Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Unnatural Fall Colors

roguecoolman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Unnatural Fall Colors

Hello All,

My recent visit to Yosemite allowed me to take my favorite route there, highway 120. It's a beautiful drive flanked by tall evergreens and ever so often you get peaks into outer rim of the valley. This year the drive was a bit of a melancholy. I often see many of our FM'ers post beautiful fall photos in the Colorado area. Hills and hills of gold and I have yet to visit those areas to see with my own eyes. As I was driving through highway 120, I saw many many golden yellow trees and it reminisced of the photos I've seen on here. Sadly though, it is a very unnatural fall colors. The golden trees are dying/burnt evergreens caused by the rim fire. I love taking photos along the highway 120. I've included one that I took 2 fall/winters ago of the same scene (slightly different viewing angle and crop).

It is a stark reminder that when we go and avail ourselves in mother nature we must be careful to not disturb the balance. We know the rim fire was caused by a careless hunter. Forest fires are natural when it's natures time but it didn't need to be forced. In my life now, I probably will never see the tall green trees I once enjoyed while driving. Perhaps my children have a shot.

© roguecoolman 2014

Unnatural fall colors #1

© roguecoolman 2014

Unnatural fall colors #2

© roguecoolman 2014

What it looked like before the rim fire

fire damaged

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:48 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Unnatural Fall Colors

Think the first one offers the best statement of the damage with the felled/damanged tree against the blackened trees.

Surprisingly, I find the last one still representative of fall colors though different.

When I visited the area in the Fall, I noticed the damage, though over a large areas, seemed to have raced through.

Since fire is a natural element in the forests (although this one was man-started), the forest will be rejuvenated and will take on a new beauty. We are troubled by the change/damage but it is part of overall picture

Dan

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:12 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Unnatural Fall Colors

Very nice Daniel. The third is my pick

Morris

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:32 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Unnatural Fall Colors

Thanks Dan and Morris!

Jason

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Unnatural Fall Colors

Nice set Jason. I like No. 3 the most here.

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:15 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Unnatural Fall Colors

fall is my favorite season, all those colors

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:08 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.