Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3              16       17       end

Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mcbroomf wrote:
SAR suggested that the Nex7 successor would appear at Photokina this year.

SAR implies that the NEX 7 successor will be FF so not a true successor. The admin there says he has only heard of FF E after the A6000.

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:09 AM
lumis beans
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

There's some more info on the EVF in the video @ ~3:40 that claims it's not actually a step down (I have to assume compared to the NEX-6):

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:18 AM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

snapsy wrote:
Wow, that's a very aggressive price for the body.

I agree.

$650 for the body is very competitive with the X-E2's price.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:44 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Does anyone here know if Sony addressed the criticism of their auto exposure bracketing implementation? Dpreview's specifications page is not known for its accuracy. Right now their spec page is indicating that the A6000 can shoot up to 5 exposures with a difference of 1 EV each. I'm skeptical that this is really the case. Yet, I can't seem to find any other publication that addressed this issue.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:46 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

ronfronberg wrote:
Maybe explains why Sony is exiting the computer/tv world.

Sony isn't exiting the TV business. It's only PCs right now.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:47 AM
lsquare
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Spyro P. wrote:
they don't really, their credit rating is junk and the whole corp is weaving over and under break even point every year.
however they just sold their pc/vaio business and their sensor business is making them money, so they're probably here to stay, at least as far as cameras are concerned.

Bottom line: enjoy the prices.

There's no doubt that Sony is losing money, but that's because they've been clinging on to unprofitable businesses for quite some time. Also, you have to keep in mind that the Japanese Yen have been strong for a very long time. It was only in the past 6-12 months where the Yen have plummeted in value which made Japanese exports much more competitive price wise.

Sony's imaging division is doing well so there's no doubt that they'll stay in this business. After all, Sony is ranked #3 right now. Sony can compete with both Canon and Nikon.

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:51 AM
eosfun
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mcbroomf wrote:
SAR suggested that the Nex7 successor would appear at Photokina this year.

SAR is just a rumour site that said a few weeks ago we would see a NEX 7 successor now. They just make up their mind after the fact and bring facts then as a twisted outcome of their prediction directly connected to the next rumor to keep traffic going. But they didn't get the point yet: the NEX 7 successor is called Alpha 7 and it's already available.

This new Alpha 6000 is an in between model below the Alpha 7 and above the Alpha 5000 and a very logical step in the new clean line up that Sony brings to the market. The next step is: Sony will clean up it's D-SLR line.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:40 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Yes, it seems it's mostly their sound/home entertainment and mobiles that drag them down as a corporation:
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/ar/2013/highlight/p2.html

but I don't thing anyone who is simply a customer should be concerned, if things get worse a possible scenario is that Sony might be forced to sell another business, and if (worst case scenario) that ends up being their imaging business (unlikely because it's profitable) then the cameras will simply continue under some other corporate banner or investment fund that might change their pricing or support policy somewhat.

Too many ifs and maybes, the main thing is that now Sony is pricing aggressively, and that's good for us consumers. I won't buy Sony but I dont mind Fuji and Oly feeling the pinch.

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:48 AM
mcbroomf
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

lsquare wrote:
Does anyone here know if Sony addressed the criticism of their auto exposure bracketing implementation? Dpreview's specifications page is not known for its accuracy. Right now their spec page is indicating that the A6000 can shoot up to 5 exposures with a difference of 1 EV each. I'm skeptical that this is really the case. Yet, I can't seem to find any other publication that addressed this issue.

This is from the Sony web site so it looks like it has what we want (well some might want 7 exposures). Now if they would just let us use it in combo with timer delay ...

Exposure Bracketing :
Cont. Bracket: x3 or x5 image in 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments,
Single Bracket: x3 or x5 image in 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV, 2/3 EV, 1.0 EV, 2.0 EV, 3.0 EV increments

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM
kdrk888
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

I have a dumb question. I currently own a Canon 5DIII and 6D, S100. This Sony a6000 sounds like a very interesting camera. I haven't had any experience with mirrorless cameras. Can you pick the focus point to put it exactly where you want it like the DSLRs?

