FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

ucphotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Yes, D800, not D600.

I have had some spots in the upper left corner for awhile. No amount of sensor cleaning would change them. They were relatively minor. Then recently, there's a big spot almost dead center. All of them are about the same size. I'm guessing oil. The dark one in the middle is getting really annoying ...

Anyhow, I have heard cleaning sensors is something that can be reasonably done "at home". A nearby shop wants the camera for a full week if they do it, and I'm reluctant to part with it for that long.

So, I am looking for information on this subject.

1. How hard is it to do?

2. If it is reasonable to do yourself, what product(s) do you recommend?

Thanks.

Dave

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:38 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

I bought this kit from Copperhill.
http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=9
I didn't need to clean the sensor after using the rocket blower. But from reading instructions, watching videos and advice from FMRs it looks fairly simple once you get past the fear.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

ucphotog wrote:
A nearby shop wants the camera for a full week if they do it, and I'm reluctant to part with it for that long.

That's crazy. I've never heard of a shop taking more than a few hours. You should ask another place. A 30 minute wait and $50 charge is normal.

It's not really that hard though. Just buy quality cleaning materials, make sure you use mirror lockup for cleaning, and use a fully charged battery.

Personally I haven't cleaned my own in ages though because I live near Nikon's office and they are good about giving free sensor cleanings to NPS members.

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

You can do this yourself for $39.99. Try the Delkin Digital Duster kit.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:12 AM
FX4Life

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Try the New jelly stick wand. Supposedly it's the same tool that Nikon services use when you send your DSLR for sensor cleaning.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:50 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

I've cleaned my own sensor since... you weren't suppose to do it yourself.. I had recently asked on here about new products and some bloke pointed me towards the copperhill product line.

So on a lark (and using up one of my Xmas wishes) I had someone get this for me. I think they call it ' megapak ' or some such thing. The kit? It was piece meal. The kind of thing that a place would shop for bits, assemble them in a box (and call it a KIT) and there you have it.

I've recently used all the products sent (including the festive candy roll included) to clean off 2 bodys.

On a visual inspection, they pass. Upon bringing the image into ACR and whilst holding the ALT key, bump up the 'masking' slider in the sharpen area, one can see where it worked..and where it didn't. There is also some swirl marks that remind me on my teen years and doing black-lite doodle art that aren't going away any time soon. But again, this is the ACR interpretation and not the visual one alone (eg) blue sky, f/22, which now return completely unremarkable results and no spots.

I'm indifferent about the products, assembly of the same, and the results.

The ONE bad thing I want to offer up on this product line up is this.. The swab holder has to be wrapped with the swab cleaning ends. To attach them to the holder. One must use 'Avery' sticky labels that they have cut into strips to wrap the sensor swab at the end of the sensor cleaning wand.. THIS SUCKS.

I've taken to using scotch tape. Faster and easier to deploy with one hand holding the waiting 2 pieces for a bond. And... the cleaning sensor material. I'm calling hoooweee on this material too. It DOES produce 'fuzzies' and they will be left behind on the sensor after your wipes. No if ands or buts about it.

The squeeze blower would not remove these and it did require a few hits of canned air.

So as far as the copperhill stuff goes.. that's my take on it.

Feb 11, 2014 at 02:12 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

I have wet clean my sensors from the days you had to assemble your own pieces. For a long time though I have used the Eclipse system. Well made swabs and cleaning solution. Easy to do, if it takes anyone more than 5 mins there is something wrong or they are cleaning a D600...

Use it... it's easy and simple.

Jim

Feb 11, 2014 at 03:53 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

A lot of people like the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly stuff, certainly it sounds fun, spinning wheels and using static and all that jazz : http://www.visibledust.com/index.php

Here in Shanghai it costs me US$8-10 a pop per sensor clean so I let the pros do it for me

Feb 11, 2014 at 04:24 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

If the post is a complaint about the D800 needing cleaning, forget it. All bodies need cleaning. My D800e has had to have been cleaned at least four times since I've owned it. Many bodies need it brand new.

Now I have to ask, are the spots what you see through the viewfinder or on a final image? If through the viewfinder it's most likely dust on or under the focusing screen. If on the final image, then it is the low pass filter.

Regardless, the cleaning sequence that works for me is 1) the blower, 2) arctic butterfly, and 3) if it still doesn't work a wet cleaning.

