Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11              13       14       end

Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

greenfield wrote:
Bryan from TDP likes AI servo with that lens:

I guess you just read what you want to read. This thread is about the reported AI Servo issue, which he did not even address. It has been pointed out many times that the issue is with the 7D, 1D Mk IV, and PREVIOUS bodies.

He did all his testing with a 5D3 and 1DX. And even then, he said:

Focus speed is reasonable as long as the lens locks focus immediately. I add that condition because I find this lens going focus hunting too frequently even under good light. This issue can be a bit maddening at times and I missed some wildlife shots because of it. AF fails to lock sometimes even in good light with a high contrast subject (most frequently when in a strongly out of focus condition to start.

What part of all that did you miss

Mar 06, 2014 at 05:21 AM
pat4ster

Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Right on! He missed the meat of the matter, AI Servo 7D et al..

Mar 06, 2014 at 04:07 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

What part of all that did you miss

That statement is more than enough to have alarm bells ringing and would immediately render the lens useless to me. If I want to experience this sort of crap again, I might as well go back and get a 20D or 5D and use them for BIF work, because they couldn't track reliably for shit.

The fact he got these results on 5D3 and 1DX should be enough evidence something's rotten in the sate of Denmark.

Mar 06, 2014 at 08:22 PM
surfinrobin

p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

So I've just been told by the service agents that represent Tamron UK to return my lens for a fix to the issue affecting the 7D and other bodies. Apparently Tamron Germany (presumably Europe HQ) was waiting for a response from Japan, which came yesterday. I'll be sending it off on Monday.

Mar 07, 2014 at 03:51 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

surfinrobin wrote:
So I've just been told by the service agents that represent Tamron UK to return my lens for a fix to the issue affecting the 7D and other bodies. Apparently Tamron Germany (presumably Europe HQ) was waiting for a response from Japan, which came yesterday. I'll be sending it off on Monday.

Sounds promising!

Mar 07, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Great , now how do I know when my lens comes in if it has upgrade / repair ?
Should I tell store to move me to bottom of list ?

Mar 07, 2014 at 05:33 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Roy Morales wrote:
Great , now how do I know when my lens comes in if it has upgrade / repair ?
Should I tell store to move me to bottom of list ?

You can:

1. Cancel your preorder and wait for confirmation from other users that the AI servo issue has been corrected, then place a new order;

2. Keep your pre-order and evaluate the lens when you get it. If it works the way you want it to, great. If not, either send it back for a refund or send it in for warranty service.

Absent any information from Tamron regarding an acknowledgment of the problem and affected lots/serials, you have no way of knowing at this time. Oh, by the way, there hasn't been any announcement that I've seen from Tamron USA regarding a "fix".

Mar 07, 2014 at 05:58 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Thanks , store did not know when next shipment will be . I am # 38 on list of 111 .
I pick it up - yes it costs more than web - maybe not if it needs to go back [ phone tree for RMA , repacking , going to post office standing in line , buying insurance ]

Mar 07, 2014 at 06:50 PM
pat4ster

p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

I wonder, Firmware fixes are for the camera bodies only and generally only the OEM of the camera, Canon, upgrades the camera bodies. Does Tamron issue firmware for Canon bodies that won't focus in AI Servo?

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:40 PM
mitesh
• • • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

pat4ster wrote:
I wonder, Firmware fixes are for the camera bodies only and generally only the OEM of the camera, Canon, upgrades the camera bodies. Does Tamron issue firmware for Canon bodies that won't focus in AI Servo?

Tamron cannot update firmware for Canon cameras. What *may* be possible is *if* Tamron determines the lens to be faulty, to send the lens in for warranty service and have Tamron update the lens firmware to affect functionality with affected cameras. Keep in mind, that is pure speculation and absent an official announcement, you shouldn't expect anything like that.

Mar 12, 2014 at 02:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roy Morales
• •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Sigma has a USB thing that can upgrade SOME of their lenses .

