Wagon Wheel Rim Patch

Edited on Feb 11, 2014 at 07:50 PM · View previous versions

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:07 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back to Callaway + RW

Bob,

Really like the rust colors of the milk can. It MIGHT (and I stress might) look better in a high contrast BW.

The lines do an excellent job of putting the eye's focus squarely on the can itself.

The vignetting on the lower corners are only minor distractions on an otherwise fantastic capture.

As far as the wagon wheel goes, you totally nailed the plane of focus as well as the choice to go BW with it. This is definitely one of your better shots that you've recently posted. Love it!

Cheers,

Jeff

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back to Callaway + RW

beavens wrote:
Bob,

Really like the rust colors of the milk can. It MIGHT (and I stress might) look better in a high contrast BW.

The lines do an excellent job of putting the eye's focus squarely on the can itself.

The vignetting on the lower corners are only minor distractions on an otherwise fantastic capture.

As far as the wagon wheel goes, you totally nailed the plane of focus as well as the choice to go BW with it. This is definitely one of your better shots that you've recently posted. Love it!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks, glad you enjoy the images. Do not recall whether #2 was @1.4 or 2.8?

I did a BW of #1 but it sort of fell flat and compressed whereas the color adds some depth. Anyway, my take on it.

Thanks again,

Bob

Feb 11, 2014 at 09:55 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Back to Callaway + RW

Bob,
Really like your composition and colors in #1...
Some minor suggestions...
I find the slightly angled siding to be odd... Not sure if the angled siding is from processing or natural? I think the milk can is fine, but the siding is throwing me off.

I find the y-shaped stick in the bottom center to be distracting. Maybe clone it out?

Agree with beavens that I'd prefer slightly less vignetting overall. I think the heavy vignette covers up some cool texture you'd have with the hay in the foreground.

Again, really good find and good composition...

- John

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:38 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Back to Callaway + RW

FarmerJohn wrote:
Bob,
Really like your composition and colors in #1...
Some minor suggestions...
I find the slightly angled siding to be odd... Not sure if the angled siding is from processing or natural? I think the milk can is fine, but the siding is throwing me off.

I find the y-shaped stick in the bottom center to be distracting. Maybe clone it out?

Agree with beavens that I'd prefer slightly less vignetting overall. I think the heavy vignette covers up some cool texture you'd have with the hay in the foreground.

Again, really good find and good composition...

- John

John,

Thank you for your comments - I need to go look at the image again, I think the floor is sagging producing the off-vertical lines.

At the moment my appetite for vignette seems a bit much

Regards,

Bob

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:40 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Back to Callaway + RW

I lean towards the second version of the milk can. Plenty of interest, not quite as dulled down, less color shift from the vignette.
Second image is quite interesting with wonderful processing. Takes me a bit of time to identify the subject, but plenty to study along the way.
Scott

Feb 11, 2014 at 08:26 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Back to Callaway + RW

sbeme wrote:
I lean towards the second version of the milk can. Plenty of interest, not quite as dulled down, less color shift from the vignette.
Second image is quite interesting with wonderful processing. Takes me a bit of time to identify the subject, but plenty to study along the way.
Scott

Scott,

Thanks, I'm often too quick to pull the trigger, need to let things soak awhile, in this case work up alternatives to have several choices.

Tired of winter?

Major ice here, expect to lose power during the day (lights just blinked!) through at least tomorrow.

Hopefully not.

Regards,

Bob

Feb 12, 2014 at 08:24 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Back to Callaway + RW

Bob,

The second version is a huge improvement in my opinion.

The lines from the building guide my eyes to that gorgeous rust color and the nicely textured grassy ground does a really good job of providing a cushion which for some reasons keeps my eyes on the prize (milk can).

No more distracting vignette either!

Only thing I would suggest would be to bring the shadows up just a tiny bit to get more detail on the lip and handles of the can.

Good work!

Jeff

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Back to Callaway + RW

beavens wrote:
Bob,

The second version is a huge improvement in my opinion.

The lines from the building guide my eyes to that gorgeous rust color and the nicely textured grassy ground does a really good job of providing a cushion which for some reasons keeps my eyes on the prize (milk can).

No more distracting vignette either!

Only thing I would suggest would be to bring the shadows up just a tiny bit to get more detail on the lip and handles of the can.

Good work!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Most helpful suggestions...

Bob

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Back to Callaway + RW

Love it Bob!

My last and extraordinarily nitty comment - in the lower-left corner there is either some aberration or actually something blue in the frame. It's so very minor but really clashes with the colors you've got going on. Clone that guy out and you've got a real keeper here.

Cheers,

Jeff

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Back to Callaway + RW

beavens wrote:
Love it Bob!

My last and extraordinarily nitty comment - in the lower-left corner there is either some aberration or actually something blue in the frame. It's so very minor but really clashes with the colors you've got going on. Clone that guy out and you've got a real keeper here.

Cheers,

Jeff

That get it?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Back to Callaway + RW

beavens wrote:
Looks better! I can still see it, but I really think it's only because I know it's there. Doesn't pull the eye nearly as much as before.

I cannot see it - not surprised.

Thanks,

Bob

Feb 12, 2014 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.