Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Should people do the post processing to show the lens capabilities

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Should people do the post processing to show the lens capabilities

The same can be said with regard to which sensor is being used as well and likely even more important is the contrast level of the lighting. I can take a killer image with a crap lens in great light and it look better than a great lens in crap light.

As long as disclosure (ask if you need to) as to whether it is RAW, SOOC (which still doesn't tell you the setting variance) or PP'd is available, I think it is honest and fair to present either for final product or for lens performance.

One thing I've learned is that different lenses can benefit from different processing approaches as one size does not fit all. Add in the lighting and sensor variables with different sooc algorithms and ... YUP ... it can be a challenge to discern how much to attribute to the lens vs. some other piece of the puzzle en route to the final image ... particularly with things like color/contrast which are highly subjective and variable though camera settings.

Imo, if significant CA and distortion have been corrected in PP, I think it prudent to note such. Much like it is prudent to note if an image has had NR applied when asking about sensor performance. Otherwise, it would seem likely to consider them "reasonably" the same as sooc/raw (profiles notwithstanding) for their aberrations.

Short answer ... it depends.

I've not posted much imagery in the Alt Forum in recent years (which is very lens oriented), but when I have, I typically annotate PP'd vs. SOOC vs. RAW. In the Photo Critique Forum, it is not lens oriented, so it is mostly assumed that we areonly talking about finished product, which is understood to include "photo finishing" or PP.

I think too ... it depends on the context of the thread. In the "Alt Flower" thread, I expect those to be finished products, PP included. In lens specific thread, I expect those to annotate RAW vs. SOOC vs. PP'd so we know if we are looking at corrected or uncorrected images.

Feb 13, 2014 at 05:36 PM
wfrank
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Should people do the post processing to show the lens capabilities

I'll add that different post processing programs matters too. Even different versions of the same; ACR 8 is ACR 7 on steroids, Adobe boosted some levers in the latter. Easier than ever to go Hipstamatic already in the RAW converter.

Feb 13, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Manoj
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Should people do the post processing to show the lens capabilities

I don't think you have asked the wrong question. If there was a comparative test being done between two lenses, the lens should be the only variable and everything else should be the same. But I don't think this forum is primarily a place where people do only these type of tests. As Carsten as written (closest to what I want to say), most people here look at it as art and are interested in the final product. If you make a buying decision based on the images posted here, then there will be disappointment (although it won't get rid of GAS).

However, I have come across a lot of instances where people have requested others (who have recently acquired a lens) to post SOOC images and they have complied. If that will give you any idea then great. Although, you can still make out how a lens renders a scene based on the images here and I dont think that be added in post. This aspect, you will not find on a lens review site, where it's mostly about measurements.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.