New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

This isn't a "tell me what to buy" post. It's really a request for insight on what camera to use as a back up to a 1Dx. For years I've shot with used pro-bodies: a 1DIIn and a 1DsII, then a 1DIII/IV with a 1DsIII. The advantage of this approach was that I'd have shared batteries, L brackets, and similar command structures. (At one time in my 1DIIn days every single lens took a 77mm cap. That was sweet.) The backup (either way) wouldn't have the same capacities as the other, but could get me by in a jam.

I had to sell my 1DIV and my 1DsIII to fund the 1Dx leaving me with only one body. I was kneeling at the base line in a very hot basketball playoff game, when my 1Dx decided to brick. Fumbling around trying to resuscitate the thing while ducking balls and players made me realize I had no fall-back and I'd be looking at unmet deadlines. (I finally pulled the battery and the 1Dx came back to life. 3x time so I'm guessing it needs to visit Canon.)

This experience left me wondering how to solve the problem. Someday I expect Canon will release a 40 gigapixel pro-body monster labeled 1D-give-me-all-your-money. Can't imagine how I'd ever buy one.

I realize the 5DIII is Canon's 2nd best camera right now but it also is quite expensive (~$3k+). It seems to be a perfectly competent device. I'm curious how others are dealing with this. Did you just have enough capital to add the 1Dx and retain your older gear? Did you move to another body? If so, what? Are you running without backup? (I don't see that as an option.) Does one drop back to the xxD series? How about the 6D? I make the largest share of my income shooting high school sports for a paper and relatives (hence the 1Dx), but my real passion - and a fair amount of income - comes from landscape and "art" photos.

So how are you all dealing with the 2nd camera question?

Robert

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:23 PM
silvestography

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

If you don't mind having a lot less AF points (but one really good one), a smaller body and 4.5 fps, the 6D is your move. As far as IQ is concerned, the 6D comes closer to the 1Dx than anything else canon makes, especially in the high ISO department (and quite probably has more DR than the 1Dx).

I'm in a different boat since the 6D is my main body, but I do still have a 600D as backup.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:30 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I most often use my 1DX with a 1DIV, but I don't hesitate to use it alongside a 6D.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:40 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I would get the 1d body that you can afford so battery and functionality would be most similar. probably a 1d3 or 1d4 would be best options. I have 6d and wouldn't use it for sports unless it is in a very dark venue or night football. 5d3 would be better, but for the price, I would go 1d4.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:49 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I'm dealing with much the same scenario Robert. I sold my 1D4/1D2 to help pay for my 1DX so I've been using a single body for a little over a year. It's not a critical percentage of my income so I have felt comfortable doing this but it's also not something I want to do indefinitely.

I've got some money set aside for a second body and am hoping the 7D2 fills that role. The 1DX has superior high ISO for indoor sports and I like the FF FOV on my 70-200 for shooting close but I miss my 1D4 for field sports where I'm FL limited a lot of times. A pro level APS-C body would really help in that regard and be a perfect companion to the 1DX.

If Canon does not announce a 7D2 soon I might pick up a used 1D4 or a refurbished 5D3. I really wish I could have kept my 1D4 but I just did not have the money to get a 1DX at the time.

I would love a high MP 1DX2 with a real internal crop but that is probably going to be $10K+ and I had all I could do to justify $7K so that is probably beyond my means.

Feb 11, 2014 at 02:29 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I have the 1DX and 5D3. They are very similar in many ways, most importantly in the operational ways. They are both FF, so the lenses "are the same" when I need to pack the bag. The cameras are also different enough that there are clear advantages when to pack one or the other, or in cases when I pack both, when to use which one.

When I had the 5D2 alongside the 1Ds3 that wasn't nearly as convenient as the operation of both cameras was quite different.

