF features doesn't hold water.
- Although I was initially hesitant, it took me no more than a week to be comfortable using the two-button magnification on an A7, and I continue to swap back and forth between that camera and a NEX-5n with no issues.

Apr 25, 2014 at 04:16 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.16 #16 · p.16 #16 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

This camera is hard to beat ( value for money ) if you already have and enjoy Nex cameras along with adapters and alt lenses. I have a 1ds2 for ff use along with a couple of canon, 3 Ziess, OM and FD lenses. I would have bought the A7 had Metabones have a reasonable upgrade from the II to III. So the A6000 will be coming my way soon.

To be honest if Sony comes out with the RX2 ( rumored curved sensor) and built in viewfinder I'll eat my words.
John

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:27 PM
mhespenheide
• •
p.16 #17 · p.16 #17 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sebboh wrote:
...strangely my tilt adapter seems to work just fine on the a7. maybe rokkors are designed with a bigger image circle than necessary?

Can I ask which tilt adapter you're using? I'm curious about the color rendition of the rokkors and getting tilt would be a bonus. (Although shifting stresses the image circle a lot more than tilting does...)

Apr 25, 2014 at 05:44 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.16 #18 · p.16 #18 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mhespenheide wrote:
Can I ask which tilt adapter you're using? I'm curious about the color rendition of the rokkors and getting tilt would be a bonus. (Although shifting stresses the image circle a lot more than tilting does...)

beats me, the label fell off. the cheapest one i could find. i doubt a shift adapter would work, my 24, 28, and 58mm seem ok with tilt though.

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:09 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.16 #19 · p.16 #19 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Tilt adapters work OK because the lens isn't tilted about the aperture like a Canon TSE is (which offsets the image circle like a shift would). The adapters have to tilt behind the lens, so for the most part the image circle stays on target as it were.

Apr 25, 2014 at 06:26 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.16 #20 · p.16 #20 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

I just read that they omitted the virtual level on this one. That's disappointing, I really appreciate that feature. Does anyone know if that is a hardware thing, or can it be added later?

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:37 AM
       17       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

17       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password