Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              7      
       end

Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

pixelreaper
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.8 #1 · p.8 #1 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

Hi Roger,

I found that my copy is very sharp at 200mm. Even wide open, it performs better at 200MM than it does at 70mm. Clearly my testing and judgement are not nearly as thorough and professional as yours, but I am curious to see if you notice the same thing when you get additional copies of the lens.

Cheers,
Dimitri Kavalieros

RCicala wrote:
I got to shoot with one for a week. I found it awesome up to 150mm, but rather soft longer than that. I suspect my copy was a bit decentered at the long end so I'm reserving judgement until I get to see more copies.

May 01, 2014 at 02:38 AM
Buffalonian
• •
p.8 #2 · p.8 #2 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

sge998 wrote:
This really defeats the purpose having a "lightweight, pocketable, and small full-frame" camera doesn't it?

Well, you can always get a 55-210 NEX lens then shoot a 10mpx size image in RAW based on coverage and shoot at ISO 6400 to gain back that loss of apeture ...

It's all what you are willing to sacrifice. I don't think that even Leica with the M-series FF cameras has a focal range lens that has AF and image stabilzation like this.

The comments that follow, state sensor size is really the biggest reason. Its a zoom-lens too, so the argument back about large format cameras (4x5, 8x10, etc) have smaller lenses that are also fast relative non-zoom capabilities of such a range - but they are also fixed w/ digital lens features.

May 02, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.8 #3 · p.8 #3 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

Isn't it pretty obvious that once we're in the Tele range, we can forget about pocketability for good? Yet some people still think they can have their cake and eat it too. Stay below, like, 90mm (Voigtländer 90/3.5) and the setup might stay compact...

May 02, 2014 at 03:13 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #4 · p.8 #4 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

Snopchenko wrote:
Isn't it pretty obvious that once we're in the Tele range, we can forget about pocketability for good? Yet some people still think they can have their cake and eat it too. Stay below, like, 90mm (Voigtländer 90/3.5) and the setup might stay compact...

actually going with collapsible designs could allow for considerable space savings on telephotos with mirrorless FF cameras. you could make a nice 300mm that collapses down to the length that 90/3.5 + adapter (obviously it would be much fatter). build tolerances would have to be higher i imagine to maintain good centering though on something with a telescoping barrel.

May 02, 2014 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.8 #5 · p.8 #5 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

I'm wary of collapsing designs until we have fully electronic shutters.

May 02, 2014 at 05:26 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.8 #6 · p.8 #6 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

FlyPenFly wrote:
I'm wary of collapsing designs until we have fully electronic shutters.

why? what problems have those caused with the panasonic, olympus, and sony designs?

also, most telephoto zooms are collapsing designs of a sort.

May 02, 2014 at 05:42 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.8 #7 · p.8 #7 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

sebboh wrote:
why? what problems have those caused with the panasonic, olympus, and sony designs?

also, most telephoto zooms are collapsing designs of a sort.

On the Olympus and Panasonic designs at least, collapsing zooms lead to great shutter shock effects. For example, the Panasonic 12-32mm, I tried two copies, are particularly prone to shutter shock at focal lengths where my primes on the same bodies and shutter speeds, rarely if not ever show shock.

The Olympus 14-42mm even in R II form also is more prone to SS than say the Panasonic 14mm.

http://i.imgur.com/whmFQJK.jpg

May 02, 2014 at 07:20 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.8 #8 · p.8 #8 · Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS Lens announced

That, and we're speaking of a semi-fast, stabilized premium design after all. F/4.5-5.6 ones can be smaller, of course, even for FF, but the likes of old Canon 55-200 or 80-200 plastic fantastics don't seem too good optically.

sebboh wrote:
actually going with collapsible designs could allow for considerable space savings on telephotos with mirrorless FF cameras. you could make a nice 300mm that collapses down to the length that 90/3.5 + adapter (obviously it would be much fatter). build tolerances would have to be higher i imagine to maintain good centering though on something with a telescoping barrel.

May 02, 2014 at 08:17 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password