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:19 PM
remoras
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Hey Robert,

I can relate. My main camera is the 1dx. I upgraded from a 5dII which I still have as a backup. I took the 5dII with me last week-end for some snapshots. The 5dII felt like a toy while it was my main workhorse for so long. I would have a hard time working with my 5dII if my 1dx would break down. But I still keep it as my backup and see no reason to buy a 5diii. In case my 1dx breaks down I will be forced to shoot with my 5dii. But that is not that bad. It will only be for that day. The next day I can easily rent another 1dx.
As long as my backup can allow me to survive the day I am fine.
I do think the image quality needs to be the same or similar. I have worked with the 5dii for so long I trust it will do the job. Even though it will take me a few shots to get use to the AF again

I usually shoot local gigs which means I can always call someone to go and rent or borrow another 1dx.
So, maybe a used 5dii will do the trick for you too?

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:48 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

OntheRez wrote:
I realize the 5DIII is Canon's 2nd best camera right now but it also is quite expensive (~$3k+). It seems to be a perfectly competent device. I'm curious how others are dealing with this. Did you just have enough capital to add the 1Dx and retain your older gear? Did you move to another body? If so, what? Are you running without backup? (I don't see that as an option.) Does one drop back to the xxD series? How about the 6D? I make the largest share of my income shooting high school sports for a paper and relatives (hence
...Show more

Well, just going off the part you stated above, that seems to eliminate the 1DIV and 5DIII simply based on price.

That seems to leave the 6D if you want to stay FF and current tech wise. The 6D introduces another type of memory card and battery, but it gives interchangeable focus screens.

Then there is the 1DsIII that seems to be selling for ~$2500 USD. Is that in your budget? Seems to still be a respectable camera for low ISO work.

Probably not much help, but the 6D seems to be a logical choice.

I don't think I could ever go back to a 1.6x camera.

Feb 11, 2014 at 04:26 PM
catkinr

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I would get a 1D Mark IV. It is a 1.3 crop sensor, which will help you if you shoot sports with long lenses. You can probably get one for about 3k used.

Bob

Feb 11, 2014 at 04:36 PM
hillwalker

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Another vote for the 6D. Good performance in a very different/smaller form factor than your 1Dx. It will also lend itself well to the landscape and art photos you do. But in will not be in the same league as the 1Dx for sports work, obviously.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

It sounds like you would only be using this second body in the type of emergency situations you described and not as a second body with another lens on it. If that is the case I would purchase a used 1D3 for around $1000. You know how to use it as you have owned it in the past, it will have the FPS that you likely need if the 1DX bricks on you again and I'm sure you will get the images with it as you likely did in the past.

If you don't want to go back that far in age then 6D would be a good option. If you are willing to spend 3K then the 5D3 would be the best option unless you feel like you will need the high FPS and then a used 1D4 would be better than the 5D3 or 6D.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I had an X last spring for a couple months I used both the 1d4 & 5d3 to back it up, however, that said, I was going through some of my "old" basketball images and found my 1d3 produced very sellable sports images in all but the worst venues. I used it regularly at ISO 3200+ (W/ some NR PP). At under $1,000, it can use the same battery, is built like a tank etc.... Otherwise, I'd go hunt for a really good deal on a used 5d3 if you need the high ISO....

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:18 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Don't know if this will help you, but the 6D is becoming more & more interesting to me by the day, despite the fact that I usually swear by the 1-series bodies..

If money is of no object, I still think a 1DX & 1D4 combo is tough to beat

Feb 12, 2014 at 02:28 AM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

I'm also in same situation. Sold my 1d4 to offset the cost of 1Dx... If I could've 1d4 as backup, I would have never sold it. I think I may go with 1D3 as a back up. Had it before but sold it to offset the cost of 1D4.
I think it's priced just right for 1D3. It shares the same battery and similar 1D series functions.
Now off to do my tax return

/r
Andy

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:10 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Sorry to hear of the problem I sent you a PM. Jim

Feb 12, 2014 at 07:56 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Well, I now am officially certifiable (something my friends and family have long maintained , but I solved the problem by finding a particularly good deal on a 5DIII at a net $2800 using the printer promotion and peddling the printer to a friend for $100. Guess I can't blame my bad shots on the gear any more (I won't go into the various financial wiggling and peddling it took to make it happen.)

The 1Dx is in the shop as CPS has officially determined that it really wasn't designed to turn into a brick at random intervals. Waiting to see what happens with that.

Robert

Feb 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1Dx: 2nd camera options?

Good choice!

Feb 13, 2014 at 03:34 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.