New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

I need to buy a used iMac for a new photographer we're hiring. Anywhere you guys would look? Somewhere trusted? The refurbished ones from Apple charge sales tax, bleh, and I don't trust eBay for a purchase this big. Thanks for any suggestions

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:30 PM
Lovesong
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

The buy tech forum?

Else, try macrumors's buy/sell page

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:56 PM
MDelinquento
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

Powermax out of Portland, Oregon I've purchased multiple Macs from in the past. No sales tax in OR, but with S&H YMMV.

Dealmac.com is a good site that features sales on both new, refurbed, and used. I've purchased refurbs from non-Apple-owned shops before, though they get their certified product from Apple.

M

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:37 AM
tarzan1234

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

You may want to try Amazon Warehouse Deals. They often have a lot of "used" stuff with excellent quality. Try to look at those rated as "used-very good" or "used-like new". I've bought a lot of stuff from them at a significant discount and have been very happy with the quality. They are just like new, often come with the original packaging with no or little sign of previous use (if it is rated as "like new"). When you look up an item on Amazon, there's an option called "more buying choices" on the right. Click on it and you'll see offers from all other sellers. Amazon Warehouse Deals is a division of Amazon that sells returned merchandise. They also offer free shipping and it's 2-day service if you're an Amazon Prime member.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

MDelinquento wrote:
Powermax out of Portland, Oregon I've purchased multiple Macs from in the past. No sales tax in OR, but with S&H YMMV.

[snip]

M

+1
I've been dealing with PowerMax for 10+ years. Absolutely stand up people. They accurately test and describe the gear they sell. They also have an excellent program of buy new from them and down the road when you want to upgrade they pay shipping both ways. They also regularly have sales which include S&H.

You can get cheaper gear off Fleabay, but that's clearly a buyer beware market. PowerMax provides a 90-day warranty. It's a question of how risk adverse you are. I do all my computer business with PM and have sent dozens of acquaintances to them over the years.

Robert

Feb 11, 2014 at 12:16 PM
acktdi

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

I like Cowboom.com for used Apple equipment. They're a Bestbuy company and usually the items come in good refurb condition with warranty.

Feb 13, 2014 at 01:33 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

I've had very good fortune and great customer service from Mac of All Trades ...

http://www.macofalltrades.com

Feb 13, 2014 at 02:21 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

ohsnaphappy wrote:
I need to buy a used iMac for a new photographer we're hiring. Anywhere you guys would look? Somewhere trusted? The refurbished ones from Apple charge sales tax, bleh, and I don't trust eBay for a purchase this big. Thanks for any suggestions

I totally trust ebay!!! I do most of my buying and selling there. I don't dig some of their dispute policies but that's another issue… You can tell if you're dealing with someone credible just by talking to them, asking a few questions, and looking at their previous sales records. Second up for me would be Craig's list or one of the other auction sites (Yahoo is big in Japan). Third on my list would be Apple themselves in their refurbished listings. I would never ever use one of those "mac sites" who /specialize/ in buying and selling used Apple gear - no way! Those guys are all rip-offs! They rip within the law but still total rip-offs! I would never support their kind! Better to let some guy on ebay get an honest return on his past purchase than support sharks and rip-offs like them.

Feb 13, 2014 at 07:01 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Where to Shop for Used Macs

Thanks guys! I bought 3.4 i7 with 1TB fusion drive from Macmall for $1899. It's brand new technically, so still has 1 year warranty. Plus I got Apple Care from Amazon. I wanted to pay like $1200-$1400 for a used one, but why not fork out a few hundred dollars more and be covered by warranty?

Apple had the same model refurbished, but I'd have to pay sales tax, and mine is brand new. So I feel decent about it.

You know what happens now right? Retina iMac. Of course. Ha!

Feb 13, 2014 at 07:56 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.