Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              13       14       end

Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Wildthing

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Well I cancelled my order and sent Tamron Japan an e-mail in regards of the AI servo focus issues on certain camera bodies. Looks like I will never be buying one of these, as obviously they do not see it as a problem. We just have to get all of our birds in flight to hover, then fly again, as we try each of these "fixes", per Tamron.

This is the response I got.

Thank you for your patience.

Regarding the AI servo issue, the more zoom position comes to tele, the shallower the depth of field gains. At a very tele end, the depth of field turns to be so shallow that AF may not find an object precisely and AF stops searching when AI servo function in use.

When AF stops to search the object, please try to do following:
- Apply a limiter switch depending on the object distance under AI Servo function.
- or re-press shutter button.
- or rotate the focus ring roughly to get the object on focus and then once again
shoot the object by pressing shutter button halfway.
(Note) Please do not rotate the focus ring when AF is running.

Best regards,
Tamron Japan Customer Service

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Could you please post the email address so others can send similar complaints? Thanks.

Their suggestions are garbage. Similar to the dumb suggestions I got from Amplis (Canadian Tamron distributor).

I'm pretty sure owners of Canon 600mm & 800mm lenses do not have to re-press the shutter button or manually prefocus, even with TC's attached.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM
Wildthing

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

No problem Tony. This is it, and never have had to do any of the aforementioned "fixes" on my Canon 300 f2.8L, or the 500 f4L.

Tamron Japan Customer Service <inquiry-support@tamron.co.jp>;

Edited on Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM · View previous versions

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

probably standard ass covering while they examine issues behind the scene. I don't expect a quick resolution or an admission there is a problem, at best a quiet fw upgrade and/or a running change on hardware.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Well, after testing the Tamron out with my 7D today from my office window which overlooks an interstate, I can additionally confirm the issue exists. 6D seems ok. However...as was suggested above, taking your finger off the shutter button and basically letting the lens "catch it's breath" for a second seems to wake it up to the fact that it's gotta track something new.

On the positive, it retained AF on moving objects over 10-12 frames no problem. So for me and my uses, I don't see this issue stopping me from enjoying the lens (racetracks etc.) but if I were a birder I'd consider it a bigger issue.

I guess the reality is that at $1k and 150-600mm zoom range, something had to give. The IQ seems to be very good, build good, and good VC, so an AF system that seems to struggle with certain Canon bodies under a demanding AI Servo usage appears to be the "give".

For me, it isn't a big deal, but for others I could definitely see this being a deal breaker.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:14 AM
surfinrobin

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

....."unless you happen to own one of the latest bodies in the Canon line up, in which case your lens will work as you'd expect in AI Servo"...

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:18 AM
gocolts
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

surfinrobin wrote:
....."unless you happen to own one of the latest bodies in the Canon line up, in which case your lens will work as you'd expect in AI Servo"...

Sounds like that's just an excuse for me to buy a newer Canon body for sports stuff....

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Even shooting BIF at 1200mm I don't have to deal with those sort of "fixes"

Feb 12, 2014 at 05:08 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

surfinrobin wrote:

Yeah, all those idiots with their lame ass trailing edge 7D's and 1D IV's expecting an AF lens to to actually AF. How naive can you get! Wake up and smell the coffee people.

Feb 12, 2014 at 05:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

greenfield

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

it's the camera which operates/directs the AF - the lens is just being told what to do

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:14 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

greenfield wrote:
it's the camera which operates/directs the AF - the lens is just being told what to do

And the lens is not doing what it is told to do.

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:38 AM
greenfield

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

quite a claim

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:47 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

IYO

Feb 12, 2014 at 06:58 AM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Anyone thought to check:
On the 1DIV CFn 111-5 (may be different depending on body) "Lens Drive when AF impossible"
0 = focus search On
1 = focus search Off

Default is usually set at 1.
Try setting to 0.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

PaulB wrote:
Anyone thought to check:
On the 1DIV CFn 111-5 (may be different depending on body) "Lens Drive when AF impossible"
0 = focus search On
1 = focus search Off

Default is usually set at 1.
Try setting to 0.

A few people did have this being their problem on the 70D but the 7D and 1D4 users that I have seen post have confirmed they have that setting to "on". I know Tony did as he surely knows his cameras.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:59 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Then it really isn't a 'fault' but just the way the AF reacts to a massively out of focus image where there is no contrast.
I have seen similar from macro lenses where there has been plenty of illumination but a very low contrast subject, as well as from long lenses (including Canon L's) which are asked to go from extremes of focus.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:25 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

PaulB wrote:
Then it really isn't a 'fault' but just the way the AF reacts to a massively out of focus image where there is no contrast.
I have seen similar from macro lenses where there has been plenty of illumination but a very low contrast subject, as well as from long lenses (including Canon L's) which are asked to go from extremes of focus.

The issue is not about moving focus from near to far which is a difficult task in such huge focal range lens. The issue is that once locked on the AIServo won't run and keep tracking the subject. Totally unrelated phenomena.

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:31 PM
jjbird

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Have been talking to Tamron for over two weeks on this Aiservo issue and the fact it does or does not work on certain canon bodies. Yesterday I sent them the lens and my 7D, so I am hopeful they will now experience the issue first hand from a registered owner. I have shot well over 1500 BIF images with my Canon 6D body and have had good results using Aiservo. Some of these are posted on my website. http://jjbird.smugmug.com/Photography/Tamron-150600-Lens/i-GKtJqV8

There dealings with me have been vary professional, and I sure hope this will be resolved as I really like this lens.
Jay

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:11 PM
shutterbug guy
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tamrons Response To AI Servo Issue.

Short answer and I'm sure to be badgered over this response.

It's all about the light, some bodies perform better than others with limited aperture. At f6.3 we're seeing this, plain and simple.

Roger

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password