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

Looks awesome.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:53 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

@kdrk888: Sure, the a6000 has 179 phase-detection and 25 contrast-detection AF points. With the NEX5n you could even select the AF point by touch screen, but I don't know why Sony hasn't included that feature anymore in any of the later models.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM
John Wolf
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

kdrk888 wrote:
I have a dumb question. I currently own a Canon 5DIII and 6D, S100. This Sony a6000 sounds like a very interesting camera. I haven't had any experience with mirrorless cameras. Can you pick the focus point to put it exactly where you want it like the DSLRs?

Thanks.

That's a pretty standard feature on Nex caneras, so I assume it offers that function. The Nex 7, for example, has a dedicated focus button. Press it and then press the wheel to move the focus point. Works great.

John

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:14 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pizl71ar9XI

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:35 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

This looks like a typical Sony update. Design a great camera, cripple a great design with a stupid cost-cutting measure. The EVF is a major disappointment to me, a silly limitation on your primary interface to an otherwise great update of the NEX-6.

Other than the EVF, looks great although I can't help but think that it's more of a 5/6 replacement than a 6/7 replacement. I'm kinda wondering what Sony's thinking with their new E mount lineup. They went from a solid low-end (3 for consumers, 5 for more advanced consumers and second camera's for serious shooters) with a confused high-end (6/7) to a messed low-end line (a3000 that nobody wants, because it's so awful that even cheap doesn't make up for it, A5000 that is a direct NEX-3 replacement) a decent mid(A6000), but a complete lack of anything higher in the line (for APS-C).

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:39 PM
TMaG82
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

I had a NEX-6 and a 7 for a while last year. The 6 I used for the birth of my daughter, so it'll always have a special place in my heart. But I'll keep going back to my belief that Sony always seems to be that close to having a really great camera. The parts are just there but missing a few features that would make it a killer.

And as much as the lens lineup has improved, it still suffers from way too much quality control issues and copy variation. I don't want to have to go through 3-4 of each lens to find a good one. I had to go through 4 copies of the Zeiss 24, 3 of them 10-18, 2 different 35's, and 4 of the 55-200. I feel bad about returning a lens that has issues to the retailer only to see them resell it as a new copy. I actually had Amazon sent me an email last year inquiring about why I was buying and returning so many Sony lenses. When I explained to them that I was concerned about copy variation and it took 4 different copies to find a sharp one, they didn't understand and threatened to ban me from using Amazon. It took bringing it up the chain of command to almost a senior executive level who understood that I wasn't trying to commit fraud for them to understand. Because of that I'm literally weary of ordering any camera equipment from Amazon due to fear of being blacklisted. I shouldn't have to do that.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:49 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

sflxn wrote:
I'm curious how Sony makes any money, undercutting every competitor. A7R is $1200 less than D800E. This one is hundreds less than Olympus and Fuji. It's nuts, but I'm glad they're doing it.

Unfortunately Sony doesn't make any money and that is their issue. They just announced they are leaving the computer business and slowing their TV business....however I guess they are actually doing this to concentrate on digital imaging so who knows. They produce a lot of cameras and very frequently but I'm not sure if their business model will be sustainable.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:12 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

arbitrage wrote:
Unfortunately Sony doesn't make any money and that is their issue. They just announced they are leaving the computer business and slowing their TV business....however I guess they are actually doing this to concentrate on digital imaging so who knows. They produce a lot of cameras and very frequently but I'm not sure if their business model will be sustainable.

Note the vast majority of Sony's losses were in the computer business (VIAO's haven't sold well in years) and in the commodity side of the TV business (where everyone is losing money).

Their imaging business is in far better shape, IIRC they're making money there overall (but recall that's video & stills).

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:34 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

mawz wrote:
This looks like a typical Sony update. Design a great camera, cripple a great design with a stupid cost-cutting measure. The EVF is a major disappointment to me, a silly limitation on your primary interface to an otherwise great update of the NEX-6.

Other than the EVF, looks great although I can't help but think that it's more of a 5/6 replacement than a 6/7 replacement. I'm kinda wondering what Sony's thinking with their new E mount lineup. They went from a solid low-end (3 for consumers, 5 for more advanced consumers and second camera's for serious shooters) with a confused
...Show more

Mawz, you just bought a camera without an evf,

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Official: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless announced

This EVF is still probably better in real world use than the Nex-7 evf. The view from that is similar to a live instagram filter at all times.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:52 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password