Feb 11, 2014 at 05:36 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

John Skinner wrote:

The ONE bad thing I want to offer up on this product line up is this.. The swab holder has to be wrapped with the swab cleaning ends. To attach them to the holder. One must use 'Avery' sticky labels that they have cut into strips to wrap the sensor swab at the end of the sensor cleaning wand.. THIS SUCKS.

I've taken to using scotch tape. Faster and easier to deploy with one hand holding the waiting 2 pieces for a bond. And... the cleaning sensor material. I'm calling hoooweee on this material too. It DOES produce 'fuzzies' and
...Show more

I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with our tools. But let me point out a few things:

1) our directions clearly state that once you are done with the included Avery strips, it is perfectly fine and even advisable to use scotch tape; there is NO mention that you must use the Avery strips

2) QuikStrips must be handled with the utmost care as stated clearly in the directions; too much "manhandling" when wrapping them WILL lead to loose fibres

3) the directions also state clearly to blow off the strip AFTER it is attached to the swab and before the Eclipse is applied; this will remove most if not all of the loose fibres

4) the directions also state you MUST not hit the sidewall/rim with the swab; this too will pull strands of material out

5) the MEGA kit includes a static-brush and a SensorKlear pen, these tools are ideal for removing loose strands from the sensor

I'm sorry you did not contact us first with your concerns, if you did I would have given you these tips directly or reminded you that all of them are included in the literature you received with the kit.

Nicholas
Moderator - please delete this post if it is against forum rules, thanks

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:37 AM
jc9394
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

I use your kit and have no issue with it. The first time took me three swaps to fully clean the sensor, now one swap I have a clean D800E sensor.

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:48 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

jc9394 wrote:
I use your kit and have no issue with it. The first time took me three swaps to fully clean the sensor, now one swap I have a clean D800E sensor.

jc9394,

Thanks for your comments.

Look, some people like yourself take to wet-cleaning readily and easily while others may have a moderate to steep learning-curve. Then there are others still that should just stick with dry tools and leave the wet-cleaning for others to handle.

It is crucial for ANY sensor cleaning method to first read and understand everthing that is available, then, for some, practice over and over until you're fairly confident. Although the basic process is simple, you MUST be precise in your preparation and execution or you will wind up with loose fibres or minor fluid streaks.

Regards,
Nicholas

Feb 11, 2014 at 08:08 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Nickle S. wrote:
I'm sorry you had such a negative experience with our tools. But let me point out a few things:

1) our directions clearly state that once you are done with the included Avery strips, it is perfectly fine and even advisable to use scotch tape; there is NO mention that you must use the Avery strips

2) QuikStrips must be handled with the utmost care as stated clearly in the directions; too much "manhandling" when wrapping them WILL lead to loose fibres

3) the directions also state clearly to blow off the strip AFTER it is attached to the swab and before
...Show more

With all due respect Nicholas, at 53 and my first digital being two D1x bodies, I'm pretty familiar with the entire sensor thing. And with that, I did in fact pour over all the written goods that came with my kit. I also use a self-made static / clean station just for this procedure along with surgical gloves.

In other words, there is due diligence on my end, and I'm merely not snapping open containers and items hoping for the best results.

My comments as I said reflected and unbiased truthful account of my using the product over a 2 month period.

I do quite a bit of bird shooting this time of year and with that, changing lenses in the field. I collect my fair share of gunk and bits. So the cleaning for me is a necessary evil. It's recently in pricing out other options besides the Visible Dust line up and dropping it off for service in town, someone mentioned the copperhill items.

And although I said the results were merely 'unremarkable', I also said they worked. And maybe I should have said they worked with a substantial savings over the other makers of the same product types.

I could in point of fact, find other things that bugged me.. But, why? The bottom line for me is this.. Although it wasn't as painless and flawless as I would have liked it to be. It still worked, and I DO have clean sensors.

My only real concern.... real concern, was the material being used for the swab ends.. I have no idea if that's something anyone would even bother to look at or improve upon.

I WILL be ordering more of this product from copperhill.. The candies in the box got me interested and to chuckle cause I'm a sucker for good P.R. and that type of thing. The price, and just you showing concern here and voicing that concern tells me as a company.. It's not all about selling a person, you do give a dam.

Perfect?, Nope. But value for the money it gets a 9/10.