Canon sometimes will upgrade [ tweak ] the software in lenses , this is not because they are nice . It is because
they upgraded their stuff . Camera bodies always get upgraded to latest firm ware .
You want a lens fixed , send it in - in Tamron's case , you are going to wait a while . Bunches of bad lenses and not enouigh people who know how to fix / repair .

Mar 12, 2014 at 04:30 PM
brimull
• • •
p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

surfinrobin wrote:

I'll be very interested in how this works out for you. Please post information after it's returned and you get a chance to thoroughly test it.

Brian M.

Mar 12, 2014 at 06:03 PM
pKai
• • •
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

I just sold my copy for more than I paid for it to someone that just had to have it NOW. He's even aware of the issues discussed here. Gotta love those people. I'm holding off until all this dust settles before I think to buy it again.

If they fix this issue, I likely will get it again.... it MUST work reliably with a 1D4 and 5D2.

What I really want lens-wise is a 100-400 II with as good IQ and focus as the current 400 5.6 or...... the 400 5.6 with IS.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:58 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

pKai wrote:
What I really want lens-wise is a 100-400 II with as good IQ and focus as the current 400 5.6 or...... the 400 5.6 with IS.

Have you considered the new sigma 120-300 OS S?
It will give you 420mm at f4 with very good IQ.

Stop it down to 5.6 and you will have IQ as good as the 400L at the same aperture AND with OS:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=844&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=6&API=3&LensComp=278&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Granted, it will not AF as fast as the bare 400L, so for some applications (BIF could be an example) it might be an hindrance for some people.

P.S.
Sorry for the off-topic

Mar 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM
pKai
• • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

fraga wrote:
Have you considered the new sigma 120-300 OS S?
It will give you 420mm at f4 with very good IQ.

Stop it down to 5.6 and you will have IQ as good as the 400L at the same aperture AND with OS:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=844&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=6&API=3&LensComp=278&CameraComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Granted, it will not AF as fast as the bare 400L, so for some applications (BIF could be an example) it might be an hindrance for some people.

P.S.
Sorry for the off-topic

I already have a Canon 70-300 4-5.6L which has stellar IQ and quick AF. It is my preferred BIF lens for larger birds with the 1D4. What I need is more handholdable reach. That was my great hope for the Tamron..... we'll see what they do about these issues.

Mar 14, 2014 at 03:47 PM
fairygen

p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

I've just spoken to Jessops who have their next lot of lenses it - this is the first batch to come to the UK since launch and apparently each retailer has been given no more than seven.

The Tamron rep was in yesterday to talk to them specifically about the lens and the issues and have confirmed a few things - Firmware in the lens has been updated. The focus problems are accepted and was an issue with communication between focus points and the lens. Tamron have spoken to Canon and the issue is now fixed and all new lenses from now will have been corrected at manufacture or before dispatch to the retailers!

Mine is due to be delivered on Monday, so will see if it's better than the earlier copy I had and returned, and that they actually have solved the issue.

Mar 14, 2014 at 04:06 PM
rongoe
• •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

i wonder whether they'll issue a recall or provide free shipping to have first-shipped lenses updated.

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:07 PM
Roy Morales
• •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Thanks for posting -
Glad to here about fix - I would check tho- maybe a sales pitch .
Last Saturday I went to 2 local shops / stores - they had no returns or
info on next shipment . Also said they had read about complaints but
no one came in complaining .
I am in the 50's on back order list so 7 lenses won't get me one .

Mar 14, 2014 at 05:09 PM
surfinrobin

p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

I've just picked up a copy in Bristol, UK. this afternoon and tested it with my 7D in the shop. I can confirm this one had the AIServo issue.

Mar 14, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

fairygen wrote:
The Tamron rep was in yesterday to talk to them specifically about the lens and the issues and have confirmed a few things - Firmware in the lens has been updated. The focus problems are accepted and was an issue with communication between focus points and the lens. Tamron have spoken to Canon and the issue is now fixed and all new lenses from now will have been corrected at manufacture or before dispatch to the retailers!

Has anyone seen this confirmed in writing from Tamron, or is it just hearsay

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password