Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

luke0622
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

this just came to my attention today, well, I've seen my work being altered a few times by this person (@nkartwork) on Instagram, and he is advertising and selling services and products, I believe.

I personally see some issues with it.

1. a lot, I mean a whole lot photographs are being altered by this person without any credited being given.

2. seems like this person has been given away the altered images to college athletes (should be a big no no by NCAA standard, could hurt the athletes eligibility)

3. copyright issues?!?!?!?! (even he says "I OWN THE EDITS NOT THE PICS"), sure does not make any sense.

Any other people find this strange or just me?

Discussions are welcome here... I just hate to see my images to be altered, copyrights removed and....

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:15 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

My question is this, Is he using hi resolution images to make his "EDITS" or "ART" from, or is he grabbing low-res. screen grabs and cloning out the watermarks, etc.? Either way, this is wrong. I would just like a few more details if you have them to provide.

Billy-

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:26 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

BillyHurst wrote:
My question is this, Is he using hi resolution images to make his "EDITS" or "ART" from, or is he grabbing low-res. screen grabs and cloning out the watermarks, etc.? Either way, this is wrong. I would just like a few more details if you have them to provide.

Billy-

Whats good, Billy!

I personally think it's just so wrong, just my 2-cent

Feb 10, 2014 at 05:33 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Luke
Here is what I could find and I couldn't agree more. I am seeing more and more of this lately, and a couple of local photographers have recently filed suit against one of these guys, I am interested to see what the outcome is.

"A painting (or graphic illustration or "edit" as this person refers to his work as) made from a photograph is known as a derivative work. But that doesn't mean you can simply make a painting from any photo you find, you need to check the copyright situation of the photo.

The creator of the photograph, i.e. the photographer, usually holds the copyright to the photo and, unless they've expressly given permission for its use, making a painting based on a photo would infringe the photographer's copyright. In terms of US copyright law: "Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work."
You may be able to obtain permission to use a photo for a derivative work from the photographer, or if you're using a photo library buy the right to use it. "

Billy-

Feb 10, 2014 at 06:15 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

And if you check out his IG page, he teaches people how to steal and "edit" stolen images

Feb 10, 2014 at 07:02 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

I'm guessing nobody else cares.

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:14 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

The link is to some non-related pyramid scheme. I can't find where he's giving out info.

John

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:25 PM
John Patrick
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Go here and complain about yours.

http://help.instagram.com/454951664593304

John

Feb 10, 2014 at 09:39 PM
danmc
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

shouldn't the ncaa be mad about the likeness (in uniform) being used for profit by anyone but them

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

It's like me taking one of the photos and crop it 1% and say I own the edit. WTF?

/r
Andy

Feb 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

ggOk wrote:
It's like me taking one of the photos and crop it 1% and say I own the edit. WTF?

/r
Andy

haha, ain't that the truth

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:52 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

John Patrick wrote:
Go here and complain about yours.

http://help.instagram.com/454951664593304

John

for sure, John, I also saw a lot photos that possibly be fellow photographers' work, we'll do that together for sure

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Sounds similar to the Richard Fairey case? http://www.forbes.com/sites/hannahelliott/2012/03/07/artist-shepard-fairey-pleads-guilty-in-criminal-case-could-face-prison-time/

Chris

Feb 11, 2014 at 08:11 AM
kris416
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

I wouldn't be happy about it. Without the pictures you are taking he has nothing to work with.

Feb 11, 2014 at 01:18 PM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

found out who this lil fool is...

Sounds like he is the son of ex Iowa State University Offensive Line coach who coached there for the past 2 seasons... He just got hired for OL coach at Louisville Cardinals during this off season. Well, I've been looking through, I'll have his account taken down soon, hopefully Instagram looks into that

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:14 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Luke,
I applaud you for following through with this. Unfortunately, there's probably one of these lil fools in every major city across the country doing the same thing. Please keep us posted as to what Instagram does, if anything.

Billy-

Feb 11, 2014 at 07:18 PM
Gkross

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

BillyHurst wrote:
Luke,
I applaud you for following through with this. Unfortunately, there's probably one of these lil fools in every major city across the country doing the same thing. Please keep us posted as to what Instagram does, if anything.

Billy-

I've done my research on this the past several months, this is a whole new Instagram cult. I saw a fellow photographers repurposed image of an athlete and looked at the page. Actually there are literally hundreds of these so called "Graffix Artists" on Instagram that repurpose photographers images into posterlike images for money. Do a search on instagram for the word graffix and you will see.

Look at THOROLGRAFFIX 80,000 followers and he edits photographers images and sells them. Its actually part owned by Kevin Serapin the NBA basketball player.

Look at COLLEGEFBGFX he has 32,000 followers and he edits photographers images of top college players and then sells them for $7.50

Look at SPORTSPOSTERS has 50,000 followers and he edits photographers images and sells them

Look at PARAMOUNTGRAFFIX has 40,000 followers and he edits photographers images and sells them

Heres the deal, Ive actually spoken to several before. They are 15-17 year old kids who work in photoshop, they go online and steal the image remove watermark and edits them. Then they try to sell you a personal edit of you or your child.

the best part is .... wait for it ....

They all put their watermark on the image near the persons head so other instagram graffix designers cant "STEAL" their work. Comical

Feb 12, 2014 at 09:06 AM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Gkross wrote:
They all put their watermark on the image near the persons head so other instagram graffix designers cant "STEAL" their work. Comical

Well of course they watermark..... wouldn't want someone stealing their work

It's the way things are now..... people think that if it shows up in a google search it's their to be used.......but just because I can google "how to design a skyscraper" doesn't mean I am going to start designing my own.... although it might make me a crap load of cash.....

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

Plain and simple: This guy (assume) is a common thief!

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM
Steve Gotter
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Attention, all sports photographers. What do y'all think?

This infuriates me; and I haven't seen any of my photos used. I couldn't imagine my anger if someone was taking my shots and "editing" them to turn around and sell.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.