Feb 11, 2014 at 06:38 PM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

John Skinner wrote:
With all due respect Nicholas, at 53 and my first digital being two D1x bodies, I'm pretty familiar with the entire sensor thing. And with that, I did in fact pour over all the written goods that came with my kit. I also use a self-made static / clean station just for this procedure along with surgical gloves.

In other words, there is due diligence on my end, and I'm merely not snapping open containers and items hoping for the best results.

My comments as I said reflected and unbiased truthful account of my using the product over a 2
...Show more

John,

Thank you for the extended explanation, I did not intend to demean your capabilities at all. Many people read these threads and your first post raised some valid questions regarding our products, I hope I have helped you and others with my tips. Sensor cleaning is NOT an exact science by any means and everyone must find their own protocol that works.

We've been in the businees going on 11 years and the tools have basically stayed the same over that period. We are extremely proud of our reputation, we desperately want all of our customers to be happy with our products.

Best regards,
Nicholas

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:13 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Thanks, all, for the feedback. Sorry for the radio silence. I posted my question and then got sidetracked with ... life. I try not to let that happen, but sometimes you just can't help it.

There are at least a couple of interesting product tips here. I will investigate further.

Thanks, again!

Feb 15, 2014 at 01:54 AM
pmac1985
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Frogfish wrote:
A lot of people like the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly stuff, certainly it sounds fun, spinning wheels and using static and all that jazz : http://www.visibledust.com/index.php

Here in Shanghai it costs me US$8-10 a pop per sensor clean so I let the pros do it for me

where do you get it done I'm in shanghai soon and could do with getting it cleaned. here i would have to send it away.

Feb 15, 2014 at 04:19 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

pmac1985 wrote:
where do you get it done I'm in shanghai soon and could do with getting it cleaned. here i would have to send it away.

It's right on the corner of Luban Lu (Lu means road) and Xie Tu Lu (about 10-20 mins from most places downtown), about a 25-35rmb taxi ride. You need to quote both roads as that's how the taxi drivers know how to find an address (door numbers don't work so well).

You can't miss it. There are 3 buildings together, each of 3 to 6 floors and you can easily spend hours there ! It is where most of the pros shop. Ground floor I avoid (typically pushy sales and unknowledgeable staff) and go to the 2nd or 3rd floors for new equipment. Make sure you know the prices before you go (check the Chinese site taobao.com - you can put in the brand name and model number in English), there is no real haggling here for new prices, just a 100-200 rmb discount at most.

Check out all the floors. You can walk through to the 2nd building, new stuff on the ground floor but then all the floors above are used equipment. The 3rd building is for printing and framing.

Note : used equipment will give you a 1 to 3 month local warranty, new equipment a 1 year Chinese warranty, if it is 'Grey' (meaning someone went to Japan to import it themselves to save tax) then the price will be a little lower (maybe 5-10%) but you will only get a 1 year local warranty from the retailer themselves, this isn't a problem for me and I've always had great service for repairs.

For repairs and sensor cleaning go to the 5th floor (I think, it may be the 6th) when you get off the escalator turn left back on yourself and the tiny shop on the right corner, by the far edge of the escalator well, is the old guy I use - wonderful service (takes about 15-20 mins). The whole floor is made up of repair shops though and I guess they all charge roughly the same.

PM me if you need any help on arrival.
Cheers
Kevin

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:26 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

All you need.

http://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Feb 15, 2014 at 06:40 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Hi Nicholas, I called and talked to you last year as I was preparing to buy a D600 and figured a cleaning method would be a likely necessity. You were very patient, helpful and emphasized the importance of following the instructions and taking your time on the initial cleaning. I ordered a kit from you as a result. Shortly afterwards the D610 was announced so I bought one instead. So far so good, but I have your product ready to go in the event it's needed. Just wanted to say that I appreciated you taking the time to answer the plethora of questions I had and follow up email questions as well.

Feb 15, 2014 at 09:02 AM
Nickle S.
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800 Sensor Needs Cleaning

Kell wrote:
Hi Nicholas, I called and talked to you last year as I was preparing to buy a D600 and figured a cleaning method would be a likely necessity. You were very patient, helpful and emphasized the importance of following the instructions and taking your time on the initial cleaning. I ordered a kit from you as a result. Shortly afterwards the D610 was announced so I bought one instead. So far so good, but I have your product ready to go in the event it's needed. Just wanted to say that I appreciated you taking the time to answer the
...Show more

Nicholas

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.